Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Choose the best vegetable  (Read 22193 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2006, 11:56:09 pm »

To my total disappointment, baby carrots have totally disappeared from store shelves locally over the past couple of years.  We used to buy the humourosly named Bunny Love brand baby carrots all the time - sweet, delicious and an easy, healthy snack.  I used to go around at the book shop I used to work at offering people some of my Bunny Love.  Everyone enjoyed this (including me) and it was known through out the store that no one could turn down my Bunny Love.  Then the supply of Bunny Love inexplicably started to dwindle, and eventually stopped all together, to be replaced by several different brands of baby-cut carrots - which are not baby carrots at all, but adult carrots, peeled and/or whittled down to look like baby carrots, but lacking the sweetness of actual baby carrots.

Also, during my CPR training it was noted by the paramedic that the the number one choking hazard amongst adults in Canada is the baby carrot.  So maybe Wombat is on to something.  It's easy to perform the Heimlich in these cases though.  (For children it's still ballons, which is almost impossible to save a child from because the exploded part the the balloon that is inhaled totally blocks the ability to perform CPR.  Lesson learned: Do not have balloons around small children.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2006, 12:15:56 am »

Ha!  The evil carrot.  I knew it.  I'll bet no one ever chokes on avocados!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2006, 12:24:28 am »

Ha!  The evil carrot.  I knew it.  I'll bet no one ever chokes on avocados!

Guacamole is the silent killer.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2006, 12:42:41 am »

I can see why a food item that shares it's name with a porn star could be popular.

I like guacamole but way too many restaurants have started doing that lame tableside preparation thing. Yes I get to say how spicy it should be or how much onion I want but the flavors have no time to mingle so it always ends up tasting like suck.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2006, 01:46:42 am »

I had a 5 pound sack of bunny love in my fridge not a week ago. They're plentiful here, at least, but only at the weird farmers market. I can ship you some if you need a hit.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2006, 01:59:24 am »

Does zucchini count? I vote for that. Is so good!

I'm confused about all the carrot hate going on. I love carrots. The baby carrots can be eaten right out of the bag and the larger dirty carrots are easily cleaned, pealed and eaten ala Bugs Bunny. Chopped carrots on a salad , cooked carrots and peas, mmmm carrots.
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2006, 02:54:11 am »

There are hardly any vegetables I don't like.

Onions are a vegetable. Also I concur with those who define vegetables in the usage context rather than the botanical.

No one has mentioned burdock root or salsify yet? The foodie discussions are not so much fun since Choop stopped coming by.

I like some baby spinach gently wilted with some prosciutto or pancetta and a tiny bit of olive oil and dressed with just the slightest kiss of balsamic vinegar. A whisper of freshly grated parmesan cheese is also good instead of the vinegar (or with it, but that's a lot of competing flavor)

Yummy. This would also be good with broccolini or broccoli rabe, which are really good if you haven't tried them.


Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2006, 03:56:30 am »

My favorite is tomatoes, but those are fruits.  Next: garlic, bell peppers, then onions. I eat one of these things every day, but since they don't seem to be/count as vegetables for this discussion, I have a needlessly complexified answer:

Alone?  Raw?*  Carrots.

In a salad or as part of an italian recipe?  Spinach.  Can't stand it alone, though, not even creamed.




*The dirty parts of my mind continue this, but I shan't indulge their whims in public.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2006, 04:12:42 am »

My favorite is tomatoes, but those are fruits.

Tomatos are so awesome they are both a fruit and a vegetable.

Deal with it bitches.  Eat Tomatos More Frequently.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2006, 04:37:27 am »

the best vegetable?
basically one that is going away from my body at an angle. like a tangent, and it is never coming back.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2006, 04:46:33 am »

Terri Schiavo?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2006, 12:38:13 pm »


I like some baby spinach gently wilted with some prosciutto or pancetta and a tiny bit of olive oil and dressed with just the slightest kiss of balsamic vinegar. A whisper of freshly grated parmesan cheese is also good instead of the vinegar (or with it, but that's a lot of competing flavor)


Can I come live with you?  Please?

Do you really cook burdock root?  This is surely because you are practically in Japan. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2006, 02:41:17 pm »

I can't believe no one is feeling the artichoke love.  However, I agree with those who have expounded upon the deliciousness of baby carrots, and would like to add that celery with peanut butter is also quite good.  It's full of cellulose, you know!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2006, 02:54:14 pm »

I can't believe no one is feeling the artichoke love.  However, I agree with those who have expounded upon the deliciousness of baby carrots, and would like to add that celery with peanut butter is also quite good.  It's full of cellulose, you know!

The artichoke only realizes it's full potential when dipped in butter.  The tomatoe needs no such help to achieve deliciousness.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose the best vegetable
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2006, 02:58:56 pm »

The artichoke only realizes it's full potential when dipped in butter.  The tomatoe needs no such help to achieve deliciousness.

~Paul

Au contraire!  Artichoke leaves are delicious with a multitude of sauces (curried mayo, anyone) or on their own.  And artichoke hearts are easily worth the work it takes to reach them.

Know something else I love?  Turnips.  The roots and the greens.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up