I think Penny Arcade turned to crap. Most of it doesn't even make sense anymore unless you are updated to the minute on gaming news. I wouldn't dare say "pretentious" but it would apply. I never laugh at it anymore, just wonder what the hell it's about.
Oh c'mon, it's always been esoteric gaming stuff. Actually, I'd say it's gotten
less gamer focused as the years go by. They just had a mini arc featuring
Kenny Rogers fer chrissakes. I haven't played any games other than Mysts, SimCities, and Civs my whole life, and I still read and enjoy the comic. Every once in awhile I need to read a paragraph of Tycho's news post to figure out what's going on, but that's about it. For instance, I know nothing about Warhammer online, and I've never played WoW, but I still got a kick out of
this one.
Hmm - don't know why I got so worked up about that. They just seem like super nice guys who write a funny comic and never go all drama queen on their fans. (Note, I'm not saying Onstad, or anyone else, is queening out. I'm just saying that these guys
don't.)