Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Poll

Wanna Do a Mixdisc Trade?

Yes
- 16 (61.5%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I'll say yes, but i'll never do it
- 7 (26.9%)
I don't want to hear your crappy music
- 3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24


Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: MixDisc '06  (Read 56968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2006, 04:36:10 pm »

Most of the Kentucky artists would be Country or Bluegrass.  However, we can claim Adrian Belew and the Everley Brothers.  Plus, Jimi Hendrix was stationed at Fort Campbell and played the Chitlin' Circuit around the area.

I may be the only one, but I'd take you up on a bluegrass-oriented Kentucky mix.  Not so much the country, though.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2006, 04:56:57 pm »

This is basically the best idea for a mixdisc ever.  Thank you for the inspiration AD.

I will be working on whipping something up by this weekend.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2006, 05:07:15 pm »

yeah, um. On that link hobot posted? I got nothing. There has been no good band out of North Carolina.
Although, one of the bands listed plays in Charlotte all the time. I think they're a psychobilly band?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2006, 06:07:55 pm »

Aw, c'mon man, you at least have Ben Folds! Also Superchuck, Southern Culture on the Skids, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and my boy Ryan Adams!

Who knew Wikipedia lists musical acts by state? Will wonders never cease?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2006, 06:21:58 pm »

I will be reading this for the rest of the day.  Seriously, there is a list of band names with date references.

And this is for Tangle.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2006, 06:24:51 pm »

I will be reading this for the rest of the day.  Seriously, there is a list of band names with date references.

And this is for Tangle.

Goddammit Hobot.. I'm at work.. I have shit to get done.


*click* *click*  *click* 

(I just spent the last 30 minutes reading about some terribly crappy band from a tiny town just because I drove through it when I moved out west... DAMN YOU OCD!)

Edit: Also -  List of band names that contain numbers - WHY?  Why am I doing this to myself?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:30:02 pm by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2006, 06:43:13 pm »

I used to make lists like this - all bands titled "The ________".  Or "And The" bands, like "K.C. AND THE Sunshine Band" or "Sly AND THE Family Stone".

Yes, I used to have too much free time.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2006, 06:49:48 pm »

man. Ben Folds was not listed, nor was Ryan Adams.

Southern Culture on the Skids? squirrel nut zippers? are these good?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2006, 07:02:19 pm »

And this is for Tangle.

Thanks much! Of course, that list is missing some obscure good stuff that I intend to include :)

(...although, 99.9% of those names are probably hell of obscure to y'all anyway, so... um. did I have a point? dunno.)

I do hope no-one is expecting me to include any HIM. Don't think much of their music, myself. Although I do respect the fact that they've managed to gain some popularity outside Finland (and even in the States, based on the amount of HIM merch that I saw in a Hot Topic a few years back).

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2006, 07:05:45 pm »

I used to make lists like this - all bands titled "The ________".  Or "And The" bands, like "K.C. AND THE Sunshine Band" or "Sly AND THE Family Stone".

Yes, I used to have too much free time.

If you browse the Marked For Deletion you'll quickly learn how much the regulars there hate people like you. For some reason their 3 biggest pet peeves appear to be vanity pages, definitions, and lists. Although sufficiently geeky lists seem more like to slide through. Such as the List of neologisms on The Simpsons.

Tangle, aren't there two bands called HIM? Or is like HIM and h.i.m. or somesuch nonsense?
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2006, 07:07:22 pm »

If you browse the Marked For Deletion you'll quickly learn how much the regulars there hate people like you. For some reason their 3 biggest pet peeves appear to be vanity pages, definitions, and lists. Although sufficiently geeky lists seem more like to slide through. Such as the List of neologisms on The Simpsons.

List-haters will get their due. 


P.S. Cort, speaking of vanity pages, there's one missing now... *whistles innocently*
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Tangle

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 102
  • hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
    • View Profile
    • She was born on 2 June 2006.
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2006, 07:26:34 pm »

Tangle, aren't there two bands called HIM? Or is like HIM and h.i.m. or somesuch nonsense?
Yeah, kinda. The band I'm talking about, mates of Bam Margera and idols to goth emo girls here and there, is HIM. They were originally called His Infernal Majesty but shortened it to HIM due to accusations of Satanism and so on. Wikipedia page.

There is/was also a New York "dub influenced post-rock group" called HiM. Don't really know anything much about them. Wikipedia page.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2006, 08:49:43 pm »

Cort: I just made them on my own computer, in Word.  I did not post them to someone else's web site (i.e. Wikipedia).

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2006, 10:55:06 pm »

Southern Culture on the Skids? squirrel nut zippers? are these good?

I enjoy them -- they are both great live.  SCOTS is a wink and a nod at "trailer park" culture, but the music's hella fun.  They got a bit of airplay a few years ago with "Camel Walk," but I also really like "Firefly," "House of Bamboo," and "Daddy was a preacher but Mama was a go-go girl."  The female vocalist really reminds me of the B-52's.

Squirrel Nut Zippers is a swing band.  You probably know the song "Hell" because it was played everywhere, and was used in ads for Dead Like Me.  They're really a throwback to '30s style Cab Calloway jazz.

Side note: Squirrel Nut Zippers is responsible for my favorite music festival moment ever.  As they were finishing their set, the generator behind their stage literally caught on fire, so they played Hell with no lights, no amplification, and with flames behind them.  It was seriously awesome.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2006, 11:09:52 pm »

Oh yeah, I was thinking about a mixdisc featuring music from/around Alabama, but then I realized that I would have not one, but two American Idol winners on it.  And that's terrible.

Also, thanks to wikipedia, I know that Taylor Hicks was a year behind me at Auburn, and was probably in classes with my slacker roommate.

Woo.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Up