Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!  (Read 11161 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 12:50:56 pm »

Oh no, not Lie Bot again...
Wait, it's not Lie Bot, it's Vlad! ALRIGHT!
Oh no, he lost the Taxi Driver...
But wait, this is his best strip in years! ALRIGHT!

But I gotta say the thread title should be "Be Stronk".

And that I totally agree with this:
Vlad should provide commentary to every strip, like a DVD bonus feature.

It probably couldn't be audio, though, no voice actor would be good enough.

But what about this guy?
Apparently he's Hollywood's token eastern-European.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 12:54:54 pm »

I'm all for cartoon characters with bindles. They're right up there with two diagonal lines to indicate glass as classic inconography.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 01:15:17 pm »

When I was little, we had a sofa that I became attached to like this.  But we didn't get rid of it until I was in my teens, so it wasn't so traumatic (plus it stank by then).

Why a sofa and not, say, a bed or chair or something?  I don't know.

And as I was typing that I realized that I still have the chair that sat next to the sofa.  I moved it across the country with me.  I meant to get rid of it but I haven't.  Why?

This is a thing I must ponder.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 01:16:32 pm »

Roger I think you may have found the man for the job. At first I too was thinking that nobody could fill Vlad's shoes, nobody! But I'm imagining Rade Serbedzija's (that guy's) voice as Vlad and it seems to fit. Obviously it would need some tweaking but he'll work, alright!


Vlad and Philippe are my favorite characters, always have been. So needless to say this strip was AMAZING to me. Vlad's words spoke more than any human (or alive stuffed animal for the matter) ever could. I related to this strip and had a relationship with it. We're never going to see each other again but it was fun while it lasted. It was definitely a nice turn around from the standard "torture Philippe's brain" sort of strip.


And to anyone who claims "Too much Philippe!" I say draw your weapon at once, Sir! For I demand my satisfaction!
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 02:04:27 pm »

When it's phillipe suffering horribly then it's never TOO much.
And make no mistake, though this storyline will be short the suffering will be great.
A sheriff's badge can only get you out of so much trouble bucko.

You can just see the reasoning behind his choices though: You need food so pork and beans makes sense, and you need something to eat it with becuase you weren't born in a barn and you're not meant to go into the drawer with all the forks and knives but the ladle is just hanging right there next to the counter and if everyone knows that your a sherriff (even if you're only a pretend one) they're bound to help you out and do what you say. YAY! HUGGSS!!!!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 02:33:44 pm »

He's taking a can of pork and beans, but no can opener?

This otter wanted to run our nation, people.
Logged

drew

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 23
  • Lost. So lost.
    • View Profile
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 02:43:39 pm »

Was anyone else thrown off a bit by Phillipe starting off a sentence with "Saaaaaaay..."? That sort of expression doesn't seem like a normal Phillipe speech pattern. Maybe his is becoming a Man-otter. Or the Kwisatz Haderach. Take your pick.
Logged
giggle, giggle, splat

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 02:46:14 pm »

I really like Vlad.  I would like to hang out with him and drink some beers or play the banjo.  He is a good fellow.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »

I related to this strip and had a relationship with it. We're never going to see each other again but it was fun while it lasted.

What will you say when you run into this strip again at an inopportune moment?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 03:00:40 pm »

Best panel is panel 4.  "They're throwing it away?  Nooo!  NOOO!!"  Priceless.

He's taking a can of pork and beans, but no can opener?

This otter wanted to run our nation, people.

Dude he is an otter, he could just roll on his back, put it on his chest and hit it with a rock.


Or he could use the sherrif's badge.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 03:09:01 pm by FlipConstantine »
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 03:27:34 pm »

And that I totally agree with this:
But what about this guy?
Apparently he's Hollywood's token eastern-European.

Haha, That's exactly who I always hear when I read a Vlad12Roses strip.
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 03:47:39 pm »

As for voice acting, that dude would seem good..  but I of course have to suggest Eugene Hutz (of gogol bordello).
Logged
~

Crun

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
    • Hockey Zombie
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 04:42:26 pm »

Lie bot... Vlad... man, the next one better have some Chucklebot for me.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 04:49:26 pm »

It would be really funny if this story arc just ended tomorrow.  It's not a one-off, it's a two-off. 

Otherwise, this strip is mostly setup and letdown.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: April 5, 2006 -- Become a man! Become ALIVE!
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 04:58:16 pm »

When I was little, we had a sofa that I became attached to like this.  But we didn't get rid of it until I was in my teens, so it wasn't so traumatic (plus it stank by then).

I had a reaction somewhat similar to Philippe's when I was young, but instead of pining over the loss of a beloved sofa, I was heartbroken (as much as a five-year-old can be heartbroken, that is) because my parents got rid of an old stationwagon that we had had all my life (five years is a long time to be alive, you know, when you're five).  I didn't go on a bindle-toting adventure, though; but I did cry as I watched my parents driving the car down the street and out of sight.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up