Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Poll

Wanna Do a Mixdisc Trade?

Yes
- 16 (61.5%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I'll say yes, but i'll never do it
- 7 (26.9%)
I don't want to hear your crappy music
- 3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24


Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: MixDisc '06  (Read 57122 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2006, 05:19:47 am »

I don't doubt it. 

Also, It came out totally wrong, but I was trying to say that your keyboard work was pretty awesome to my ears.  I just brought this 1968 or 1966 Yamaha Electone (like 2 layered organ-keyboard thing I got from my crazy, speed addicted step grandmother) into my apartment and tried to put it on a few tracks I am working on.  Who new that keyboard was so hard?  Oh yeah, like everyone.  I picked up the bass quick and I am just hoping to make cool filler noises with it by the time I want to actually start giving an album to people.  I am always amazed at how I am not able to make decent music right away with instruments after hearing them for so long, but luckily that makes me want to try harder instead of quit (except for with guitar.  Fuck guitar.)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2006, 05:34:00 am »

oh dude, guitar owns me.

except for like half an hour ago. I had this awesome two-chord jam going. there was kind of an E7 thing, and then I'd change it to another kind of E which I don't really know the name of. apparently it's an "E7#9?" And then I'd go down to an A. it sounded pretty awesome, and I had this funky rhythm going, and then I'd do little riffs between the chords, and then I'd sometimes throw in a D or a G....

and then it all kind of fell apart and my rhythm died and I started sucking again.

The worst part is, I know that in reality it sounded horrible. Apparently I have magical ears-- I think what I am playing sounds great, but to the objective listener it sounds like I am flailing at the strings without regard for rhythm or meter. luckily my wonderful angel of an ex-girlfriend told me this, so now I am at least aware of it.

however, I can write some kickass keyboard parts. I am not sure why. the chord progressions I come up with on the keyboard are just insane. However, I can only play chords. any kind of melody reveals that I have only had like 3 months of piano lessons, and that I only play the ivories when my mood is strange.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2006, 06:23:26 am »

I don't doubt it. 

Also, It came out totally wrong, but I was trying to say that your keyboard work was pretty awesome to my ears.  I just brought this 1968 or 1966 Yamaha Electone (like 2 layered organ-keyboard thing I got from my crazy, speed addicted step grandmother) into my apartment and tried to put it on a few tracks I am working on.  Who new that keyboard was so hard?  Oh yeah, like everyone.  I picked up the bass quick and I am just hoping to make cool filler noises with it by the time I want to actually start giving an album to people.  I am always amazed at how I am not able to make decent music right away with instruments after hearing them for so long, but luckily that makes me want to try harder instead of quit (except for with guitar.  Fuck guitar.)

Well, thank you for that.   Most of it was actually a Yamaha QR-10 machine, but I'll take whatever praise I can get, especially since I'm mainly a guitarist.

I've been playing in a band for the past eight years, and it's stunning how much work goes into just sounding okay.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #228 on: July 25, 2006, 06:37:38 am »

Yea, me and a couple "bandmates" (friends) have recorded like 8 songs in the past week.  We just started playing with each other recently, after we were drunk and fuck*ng around and I started singing this song I wrote a while ago.  The guys I am playing with are pretty good but don't write that good of lyrics.  I write okay lyrics for someone that rarely does it, but am only passable at bass (just picked it up recently) and guitar (I am actually better at guitar than bass, but I am tone deaf and can keep rhythm well, so yea, I switched).  So far it is working okay, but it is so hard (time consuming) to get it all perfect since we are recording live.  Like we play 2 verses and a cgorus right, then the harmonica/ guitar player goes off beat during his harmonica solo and you have to start again.  Probably not the same problems you have, but it is lame spending like 2 hours trying to get the harder songs perfect once.  I mean they are 3 to 6 minute songs, it should not take over an hour to get it right.  Not if you want to play live anytime soon, anyway.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2006, 06:56:41 pm »

Ok, my mixdisc is complete.

