Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?  (Read 7978 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« on: April 07, 2006, 11:45:58 pm »

I am not just being cruel. You will note the first google hit when you search 'achewood' is of course to achewood, but the description reads:
A cartoon of modern life as lived by a retarded otter, an alcoholic tiger, and two bears.

I assume it's old, because there's no mention of cats.

Still, if Philippe really is retarded, that paints him in a much different light. It's also possible he started out retarded, then became 5 later. These things happen.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 11:55:20 pm by swinehund »
Logged

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 11:50:04 pm »

There's no mention anywhere in official strip "canon" of retardation, and we have his mother's testimony (implied?) that he is in fact 5.  Who knows, maybe he is just a drug baby of some kind.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 11:50:44 pm »

He's probably whatever suits the current strip best.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 01:49:17 am »

I am almost positive that that sentence does not appear anywhere on the site, so how does it end up on Google?

Philippe is definitely five. I absolutely deny that he is retarded.  However, I distinctly recall that there's a place in some interview or other where Onstad says something like "I don't know how Philippe came to be the simple one."  I can't find which interview, but that's just too weird a thing for me to have made up so I think it really happened.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 02:54:55 am »

I'm assuming that Philippe made the transition from retarded to 5 around the same time that they all could suddenly leave the house without issue and were familiar with liquor.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 03:03:55 am »

Yeah, the first year or so the strip definitely was still "finding itself."

And that text is from the very very old meta description text at Achewood.com, which is no longer there but still lives on in Google's infinite memory.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 03:52:40 am »

I'm assuming that Philippe made the transition from retarded to 5 around the same time that they all could suddenly leave the house without issue and were familiar with liquor.

I think you are correct.

I kind of miss the cats actually being cats, though.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 04:17:48 am »

Yeah, those were the days.  It's a little jarring now when I'm reminded in a strip that the cats are actually cat-sized.  Like when Onstad makes an appearance.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 04:36:52 am »

I think you are correct.

I kind of miss the cats actually being cats, though.
There's always Beef laying in the corner by the outlet, although I've been known to do the same when I feel like taking a nap but find the floor more inviting than my bed.

edit: I do miss Pat and Ray saying "dig", however.
Logged

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 07:19:11 am »

Logged

Nate_Small

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 07:35:35 am »

philippe is a stuffed toy otter.
Logged
Tough Customer Ham Pockets

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 02:42:40 pm »

philippe is a stuffed toy otter.

Oh hush.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 06:36:59 pm »

PHILIPPE IS SIX, JERKS

No, nuero, that was his fifth birthday... again.

Like Calvin, Charlie Brown, and other ageless cartoon characters, Philippe is and forever shall be five years of age.

Undertoad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 34
  • Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe ande Ale Taverne Inne Keepere
    • View Profile
    • the Cellar
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 08:29:25 pm »

The way he SCHRRRRs down the bank of the creek in panel four of the current strip is exactly what otters do.

The way he DOINKs from rock to rock in panel six is not otter-like at all though
Logged
-=My usual hangout: The Cellar
-=My daily image blog: Image of the Day

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Philippe - is he 5, or retarded?
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 11:49:48 pm »

There's always Beef laying in the corner by the outlet, although I've been known to do the same when I feel like taking a nap but find the floor more inviting than my bed.

edit: I do miss Pat and Ray saying "dig", however.

You know, I never saw that as a cat thing, just as a Beef thing. You're right, though. It would have came through more clearly for me if he had done it on a piece of paper.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up