Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.  (Read 21394 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:21:11 am »

I think I like where this is going, even if it means more Phillipe in misery/peril, etc.
Eatin' chapstick...pretty miserable. I bet it's not even mint flavored or anything, just plain. Just sit in the cold, poor otter.

The couch doesn't care what happens to you. Why? Because it's a couch.

Plus, that close-up of the warning sign about water flowing into the bay...somewhat ominous.

I just have a feeling things are going to get worse for Phillipe before they get better.

And Geology Greg, what is he? A TV guy in a costume? A cheaply done computer animated mascot? I must know...not really.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 06:30:30 am by LCB »
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST - CHOMP Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:22:29 am »

I'm not feeling it.
Logged

goldenchurchhill

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
  • "The wine so bad it made the news."
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST - CHOMP Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:27:10 am »

Man this is a great strip.  Philippe jumping the creek is awesome.  Is that chap stick under his nose? 

Also, great Ray/Beef cut out.  Ray always having his sweet speakers, beef always be all poor and what not.  Briliant!!!


Someone on this site the other day asked how he would open the can.  Nice call.
Logged
To live outside the law you must be honest.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 06:31:46 am »

man
poor phillipe.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

LCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 113
  • ...when you get the blues in the night
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:33:04 am »

It's the DOINK's and the OOFs that make the creek jumping work.

Plus, a brief flash of Classic Beef. Invite to a party? Sure but let me cool off my no doubt off-brand dollar-store mac & cheese to save for later.
Logged
Which way to the vomitorium, centurion?

goldenchurchhill

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
  • "The wine so bad it made the news."
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 06:35:50 am »

I know.  Onstad has such good character development.  It is too predictable, but at the same time the funniest thing I have ever seen on the internet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 06:39:27 am by goldenchurchhill »
Logged
To live outside the law you must be honest.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 06:44:24 am »

I'm not feeling this one yet, although I did like when Roasted Beef was explaining to everyone about the hot macaroni, and of course everyone admonished him about putting it in the fridge while it was still hot.

I think Onstad is at his best when he's doing "creepy" (secret ice-cream shoppe, hell, cartilage head, etc.) and his artwork seems to be best in those arcs, too.  This could be a good Philippe is alone in the wilderness strip.

Although the little dude is 5.  He's travelled what, like three blocks from home before setting up camp?  He'll be all "Oh no I am going to die this is terrible!" and Teodor or someone will be out for a stroll and be all such as "Philippe, what are you doing over here?"

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 07:05:29 am »

This strip reminds me distinctly of when I was seven or so, at a friend's house out in the woods, and I wandered off the road and was utterly convinced I was going to die. (I believe I got all of 500 feet from the road.)

I smell another Super-Secret Ice Cream Shop arc.
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 08:18:43 am »

He should use the pointy Sheriff's badge to open the can.

Philippe has no MacGyver game.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 10:29:18 am »

Clearly the best thing about this strip is the Ray/Beef interaction.  Ray has "Emergency" parties.  (Oh hell... I am out of Olives.  Emergency Party!)  Everyone knows Beef's neuroses and suchlike.

Also, looks like Emeril is going to be around more often, which I approve of.


Oh, and apparently Philippe was in this comic somewhere, whatever.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 11:13:03 am »

I got all worried about the "flows to bay" sign, but then I realized he's a freakin' otter. That should be right up his alley. Right? Right?!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 12:55:38 pm »

Although the little dude is 5.  He's travelled what, like three blocks from home before setting up camp?  He'll be all "Oh no I am going to die this is terrible!" and Teodor or someone will be out for a stroll and be all such as "Philippe, what are you doing over here?"

I assume the Emergency Party is to establish why nobody is looking for Philippe. Everybody's at Ray's getting their drink on and discussing Beef's narrowly averty macaroni disaster.
Logged

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 01:20:47 pm »

I love Philippe as much as the next guy...OK I love Philippe more than the next guy but this strip wasn't that great. I did like the looking both ways before exiting the house(?) and that he relies on a TV show (probably a cheap imitation of Bill Nye) to guide him to the couch. I suppose it all means more Philippe in the end so I'm happy with that.

And to those of you who say he should open the can with the star, that's utter plucky! Everyone knows in Star Robber Can (the classic hand game) that star trumps robber, robber beats can, and can beats star. This is a tin can were talking about here and most children's sheriff stars (especially otters') are made of plastic or the thinnest of the thin metal.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 02:26:01 pm »

I got all worried about the "flows to bay" sign, but then I realized he's a freakin' otter. That should be right up his alley. Right? Right?!

Philippe is not an otter; he is an alive stuffed otter.  If he falls into the creek, his plush-filled body will swell with water, and that will be the end of him.

I think Geology Greg might be a non-ethnic Jaime the Science Friend.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: TWIST CHOMP -- Apr. 7, 2006.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 02:27:35 pm »

i ain't feelin it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up