Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: My glasses just broke! What do I do?  (Read 10409 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:45:56 pm »

I know I'm not the only 4-eyed nerd here, so I need some advice. I got into work, took my sunglasses off, took my regular glasses out of the case, unfolded them, and snap. They're plastic frames, and they broke right over the nose piece. I taped 'em together with electrical tape (superglue wasn't cutting it), but they're a little wobbly, and I'm getting a killer headache. Anybody have any ideas? Will the place I bought them from be able to do anything?

And of course I biked to work today, so just running home to get my spare pair would take a good hour, and if I biked over to the glasses place I would be all sweaty when I got there. I was getting a decent headache from wearing my sunglasses indoors, too. Man I need to start looking into LASIK. Anybody know if you can get that with a -10 diopter prescription?

Must...stop...spazzing....
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:28:33 pm »

I think they will sell glasses to sweaty people.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:47:37 pm »

Well certainly they do, but they'd cut me a better deal if I was freshly scrubbed and cute. My optometrist is in the hipster part of town - very high pressure.

I've done a better job of supergluing for the moment, so at least my head doesn't feel like it's going to explode. But I'm still a bit spazzed. With my prescription, glasses that don't look like they're made of coke bottles cost an arm & a leg even with insurance, and I'm uninsured for the time being.

Figures - I just crawled out from under my credit card debt, and my car starts acting funny and my glasses break.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:48:41 pm »

If your lenses are intact, though, all you'd need is new frames.  That needn't cost too much.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 03:39:03 pm »

Most glasses stores have a $99 wall. Some of these even include magnetic clip-on sunglasses. Not high-fashion by any means but do you really need a tiny "Nautica" on your glasses anyway? Besides, I thought Nautica was a sailing company.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 04:18:21 pm »

This marital relations suspended due to partners pregnancy thing is taking a toll.

What?!?  No, that ain't right, not right at all.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 04:35:39 pm »

Yeah, isn't marital relations during pregnancy good for the baby, as long as you're careful not to poke a hole in the top of its noggin?  I'm sure I wrote that somewhere.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 04:52:31 pm »

Try what I did.  Date an opthamologist's daughter.  Only $10,000 up front. 

Before I was dating her, though I had found a website that would make glasses for something ungodly low like $25.  I had considered getting a few pairs just to throw in my glove box or in with my camping gear just for emergencies.  I'm sure they won't be great, but they might hold you over until you are again insured, assuming that is a temporary condition. 

I can't remember the particular site I had found a few years ago, but a google search for "cheap glasses" finds several offerring similar deals. 
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 04:57:35 pm »

Try what I did.  Date an opthamologist's daughter.  Only $10,000 up front. 

Before I was dating her, though I had found a website that would make glasses for something ungodly low like $25.  I had considered getting a few pairs just to throw in my glove box or in with my camping gear just for emergencies.  I'm sure they won't be great, but they might hold you over until you are again insured, assuming that is a temporary condition. 

I can't remember the particular site I had found a few years ago, but a google search for "cheap glasses" finds several offerring similar deals. 

I am reading this post with $38 dollar glasses (lenses and all).

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 05:11:20 pm »

Wow, I'm gonna check out the cheap glasses place. Mine usually top 300! Course, I need to get the ultra-light lenses so I don't end up with broken blood vessels on my nose.

But - I lucked out! Turns out I had 5 days left on my warranty. They'll replace 'em free! I might have to wait for them to get the frames in, but I can live with this until then.

And I looked at our pvc glues and epoxies and whatnot, but I was afraid to use them since a) I'd have to hold my glasses about 4 inches from my face in order to see while I repaired them and 2) I didn't want to bring them in and have them say "Well, we could have repaired them fine, until you put all this weird glue on 'em."

Thanks for all the ideas. And sorry about the dry spell, Ash. I thought pregnancy made chicks horny - have I been misinformed?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 05:24:22 pm »

Hi Mite,

I had the same thing happen.  Lucky enough, I had standard sized lenses, and they were able to pop them out of my broken frame and into an insanely ugly pair of red plastic frame they had kicking around, then they sent out to replace my frame which was on back order.  Ever since then I've always had two pairs.

Also, if you're able to wear contact lenses, you may want to purchase the smallest/cheapest package available of disposable lenses to tide you over while your repair/select new frames.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 05:52:42 pm »

Oh, man, Ash, good to hear it's all coming together but without the sweet sweet lovin' it would be tough for me...Your son will be about a month older than my daughter, who I am calling Hannah for the moment.

Also, on the "pregnant chicks are horny' thing" - word. Also post partum women. This is probably why I am having two daughters 17 months apart.

I love how this thread moves seamlessly from reparing eyewear to the sexual proclivity of pregnant women.

Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 05:53:07 pm »

I have a couple pairs of disposable contacts lying around, but since my eyes are so bad that those need to be special ordered too, I think I'll just rely on my old scratched up glasses/superglued new glasses for the next week or so. Plus contacts seriously mess with my brain. Everything looks so big!

Ash - I just googled cervical cerclage, and now I need to go lay down. Just when I think I might want to have kids one of these years, I learn about something like that. I hope everybody's doing well, considering! Your poor wife must be bored out of her mind.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 06:29:28 pm »

Oh and 'Dawg? Word Up to Post Partum Horny-mones.

That's a hell of a price to pay to get a lady in the mood.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: My glasses just broke! What do I do?
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 07:40:06 pm »

Maybe - but, you must have gotten her in the mood sometime before to get to that place.

Also, kids are awesome. Someone's gotta change <my> diapers when I'm an old man, and I don't want some surly illegal immigrant doing it if at all possible.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up