Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wall  (Read 4761 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
The Wall
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:43:07 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171668,00.html

Now, I'm not in a situation to comment on the policy of a foreign country, but this seems like a VERY BAD IDEA. Large amounts of money spent to keep out people who may (this is debatable, certainly) contribute to the economy. But it does help solve problems such as the accomodation of illegal immigrants and so forth, in theory. You USA chaps and chapettes might want to discuss.
 
If nothing else, it's good for a laugh.


Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The Wall
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 09:33:34 pm »

Yeah this is pretty much ridiculous.  I can sort of see how people would be in favor of stricter immigration controls (undercuts wages, plenty of exploitation, etc.) But a wall?  Come on.  They tried that, in Berlin.  There were presidents, and doughnuts, I thought we had learned this lesson.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:56 pm »

They tried that, in Berlin.

That wall was meant to keep people in.  Wait a second, are we being tricked here?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobo Frenzy

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 222
  • fuck*ng Moto Guzzi
    • View Profile
    • the best site in the universe
Re: The Wall
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:49:39 pm »

I really can't see the comparison between this wall and the Berlin Wall.

The Berlin Wall was designed by the East Side of Germany and the Soviet Union to keep skilled workers, laborers, and citizens from fleeing the East Side. I wasn't there but I suspect the East kinda sucked compared to the West so people wanted to leave. Maybe get a well paying job, eat and overall live a decent life. This wall that may go up between the US and Mexico is designed to keep Mexican citizens OUT of the US because the US government doesn't want them for whatever various reasons.

As for my opinion on it...hmm. I guess crossing the boarder from one country (Mexico) to another (the United States) is illegal and this wall is preventing people from breaking the law. If the Mexicans really want to join our country they can sign up right? Become citizens? Or is the US no longer excepting people? I don't know these things!

But on the other hand I wouldn't be here if the US had walls on all sides blocking illegal aliens. So I'm not sure of my stance yet.

((edit: Damn! Paul was quicker AND wittier! Double Damn!))
Logged
Hey, what's this? Cursive?

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: The Wall
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 09:54:34 pm »

I really can see the comparison between this wall and the Berlin Wall.

 I wasn't there but I suspect the East kinda sucked compared to the West so people wanted to leave. Maybe get a well paying job, eat and overall live a decent life.


Fixed that for you.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: The Wall
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 09:55:29 pm »

I really can't see the comparison between this wall and the Berlin Wall.

The Berlin Wall was designed by the East Side of Germany and the Soviet Union to keep skilled workers, laborers, and citizens from fleeing the East Side. I wasn't there but I suspect the East kinda sucked compared to the West so people wanted to leave. Maybe get a well paying job, eat and overall live a decent life. This wall that may go up between the US and Mexico is designed to keep Mexican citizens OUT of the US because the US government doesn't want them for whatever various reasons.

It was a Joke!  Also, while we're on the issue, the in-out difference doesn't seem too significant to me, there's a wall people want to get over it because they find what is on the other side desirable.  But that's not relevant...

*To Mr. Q, the man with the faster internet fingers, I give a toast.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The Wall
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 09:56:40 pm »

Any wall trying to keep people OUT of somewhere is, at the same time, trying to keep them IN somewhere else - it's the definition of a wall.

Anyway, this idea is a little bit too ludicrous for me to even talk about, unless there's a vote - then I'll let my antiquated manual punch do the talking for me.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Wall
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:04:03 pm »

This is completely true: In East Berlin during the time of the wall, pole vaulting classes rose to record high attendances. Strangly enough, lots of people went 'missing', presumed capitalist. Mexico, stand up and take notice.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 10:38:47 pm »

You want to see some people get treated bad? You should see the border control on Mexico's southern border. People die trying to get to Mexico so that they can cross to 'El Norte'. Mexico not working with the US to prevent border crossing is a pretty silly double standard; it's a testimony to Mexico's economy that it would nearly collapse without all the Yankee dollars, both legally and not legally earned, that return to Mexcio.

A wall that size doesn't make sense. It'll just get tunneled under, they already continuosly build smuggling tunnels for drugs and people. We need better enforcement of current employment and immigration law first, then a legitimate way for deserving people to become US Citizens. If the constant flow across the border is eased, it will be easier to enforce the border itself.  Economically, it's gonna hurt some US businesses but the border situation as it is makes it easy for drugs and people from all over the world with all kinds of intentions to come in.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Wall
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:00:06 pm »

I, for one, am disappointed that this is not a thread related to Pink Floyd.  Way to let us down, Judy.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: The Wall
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 11:06:47 pm »

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: The Wall
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 11:17:23 pm »

Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 01:06:25 am »

Did I mention where I Work?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 01:19:53 am »

Although Mordor is in the US, I think we could establish that it isn't the whole of the US.

Just Utah.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 01:24:45 am »

Although Mordor is in the US, I think we could establish that it isn't the whole of the US.  Just Utah.

I don't know where you live Porkin, but I can guaran-goddamn-tee you have a plant just like that in your vicinity.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up