OK, to go with Ash -
Who puts the air intake of a low vehicle (minivan) near the BOTTOM of the engine compartment? Thing sucked water right into the cylinders. DESIGN WITH FUNCTIONALITY IN MIND. MAYBE SOME DAY THERE WILL BE SOME WATER ON THE ROAD.
I spent Friday on a flooded rural detour (the main, paved road was flooded so of course we all went down the flooded back road) with three overflowing streams to ford at 3 - 3.5 feet of moviing muddy water. The rest of the road was OK, 75% of that was 2 feet deep or so. The main concern was that the water was moving and I didn't want to go with it. There was no choice in the matter, I had to take the Jeep 4x4 to rescue the wife from the flooded minivan and get my kid and another kid to the other side of the main flooded road. GOD MAKE IT STOP RAINING. FRIDAY WAS CONSECUTIVE DAY 42 OF RAIN ON OAHU.
I can still picture the frantic woman in the BMW rolling down her window as we were going by slowly in the deepest part of one of the overflowing streams - as she cried out "my car died!" in the 3 feet or so of water, our slow moving vehicle pushed a little wave into her open window. Couldn't stop, though, I was afraid if I didn't keep the gas on the water could get too far into the tailpipe and stop the jeep. Hopefully she got some help but she definitely screwed up the traffic in a really bad spot. MAKE BETTER DRIVING CHOICES, PEOPLE.
So everyone lived and the minivan lived too. It's actually quite funny to take the plugs out, hit the starter, and watch fountains of water dancing out of your engine. And my mobile mechanic and good buddy Jamie let me keep my $72.50 for his hour of time.