Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Choose the best vegetable  (Read 22192 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 05:50:14 pm »

Also, onion is basically a spice also.  Have you ever had an onion-based side dish?  No.

No, no one has ever eaten onion rings, bloomin' onions, or roasted up some onions and peppers to go along with their sausages.  Also, no one cooks up those little pearl onions and serves them as a side-dish with a little butter.

Onions are a main course, a side dish, and even a fuck*ng dessert. They are so good I'd eat them even if they weren't good for me (and I really have no idea how good for you onions or green bell peppers are, but I eat them at least once a week, and there are few dishes that one can make in the Continental style to which I've grown accustomed that don't include onions.  I must, of course, not use garlic very often, due to being a participant in society, but you can cook the stink out of onions, and they are delicious and add much body and flavour to many sauces and dishes.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 05:58:22 pm »

This has been a very educational thread.  I now understand why so very many dishes cooked by other people are ruined by the addition of so many damn nasty carrots. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006, 06:16:49 pm »

No, no one has ever eaten onion rings, bloomin' onions, or roasted up some onions and peppers to go along with their sausages.  Also, no one cooks up those little pearl onions and serves them as a side-dish with a little butter.

Onion rings!  Of course! Foiled again.  However, bloomin' onions are just a modified onion ring, and I wouldn't consider the peppers and onions with sausages a side dish, I'd call them a seasoning - delicious as it might be.  Don't get me wrong, I love onions in all their forms and preparations, it's just that for some reason, I don't consider them to really be a "vegetable."  Also, eating garlic does not preclude you from entering society - I go through a head or two of garlic a week most weeks, and if society needs me, a corresponding quantity of mints, gum, or toothpaste.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2006, 06:30:36 pm »

The garlic smell actually comes out through your skin if you eat a lot of it.  Yes, there's soap, but the next time you sweat - more garlic!

But of course your SO is a member here, so I'm sure she can attest to your stinkiness or otherwise.

Also, my favourite veggie side dish is sauteed onions and peppers.  A little salt and pepper. Heaven.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2006, 06:37:28 pm »

Also, a tasty side dish is creamed onion, and also I have had a tasty onion pie, and of course the delicious French onion soup is also a wonder of foodiness.  And also do not forget green onions, which my SO enjoys unaccompanied straight from the garden.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2006, 06:43:57 pm »

I have to go with Brussels Sprouts, but only because I'm on the side that doesn't include onions as acceptable for this discussion.
Logged

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2006, 06:50:45 pm »

The garlic smell actually comes out through your skin if you eat a lot of it.  Yes, there's soap, but the next time you sweat - more garlic!

But of course your SO is a member here, so I'm sure she can attest to your stinkiness or otherwise.

Also, my favourite veggie side dish is sauteed onions and peppers.  A little salt and pepper. Heaven.


I have to say that we do eat garlic, but neither of us stink. Alex certainly doesn't. And we have friends who keep us entertained during the weeks and weekends who have never once mentioned a garlicky smell when around us. :)
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

sunnystar

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 106
    • View Profile
    • Pictures, Words, and Stuff
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2006, 06:53:05 pm »

Best vegetables = carrots (uncooked), cucumbers, snow peas, corn, squash of any kind, and, in agreeing with Jough, onions and peppers -YUM!
Logged
Never be too pessimistic - you think the worst, but it could really just be a sequined drag queen.
 -side_show-

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 06:57:50 pm »

This has been a very educational thread.  I now understand why so very many dishes cooked by other people are ruined by the addition of so many damn nasty carrots. 

Steamed carrots are my restaurant side-dish of choice. Oh sure, the garlic mashed potatoes are good but they should really be called "garlic butter and cream (processed in a kitchen that uses potatoes)". Now brocoli is not even a food, it's merely a space consuming packing material the for some reason the FDA refuses to ban from chinese take-out.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2006, 07:01:41 pm »

Now brocoli is not even a food, it's merely a space consuming packing material the for some reason the FDA refuses to ban from chinese take-out.

See, now this is exactly what I thought carrots were.  I had no idea some people actually ate them, like, on purpose.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2006, 08:08:10 pm »

Also, onion is basically a spice also.  Have you ever had an onion-based side dish?  No.

Yes.  Onion Rings.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2006, 10:34:31 pm »

See, now this is exactly what I thought carrots were.  I had no idea some people actually ate them, like, on purpose.

I once ate some, entirely on accident!
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2006, 10:41:34 pm »

But Pebbles is nutritious AND delicious!*

I actually have grown-up ones, like with molybdenum. Pebbles definitely tasted better.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 10:42:12 pm »

Pebbles definitely tasted better.

Really that just needed to be quoted again.  I am sorry about this.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2006, 11:10:01 pm »

Eatin' Pebbles?  Ain't that what BamBam does?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up