Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Poll

Wanna Do a Mixdisc Trade?

Yes
- 16 (61.5%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I'll say yes, but i'll never do it
- 7 (26.9%)
I don't want to hear your crappy music
- 3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24


Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: MixDisc '06  (Read 57092 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2006, 11:15:47 pm »

Making a Richmond mix would be an excellent excuse for pumping Denali into your collective eardrums!  Count me in on this tentative endeavour. 

Oh, and it would also include GWAR.  What's not to love?

So help me if there's any Big Fat Groove Factory on there I'll have to do something unpleasant. Like the kind of thing that Q would think of. Mudcat Jones would be acceptable, however.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2006, 11:29:33 pm »

So help me if there's any Big Fat Groove Factory on there I'll have to do something unpleasant. Like the kind of thing that Q would think of.


Oh I'm thinking of them now.    *titters*  Oooh that's a good one... tee hee!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #167 on: June 28, 2006, 12:38:19 am »

I love the idea of a geographically relevant mix disk trade.  Mine would  include people who left Hawaii for fame and fortune and people who stayed here. Some of it will be somewhat mainstream-sounding pop, some will be possibly painfully local.

Really funny would be sending you all a DVD of local programming. OH MY GOD. That's all I can say (besides the fact that Hawaii Five-O is on 5 days a week here I shit you not.


Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #168 on: June 28, 2006, 05:03:33 am »

Hawaii Five-O is on 5 days a week here I shit you not.

How often do they show Magnum P.I.?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2006, 05:54:14 am »

man. I don't know of any bands that are from here except some local punk bands.
and the MOST AMAZING EXTANT SKA BAND, Andy and the Jivers. I'm not only saying that because I know them-- they are by far the ska band I listen to the most. Plus, their live shows are awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2006, 07:08:48 am »

Oh! Oh!

I could put together a mix disc of Finnish bands for you lot. ...except that half of them would be singing in Finnish so you wouldn't understand a word. But maybe i'll do it anyhow. Hmmm.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2006, 07:18:32 am »

How often do they show Magnum P.I.?

~Paul

Funny thing, I've only seen Magnum once and that was on TV Land - Hawaii Five-0 is on a local channel.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2006, 07:31:04 am »

Oh! Oh!

I could put together a mix disc of Finnish bands for you lot. ...except that half of them would be singing in Finnish so you wouldn't understand a word. But maybe i'll do it anyhow. Hmmm.

That would be amazing.


I could put together some Flaming Lips and Starlight Mints.  I could include my band, a couple of my friends bands, and a bunch of really shit local punk groups, but that wouldn't be that cool.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2006, 10:37:55 am »

Man, Atlanta's only got crunk or adult contemporary acoustic rock coming up outta here. That stuff don't go together on a CD at all.

All Outkast followed by Sister Hazel followed by Maceo followed by Shawn Mullins...
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2006, 12:53:11 pm »

Man, Atlanta's only got crunk or adult contemporary acoustic rock coming up outta here. That stuff don't go together on a CD at all.

All Outkast followed by Sister Hazel followed by Maceo followed by Shawn Mullins...

My problem is that I basically know crap about the famous DC bands. I've heard one Q And Not U song. I've never heard any Fugazi or Eddie From Ohio. And I don't really have any idea what go-go music even is. I have one Deep Dish album. Does that count for anything? Ooo, and Dave Grohl.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2006, 01:30:11 pm »

An all-inclusive list of bands from Richmond, lifted from Wikipedia:

Kevin Aviance
Aimee Mann
Ann Beretta
Avail
Carbon Leaf
Count Me Out
Cracker
D'Angelo
DENALI!
Down to Nothing
Engine Down (the band that was one of the reasons Denali broke up, goddamnit)
GWAR
House of Freaks
Jason Mraz
Lamb of God
Pat McGee Band
Race the Sun
Renee Heartfelt
River City High
Scarlet
Skylines
Strike Anywhere
Smoke or Fire
The Gaskets
Tulsa Drone
VCR

And some musicians from a list of famous Richmonders:

Joey Baron
Pat Benatar
Wes Borland (wow, I had no idea; I'm kind of ashamed)
Bryan Harvey (of House of Freaks; he was murdered on New Years Day this year, along with his wife and young daughters)
Shaquan Lewis
Mark Linkous
David Lowery


Cort, here's a handy source for you.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2006, 03:28:04 pm »

Maybe I should do bands from suburban PA rather than Philly.  I could include Cinderella and The Dead Milkmen.  And... um... Live.  Oh, and Ween.  And Camp Kill Yourself.  And... uh... G Love and Special Sauce.  And maybe Trent Reznor, although he's from that unfortunate western expanse of the state I think.

If I were to include the city the list could include:

John Coltrane
Hall & Oates
Will Smith
Boyz 2 Men
Schoolly D
Pink
The Hooters
The Bacon Brothers
The Nazz
Patti LaBelle
The Roots
Kevin Eubanks (not that he's known for being a musician)

And of course the American Bandstand supported artists:

Chubby Checker
Frankie Avalon
Bobby Rydell
Bill Haley
The Dovells

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2006, 04:02:52 pm »

And maybe Trent Reznor, although he's from that unfortunate western expanse of the state I think.

Jesus, no wonder he's so angsty.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2006, 04:07:48 pm »

And maybe Trent Reznor, although he's from that unfortunate western expanse of the state I think.
Jesus, no wonder he's so angsty.

Hey now, Pennsyltucky isn't that bad. It produced Kurt Angle. Well, and Sharon Stone ... and me. OK, I see your point.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2006, 04:22:06 pm »

Most of the Kentucky artists would be Country or Bluegrass.  However, we can claim Adrian Belew and the Everley Brothers.  Plus, Jimi Hendrix was stationed at Fort Campbell and played the Chitlin' Circuit around the area.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20   Go Up