Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink Floyd's The Wall  (Read 11360 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 07:22:48 am »

edit: I'd like to say, in my defense, I am not that kid who has a nice guitar and can't play it. at least, I don't think so.my level of playing ability is most likely reasonable for my years of playing, age, etc. It's more an issue of frustration with being unable to play the things I want to play. we're not talking "theinevitable has a new fender guitar that his parents bought him, and he can't play "stairway to heaven" or "heartbreaker"".

Nah, that's not what I'm getting at, I've just seen alot of people get frustrated and go nowhere because they just don't have the right approach.  But you're definetly doing the right things at this point.  This one buddy of mine (before I could really play) he used to put in so much effort and he just always sucked.  Man... he sucked so bad forever.

Anyway, this is the only guitar I play anymore, besides some busted jazz bass.  It may be interesting to note that there is a lottery ticket in picture.






When it is your first time listening to Meddle, you've gotta be hella serious about it.  It's not something you would want to be distracted from, and if you have been saving some sort of hallucinogen for a special occasion then you should consume it 5 - 40 minutes beforehand, depending on route of administration.  If that's your thing.

That album takes some sharp turns, but as long as you are in the right mindset when listening, it won't be hard to see how graceful the twists are.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 10:33:45 am »

As my Dad always tells me: If you have nothing nice to say about Pink Floyd, don't say anything at all. Except that short qualifying statement to the left.

EDIT: Another Brick In The Wall has one fuck*ng weird video, and some of the album covers hurt my brain a little, so it's not all bad. IN MY OPINION.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 10:42:34 am by JudyIsADickSlap »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 11:15:29 am »

I haven't really listened to the wall since high school. I'm afraid it might fall into that category of "Music I thought was really deep when I was younger, but sounds really whiny now". You guys have given me hope that I'll still like it.

We got to watch a bit of the movie in my high school western civ class, actually. We did a lot of film analysis, and we got to examine the hell out of the non-naughty bits. Then my friends and I rented it, got stoned out of our gourds and watched it and A Clockwork Orange. Had some weird dreams that night, let me tell ya.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 11:22:30 am »

yeah, I didn't think that was what you were getting at, *****_god... I was just paranoid, because I realized that that was what I was coming across as.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 02:22:22 pm »

When it is your first time listening to Meddle, you've gotta be hella serious about it.  It's not something you would want to be distracted from, and if you have been saving some sort of hallucinogen for a special occasion then you should consume it 5 - 40 minutes beforehand, depending on route of administration.  If that's your thing.

That album takes some sharp turns, but as long as you are in the right mindset when listening, it won't be hard to see how graceful the twists are.

Yeah, that's not my thing, but I'll definitely pay attention when listening to it.  Thanks for the heads-up (especially because I usually forget to take notice of music I'm listening to, particularly if it is new).


I haven't really listened to the wall since high school. I'm afraid it might fall into that category of "Music I thought was really deep when I was younger, but sounds really whiny now". You guys have given me hope that I'll still like it.

We got to watch a bit of the movie in my high school western civ class, actually. We did a lot of film analysis, and we got to examine the hell out of the non-naughty bits. Then my friends and I rented it, got stoned out of our gourds and watched it and A Clockwork Orange. Had some weird dreams that night, let me tell ya.

I can't imagine Pink Floyd ever being considered whiny.  Depressing, occasionally; complex, usually; and mind-bending (with or without the assistance of toxic substances), always -- but never whiny.  Give it another try!

Also, a big "Hell yes" to any and all Stanley Kubrick films.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 03:19:09 pm »

I can't imagine Pink Floyd ever being considered whiny.  Depressing, occasionally; complex, usually; and mind-bending (with or without the assistance of toxic substances), always -- but never whiny.

Sometimes Roger's "ain't it tough to be a rock star" thing got a bit tiresome, but I can still listen to Floyd pretty much whenever.  I just noticed about a month ago that I can't find my copy of Dark Side of the Moon, so I think that sometime soon I'll need to buy my fourth copy of that album. 

Meddle is seconded, and I also think that Obscured By Clouds doesn't get the love it deserves. 

