Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)  (Read 38994 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2006, 08:50:40 pm »

I dunno.. a good pasty could suffice, but yes; I suspect it would get old.


I can see it now..
"'lo guv, anyfing t'eat?"
"Nah, just a chippy sandwich and some bread pudding"
"bollocks to that.  They got curry in India as I hear it."
"Bugger off!"
"S'trewth!"
"Right then, I'm off." *Grabs a gun and conquers India through the cunning use of flags*

So you're telling me we DIDN'T invent curry? Bugger!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2006, 09:35:32 pm »

H...h...bastard. I am sorry I insulted your uncle but holy hell! I would do anything to see The Clash AND The Specials at one gig. I would join the Army.

But it's up to you not to heed the call up.

And, CD's here are usually 10-15 for old bands 15-25 for current bands.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:13:31 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2006, 10:40:11 pm »

But... I like Marmite! Truly, we are a match made in Heaven. (Or at least the seedy back alleys of Adult Heaven.)

Bovril is delicious! When spread on buttered toast and eaten as a breakfast snack, there is nothing nicer. Nothing. Weetabix is similarly heavenly when mashed into a sort of gloopy wheaty milky mess, and then mixed with runny honey.


So do they sell the Bovril that's actually 'Beef Extract" anymore or is it just a Beef-flavored yeast paste now? And can you tell the difference between the old Bovril and the new Bovril?
Logged

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2006, 12:21:49 am »

So do they sell the Bovril that's actually 'Beef Extract" anymore or is it just a Beef-flavored yeast paste now? And can you tell the difference between the old Bovril and the new Bovril?

And while you're at it, could you also explain to us what the hell is this ad all about?


[You people got me started on this whole Victorian thing, now I can't get over it.]
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2006, 12:27:47 am »

[You people got me started on this whole Victorian thing, now I can't get over it.]

Don't blame us.. blame Hobot!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2006, 12:32:20 am »

I love giraffe and chips.

how can you not like giraffe and chips?

I have never had Curry. this is my deep, dark, secret. Every time I am about to try it, I chicken out.

can someone suggest a type of curry to try? They all have names which mean nothing to me.

right now my curry experience is limited to Currywurst.


(don't thank me! thank anarchy!)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2006, 12:39:54 am »

It's hard to answer a question as broad as 'what sort of curry should I try' since curry is really different depending on which national cuisine you may be trying.

That said, I think a good 'gateway curry' that should be easily accessible to you is a Thai curry. Try a nice thai red curry. It has the sweetness of coconut milk and the pleasant tang of curry without a spicy bite. Thai food also often features a really nice basil curry.

If you like spicy food, go for the Evil Jungle Prince. I've found this in almost every Thai restaurant I've been in.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2006, 12:53:58 am »

Everyone loves Aloo Gobi, at least if they like potatoes and cauliflower. At least, this has been my experience, though I've had some pretty weak Aloo Gobi too. Channa masala (chickpea) is also pretty popular, as is Saag Paneer (minced spinach with fresh cheese) though the cheese is pretty squeaky and might freak you out if you're not expecting it. I mean, it depends on what kind of stuff you'd like outside of curry too.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2006, 12:55:13 am »

Curry Schmurry... Garlic Naan is the sign that there is something worthwhile in the world. 

Seriously.. Garlic Naan.  All day long.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2006, 01:02:58 am »

Crazy foodies.  No one knows what you're talking about!
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:03 am »

it makes me so mad that there isn't a single worthwhile Thai place in this city.

a couple weeks ago, I finally went to the place that's been voted "best thai in charlotte"
it was horrible.
horrible.


All I know is, the greatest single meal I have ever eaten was the Pad Thai at "Taste of Thai" in Ithaca New York. (maybe part of it is that I was there with some of the best friends I've ever had, but that's neither here nor there)
the ultimate pad thai is sweet and spicy at the same time, with the way the flavors blend together combining with a "mushy" texture to create culinary perfection.
I am bad at describing food. it was incredible.

but yes, Red Thai curry sounds good-- not too spicy, a little sweet...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2006, 01:18:11 am »

The indian recommendations are good, too. Aloo Ghobi is very good. So is Panak Paneer (but you better like spinach!)

If you live in a crap-restaurant kind of place, either get to the nearest big city (Chicago was awesome) or make your own curry.
Curry Recipes A-go-go
(this site seems only to have Indian curry - there's lots of good Thai and Japanese and I imagine SW Chinese curries too)

I just remembered I posted a recipe on this board for curried duck. It's a laotian recipe. It works well with Beef too but you have to make an adjustment. I think I posted the adjustment too.


Garlic naan is good too but bread ain't curry, Q. I personally like the naan with the onion seeds on it.
IF you need it, here's a link to a garlic naan recipe. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch.
Garlic Naan

EDIT: Here is the Link to the Lao Duck Curry

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:27:42 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2006, 01:25:10 am »



Garlic naan is good too but bread ain't curry, Q. I personally like the naan with the onion seeds on it.
IF you need it, here's a link to a garlic naan recipe. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch.
Garlic Naan


That's why I said curry schmurry... besides you need something to dip into the leftover curry mixture once all your chickpeas or what have you is done for.

Cort says no cilantro on the Garlic Naan but I say "Hell Yes cilantro!  Also basil... maybe"
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2006, 01:34:47 am »

I'm kind of a purist so I'll go with Cort. Cort might one of those people genetically predisposed to hate cilantro. Certain people taste soap when they taste cilantro, others don't. It's a weird deal.

But, Damn Right on the sopping tip. When I eat full-on Indian, I don't use any utensils, just the bread. (until the Gulab Jamun comes out, anyway) That's why chappatis and the big, teardrop shaped naans are so flat and flexible. There's lots of good roti out there.



Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What'cha Listening Too (New for 2006)
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2006, 01:35:33 am »


If you like spicy food, go for the Evil Jungle Prince. I've found this in almost every Thai restaurant I've been in.


No!  I have eaten truckloads of Thai food in my life and I never seen this on a menu.  Now my life is incomplete!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up