Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'  (Read 2900 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« on: April 07, 2006, 05:01:45 am »

I was just on amazon.com and I noticed 'The Page You Made' and it had albums by Kelly Clarkson, Black Eyed Peas, and U2.  Are they trying to fool me into thinking I actually like any of this music?  I just bought 4 Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums from them, you would think they would know better.  The only page I would make of these albums might be albums I will definitely not be purchasing from amazon.com.  WTF I say!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 05:39:03 am »

Sometimes they base it on things you've searched for. It needs a 'I was searching ironically, damnit!' button or something.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 11:18:38 am »

And sometimes they just throw on the 5 most popular books/cds/dvds. That always throws me, too.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 01:06:52 pm »

I turned it off because it's so embarrassing. I'll often search for stuff on Amazon to verify a song title (often when I'm updating musicbrainz) or getting the spelling of a crappy author's name. I don't want the Page I supposedly Made to make baby Jebus cry so I just eliminated it entirely.

It also bugs me that when you buy an item your recommendations is instantly overrun with that same type of item. I bought one DVD and now suddenly I have to go two pages in to find any books or CDs. It's especially annoying because they keep recommending the regular edition of the DVD I just bought the SE of and individual discs from a boxset I got for Christmas.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:17:50 pm »

Sometimes they base it on things you've searched for. It needs a 'I was searching ironically, damnit!' button or something.

Yeah, but I never searched for any of those items.

And sometimes they just throw on the 5 most popular books/cds/dvds. That always throws me, too.

This sounds more like the case, which is reason in itself to despair.

It also bugs me that when you buy an item your recommendations is instantly overrun with that same type of item. I bought one DVD and now suddenly I have to go two pages in to find any books or CDs. It's especially annoying because they keep recommending the regular edition of the DVD I just bought the SE of and individual discs from a boxset I got for Christmas.

Yeah it's not very intuitive is it.  You just bought a Bonnie "Prince" Billy album, might we suggest some Bonnie "Prince" Billy.  People who purchased this Bonnie "Prince" Billy album also purchased this other Bonnie "Prince" Billy album.  If you like Bonnie "Prince" Billy you might also like Bonnie "Prince" Billy.

Here's the page you made, Coldplay and Kelly Clarkson.  WTF I say again.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 02:51:23 pm »

Everyone keep bitching - it's this kind of criticism that will make me powerful.  (I don't know if you knew this or not, but in a few months, I will be working for amazon.com, and I discussed these kinds of problems with my interviewers - they're working on it.)

As an aside - are you logged in, Paul?  I know sometimes it makes a "Page I Made" page for me after I've deleted cookies or something, and it's just pop bullshit, but when I log in, it knows what I like.

Also, you'll want to uncheck the "Use for Recommendations" box next to all those Kelly Clarkson albums you bought "as a gift."
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:05:40 pm »

Everyone keep bitching - it's this kind of criticism that will make me powerful.  (I don't know if you knew this or not, but in a few months, I will be working for amazon.com, and I discussed these kinds of problems with my interviewers - they're working on it.)

Really, well I expect you to pass on your employee discount.

As an aside - are you logged in, Paul?

Yeah I was logged in, I had just bought something.

Also, you'll want to uncheck the "Use for Recommendations" box next to all those Kelly Clarkson albums you bought "as a gift."

I'm in love with Carrie Underwood, but Kelly Clarkson can choke on it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 04:16:36 pm »

Everyone keep bitching - it's this kind of criticism that will make me powerful.  (I don't know if you knew this or not, but in a few months, I will be working for amazon.com, and I discussed these kinds of problems with my interviewers - they're working on it.)

As an aside - are you logged in, Paul?  I know sometimes it makes a "Page I Made" page for me after I've deleted cookies or something, and it's just pop bullshit, but when I log in, it knows what I like.

Also, you'll want to uncheck the "Use for Recommendations" box next to all those Kelly Clarkson albums you bought "as a gift."

While you're at it we need Filter By Seller in every category not just apparel. Because fuck*ng Tiger Direct can suck it since I refuse to by anything from Amazon that doesn't have free shipping. Speaking of which, 12 AA batteries for $2.97 and free shipping? Sign me up, baby.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 12:27:55 am »

Attention: GOLD BOX DEALS

I bought that one Kingston Trio CD for my brother in law.  I do not need five fifty cent "deals" on Kingston Trio CDs.  Thank you.

Also: I want a button that lets me NOT SHOW results that YOU DO NOT HAVE AND CAN NOT SELL ME.  Jesus.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 08:29:14 am »

Amazon will never let me forget I ordered American Idol discs as gifts one past xmas (most the family loves the show.. and hey, I do like that one Kelly Clarkson song kind've... Since U Been Gone.. okay, I hate the 'U' in the title though!  arrr.  does this ruin my rep?  really I only liked it when Ted Leo covered it.. heh).
I still get direct emails letting me know there's a new item by one of them or something similar.
Perhaps back then they didn't have a check box for not putting it in the recommendations.. I don't really remember though.

I try not to let amazon frustrate me.
Nonetheless sometimes I do freak if I click on a link to say, a sex toy on a random site not knowing it's going to amazon that it'll now think I'm a freak and only recommend sex toys.  that hasn't happened yet [un]fortunately.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

antioch

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 185
  • fuggedaboudit!
    • View Profile
    • Facehugger Records
Re: Amazon.com's 'The Page You Made'
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 09:26:04 am »

Everyone keep bitching - it's this kind of criticism that will make me powerful. 

You'll never get away with this, acoxcae!

 I always thought 'The Page You Made' reflected the purity of one's soul.
Logged
I am older now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up