Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary  (Read 5528 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« on: April 12, 2006, 01:00:58 pm »

So the other day I saw some kind of piece in the paper on Cleary, and I swear it read like she had just died.  Then I thought, that wouldn't slip by the members of TOUAMB, would it?  Turns out she's turning 90.

Happy 90th!  One of the few authors from my earlier days in elementary school that I can still read with nearly the same amount of pleasure that I found in her works then.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:19:44 pm »

Holy crap, didn't know she was still kicking. I look forward to reading her books to my imaginary future children someday.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 02:42:47 pm »

wow, this is exciting.

she is a great lady. I liked her books. they are fun to read. And about animals!
I would recommend to read her books. I liked them all alot.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:12:10 pm »

Happy Birthday, Ramona's mom!

I didn't read her books as a kid, but read them to my kids.  They are wonderful, although sometimes I wonder why Beezus doesn't just haul off and smack Ramona.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:29:24 pm »

wow, this is exciting.

she is a great lady. I liked her books. they are fun to read. And about animals!
I would recommend to read her books. I liked them all alot.

That was the most adorable book review ever.  When I write my autobiography (tentatively titled Hobot: No, It's Not About Gardening), will you write an equally wonderful review for me?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 04:36:18 pm »

Hey look at those pictures - it's like Ramona at 90 and Ramona as a kid.  Cool.

Also, the hardwiring in my brain, upon seeing that picture of Beverly Cleary, makes me want to hug a grandma.  All three of mine are long gone, but my SO's grandma is totally due for a hugging over Easter.  She will be hugged.

Have you hugged a grandma lately?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 04:42:20 pm »

Have you hugged a grandma lately?

Yeah, but not quite the way you are suggesting.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 05:45:29 pm »

Happy Birthday, Ramona's mom!

I didn't read her books as a kid, but read them to my kids.  They are wonderful, although sometimes I wonder why Beezus doesn't just haul off and smack Ramona.

You have kids, Aug.

You know not everything makes the book!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 07:12:57 pm »

Sadly, the only grandma I know at the moment is my Psychology professor/grad school recommender, and I think it may actually be against the rules to hug her. I'll just have to hug my own grandmas more when I do see them again.

I remember almost nothing about the Ramona books, but nonetheless, awwww.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 09:10:22 pm »

When I was a kid there were books about Henry Huggins and his dog, Ribsy. I think those are harder to find now because it's way more profitable to market books to girls than boys. I read the Henry Huggins books.

Does anyone here remember Alvin Fernald?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 09:25:04 pm »

I was a big fan of Henry Reed.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 05:53:55 am »

I'm a big fan of Lou Reed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 01:11:40 pm »

I'm a big fan of Lou Reed.

I'm a big fan of Lou Marini.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 02:30:52 pm »

I'm a big fan of Lou Grant.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Happy 90th, Beverly Cleary
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 02:38:57 pm »

I'm a big fan of Richard E. Grant.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up