Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Poll

Wanna Do a Mixdisc Trade?

Yes
- 16 (61.5%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I'll say yes, but i'll never do it
- 7 (26.9%)
I don't want to hear your crappy music
- 3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24


Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down

Author Topic: MixDisc '06  (Read 56959 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2008, 04:06:25 am »

Its pretty obvious that Inev should have answered Option 3 in the poll.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2008, 04:29:32 am »

I'm seropusly going to dial in some NW rock. I will come up with a mix by next week. If you send me your addy, I will send you a disk. I will not hold you to sending me one, but you will probably get some shit here in the threads if you don't send me one. Maybe I will show up at your house.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2008, 05:00:23 am »

I am going to be moving soon, anyone doing it digital?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:42 am »

I am going to be moving soon, anyone doing it digital?

Ching chong wing wong. Let me know when you get settled.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2008, 03:11:13 pm »

I am going to be moving soon, anyone doing it digital?

You got this one already, right?
Still no cover art, sorry.  Feedback welcome.  (I'm lookin' at you, Paul.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #290 on: April 03, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »

so.
I have a tentative tracklist. 2 discs, because it was easier to add more songs than it was to cut-- too many songs that I love. but not enough songs to find a "theme." although there are two tracks by local groups on here. I am really sad that I couldn't get the track by the local ska group who I basically am in love with.

Disc 1: Rockabilly, post-punk, punk, ska.

1-- Elvis Presley-- Blue Suede Shoes
2-- Carl Perkins--That's All Right, Mama (almost used the awesome beatles version. but didn't.)
3-- Cake-- Stickshifts and Safety-Belts
4 X-- Burning House of Love (Live)
5 Mr J.R. Cash-- Hey Porter
6 I Ain't got You-- The Yardbirds (transition! semi-effective! really fun guitar solo.)
7 Buzzcocks-- What do I Get?
8 Mission of Burma-- That's when I reach for my Revolver
9 Viet-Nam-- Minutemen
10  Mission of Burma-- Ballad of Johnny Burma
11  Black Flag-- Wasted
12  The Replacements-- I will Dare
13  Mission of Buma-- Peking Spring (live)
14 Too Much Too Soon-- Mr Desmond Dekker
15 Shame and Skandal-- The Skatalites
16 Israelites-- Mr Desmond Dekker (this man has possibly my favorite voice.)
17 Nite Klub-- The Specials
18 Tonight-- The Slackers
19 Hey Baby! (new rising sun)-- Mr Jimi Hendrix
20 Mission of Burma-- Academy Fight Song (wow, doesn't this sound like REM, guitar-wise? Except, you know, older.)
21 Mr Chuck D and the Public Enemy-- Fear of a Black Planet (the title track of their 2nd album. also, the verse which gives the track its name is only said in samples. I love this.)
22 Sonic Youth-- (She's in a) Bad Mood

Disc 2! Jittery spastic rock, twee pop, and crazy loud music. and then some acoustic songs.

1 Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers-- Moanin'
2 Mr Stevie Wonder-- Big Brother
3 The Feelies-- Raised Eyebrows
4 Violent Femmes-- Prove my Love
5 The Feelies-- Fa-C-La
6 The 'mats-- Answering Machine
7 Beat Happening-- Let's Kiss!
8 Heavenly-- C is the Heavenly Option
9 Pixies-- Mr Grieves
10 Sleater-Kinney-- Little Mouth
11 The Talk-- Ammunition for a Love (this CD came out on my birthday, which was also the day I got my first guitar. my ex-girlfriend has smooched at least 2 members of this band.)
12 Elevator Action-- Modern Sickness (Another local band.)
13 Sonic Youth-- Hot Wire my Heart!
14 The Vaselines-- Son of a Gun (playing this song on an acoustic guitar to a baby will make him stop crying.)
15 Sleater-Kinney-- Good Things
16 Beat Happening-- Fortune Cookie Prize
17 The Slackers-- Sarah
18 What I like most about you is your Girlfriend-- The Specials
19 Andre "Ice Cold" 3000 w/ Norah Jones-- Take off your cool
20 The Flaming Lips-- There You Are (this song was recorded on the side of a highway. I love it. listen to the crickets! and the trucks going by!)

and I might add another jazzy song so that Moanin' is not all alone. Possibly: the song which includes the single saddest note ever played, on any instrument.

Whatever happened to this?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2010, 07:36:49 pm »

damn, I am a big jerk.

Also: it is weird how many songs that I LOVED four years ago are not in my top however-many-songs-fit-on-a-mix-CD anymore.

I was going through a big "did you know there are kinds of music that aren't rock music?" thing then.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up