Audiobiography


Tracklist (with a good deal of help from the Houston Kid)

  • Still Learning How to Fly - Rodney Crowell
  • *****s for Ronnie - Crack the Sky
  • Fox on the Run - The Dondero High School Marching Band [Krista]
  • Only Sixteen - Dr. Hook [Gaylynn]
  • Janie Runaway - Steely Dan [Lisa]
  • Your So Rude - Faces [Shelly]
  • Black Rose (Live) - Shaver [Cricket]
  • Beast For Thee - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy/Matt Sweeny [Lesley]
  • This Never Happened Before - Paul McCartney [Lesley]
  • She Moves On - Paul Simon [Lesley]
  • Little Animal - Natali Leduc [Charissa]
  • Smile - Carolyn Wonderland
  • The Man in Me - Rodney Crowell
  • Falling off the Face of the Earth - Neil Young
  • No Expectations - Johnny Cash
  • If Jesus Came to Your House - Bill Lee
  • I'm Free - The Who
  • Jesus is the Answer (Live) - Paul Simon (with the Jesse Dixon Singers)
  • This Too Will Pass - Rodney Crowell
  • Revenge - Bill Cosby

Will post (soon) or mail.  Submit address for hard copy.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2006, 07:11:10 pm »

Looks like a cracker. Sign me up for more Paul.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2006, 03:57:43 am »

Get your request in.  Mail out disc get extras.  I'll be AWOL as of This Sunday so get your request in now!!!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2006, 08:22:06 am »

Ok here she blows.  Suck it up while you can.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2006, 04:56:05 pm »

is this a thing where you'd prefer us to download it, or do you get a kick out of making the CD for real and mailing it?

cause i dont want to be no kind of trouble no sir
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #234 on: July 26, 2006, 05:11:23 pm »

is this a thing where you'd prefer us to download it, or do you get a kick out of making the CD for real and mailing it?

If you are only gonna listen on your i-pod you'll never use the CD beyond ripping it, so there is no point in having it really, go on and get it now.  But those that prefer the mailer that option is available.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2006, 08:03:05 pm »

Alright, I made my mix disc and got it up on megaupload.com.

Unfortunately, this was the first mix I ever made and it is way too long.  29 songs, separated into two folders, comes in .rar format. 

It comes with two pages telling you what is in each disc, and, in windows, if you right click->view->details->then hit the # section in the toolbar or whatever it is called, it will put it in the right order for you.

Live Fast, Die Young; Mozart

Song List:

Live Fast, Die Young; Mozart (Disc 1):

01 Woody Guthrie- This Land Is Your Land (Lost Verse)
02 The Replacements- Here Comes a Regular
03 Joe Ely- Me and Billy the Kid
04 Bob Dylan- I Shall be Free, No. 10
05 The Modern Lovers- Pablo Picasso
06 Paul Westerberg- Mr. Rabbit
07 The Flatlanders- One Road More
08 Michael Fraccasso- Back to Oklahoma
09 Thievery Corporation- .38.45 (A Thievery Number)
10 Butch Hancock- West Texas Waltz
11 Bruce Springsteen- Meeting Across the River
12 Bill Hicks- Great Times on Drugs
13 Beanz- Shards of Glass
14 Jerry Jeff Walker- London Homesick Blues

Live Fast, Die Young; Mozart (Disc 2):

01  Super Furry Animals-  Furryvision(tm)
02 Shel Silverstein- I Got Stoned and I Missed It (Yes, Shel Silverstein, author of all of your favorite children's books)
03 Caetano Veloso- I have no idea what this song is called, sorry. 
04 Bob Dylan- Bob Dylan's 115th Dream
05 Flaming Lips- Hold Your Head
06 Junior Murvin- Police and Thieves
07 Bob Dylan- The Man in Me
08 Pulp- Weeds
09 Son Volt- Windfall
10 Super Furry Animals- Juxtaposed With You
11 13th Floor Elevators- It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
12 Clint Eastwood- Babylon, Don't Touch My Sensi
13 The Beta Band- Dog's Got a Bone
14 Happy Mondays- Country Song
15 The Stone Roses- I am the Resurrection


Sorry, taking 7,000 songs down to 15 is hard.  I got a lot of the stuff I am listening to now (Reggae and Redneck Liberal country.folk) in there and some tunes I consider classic for summer (like reggae).  Oh yeah, I forgot I put a Bill Hicks sketch in there to.  I would take it out, but I already uploaded it.  There will be no mailed out discs, sorry I can't afford it at this point.  I mispelled thieves or thievery alot too.  Damn I before E.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 09:58:27 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2006, 06:45:09 pm »

Anyone download this?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #237 on: July 27, 2006, 07:14:03 pm »

Anyone download this?

I am in the process of doing so. This looks pretty damn good. Will let you know what I think.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2006, 07:16:06 pm »

It keeps timing out on me, man.  Fuck that upload site.  Fuck it to HELL.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2006, 07:23:03 pm »

Bummer, maybe I can send some hard copies out on Aug 1 if anyone wants one bad enough, have to evaluate the finacial situation. 

The first disc is mainly country-folkish, the second is a bit more crazy.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up