Also, I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the second to last track on the new Flaming Lips album really reminds me of "One Of These Days" from Meddle. 
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 03:50:50 pm »

Lots of love for Meddle, i'll jump on that bandwagon.  Like I say it's hard for me to really judge Floyd because i'm so burned out on them.  Meddle stands up for me because it hasn't been burned to a crisp like everything they've done since.  These kids are hearing Floyd like I heard it 25-30 years ago.  I can remember how much I loved Money, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, the entire Animals album.  I haven't heard it in a while, might have to try and see if I can rekindle that spark.  Nah, i've got 4 new BPB albums and 2 new Kinks albums.  I know that the Kinks have been around even longer than Floyd, but I never listened to them enough to get burned out on them.  Maybe the radio hits, but they have a deep catalog and it's all great. Oh yeah and the Faces, how did I overlook this band for so long?  They're like almost the greatest band ever.  Ever!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 04:31:09 pm »

I have no feelings either way about Pink Floyd in general, but as to the original question, as to whether The Wall stands up to today, here is my answer:

Yes.

I saw The Wall for the first time ever somewhere between 2 to 1 1/2 years ago, on the crystal clear special ed. DVD, and as I watched it, I was really impressed and I kept questioning how it could possibly be from 1982 - at least design-wise, it doesn't have and 80's look to it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 05:21:57 pm »

Nah, i've got 4 new BPB albums and 2 new Kinks albums.  I know that the Kinks have been around even longer than Floyd, but I never listened to them enough to get burned out on them.  Maybe the radio hits, but they have a deep catalog and it's all great. Oh yeah and the Faces, how did I overlook this band for so long?  They're like almost the greatest band ever.  Ever!!!

~Paul

I've just delved into the Kinks recently too.  Wow, that Ray Davies is a hell of a songwriter.  The Village Green Preservation Society is a great album.  Maybe I'll check out the Faces next.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 05:32:40 am »

Nah, i've got 4 new BPB

Not that that he has anything to tour behind, but man I hope he adds some dates to his current tour.  I've seen him twice solo and twice as BPB with full band.  Solo the first time was great and the second time was OK, but he was opening for Bjork at the Hollywood Bowl, so, you know.  But with full band backing him, he's fuck*ng fantastic.  I saw him this past August in Hamburg, and I still get chills thinking about it.  Part of it was seeing him in Hamburg, but no matter where you see him, he fuck*ng rocks.  The night was straight-up magical.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 05:37:16 am »

Part of it was seeing him in Hamburg... The night was straight-up magical.

What about Hamburg is magical?  Do you think German guys are like, "Part of it was seeing him in Cleveland..."  Maybe so.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 05:49:54 am »

Admittedly it has much to do with my obsession with Germany.  But really, do you think Cleveland is Hamburg's American counterpart?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 01:17:13 pm »

Admittedly it has much to do with my obsession with Germany.  But really, do you think Cleveland is Hamburg's American counterpart?

Maybe, from a rock and roll standpoint.  Hamburg has that whole Beatles history, Cleveland has the RnR Hall of fame and is renowned as a rockin' town.  I don't know what i'm talking about.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 07:30:05 pm »

Admittedly it has much to do with my obsession with Germany.  But really, do you think Cleveland is Hamburg's American counterpart?

I'd think more like Portland OR.

And the guys who hang around the Hamburg train station? Definitely magical.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Pink Floyd's The Wall
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006, 05:21:37 am »

I've just delved into the Kinks recently too.  Wow, that Ray Davies is a hell of a songwriter.  The Village Green Preservation Society is a great album.  Maybe I'll check out the Faces next.

The Small Faces?  I read so much stuff about them and loved Here Comes the Nice, then downloaded on of their albums and the only decent song was Ichycoo Park.  Oh well, the Kinks are tits.


WEIRDEST THING EVER:

Somehow, someway I came across theinevitable's blog or my space or some shit.  This was like a month or two ago, before I was here, and saw his guitar.  That is like my favorite guitar ever, and I was going to write you a message and tell you, but how weird would that have been.  You also like Sonic Youth so I was going to end you a message because of that as well.  Anyways, if my band ever takes off I am buying a guitar just like yours (I play bass btw, which is why I have to wait.  I just bought a 500 bass amp and am looking to get a harder hitting bass this summer).

Edit:  Oh yeah, the post.  I hate Pink Floyd, unless we be talking Piper at the Gates of Dawn.  Love barrett, hate floyd.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up