Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Poll

Wanna Do a Mixdisc Trade?

Yes
- 16 (61.5%)
No
- 0 (0%)
I'll say yes, but i'll never do it
- 7 (26.9%)
I don't want to hear your crappy music
- 3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24


Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down

Author Topic: MixDisc '06  (Read 57068 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #240 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:39 pm »

Anyone download this?

I did, but I don't know how to use this .rar format.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #241 on: July 27, 2006, 08:04:55 pm »

I did, but I don't know how to use this .rar format.

~Paul


Download winrar and install it..  It's freeware (mostly)

That will allow you to "unrar" it.  It's a lot like zipping, but more efficient.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2006, 08:36:47 pm »

Ok, the next question is what is it called.  'My Mix' just ain't gonna cut it.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2006, 08:38:30 pm »

"Keith Hernandez's Home Run Jamboree"?  Naw.. I'm only funnin'.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2006, 08:42:08 pm »

Actually, I see that it has a name "Live Fast, Die Young, Mozart," which is a great name.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2006, 09:03:46 pm »

The track you have listed as Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves shows the artist to be Lee Scratch Perry.  Is Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves the name of the song or is Junior Murvin a pseudonym for Lee Scratch Perry?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2006, 09:54:19 pm »

Junior Murvin sang "Police and Thieves."  Lee "Scratch" Perry produced it.

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2006, 10:57:44 pm »

And it came in the Lee "Scratch" Perry Arkology box set.  Sorry for the confusion.

Most of the stuff he produced is more his than the artist that made it, from the way I understand how his productions worked.  At very least he was as important as the recording artist.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:01:19 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2006, 11:03:34 pm »

"Keith Hernandez's Home Run Jamboree"?


Now I have to make a new mix soon.  Thanks alot.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2006, 11:06:32 pm »


Now I have to make a new mix soon.  Thanks alot.

I do what I can good sir!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #250 on: July 28, 2006, 12:08:41 am »

so, I have made my theoretical mix, and it comes out to over 2.5 hours long. so, um. I need to work on it more.

anyway, there are a few songs that I have only included because I think most people might not be familiar with them. however, the reason most of my friends do not know these songs is that most of my friends know shit-all about music. so, tell me if it is rediculous to include:

Wasted-- Black Flag
What do I get? -- The Buzzcocks
There you Are-- Flaming Lips
Viet Nam-- Minutemen
The money will roll right in-- mudhoney
Mr Grieves-- Pixies
Prove my Love-- Violent Femmes
anything by The Replacements (mostly from Let it Be. I picked my favorite tracks, which came out to about half the album. obviously this will be pared down.)
anything by Mission of Burma (same as the 'mats. I picked my favorite tracks, which came out to half of what they ever released)
Minor Threat. Um.

once again, I realize that most of you are older than me, and that most of these groups are from the 80's. so maybe everyone who grew up in the 80's rocked out to "Straight Edge" and I wasn't aware.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #251 on: July 28, 2006, 12:20:15 am »

I am only 2 or 3 years older than you but have at least heard of every one of those bands.  Most I have heard as well.  Some of those I consider classic tracks and bands.

However, I haven't heard all of those and I included a Replacements track.  What I did for mine was I made a mix I will listen to for a couple weeks, and posted it.

I think that is the best way, since it was my first mix.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:01:34 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #252 on: July 28, 2006, 01:08:21 am »

Keith Hernandez is a singles hitter.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2006, 01:09:25 am »

so, I have made my theoretical mix, and it comes out to over 2.5 hours long.

Do a double like keef.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MixDisc '06
« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2006, 01:22:26 am »

see, but, I was going to make it For Real and mail it to people. so a single disc would probably be best.

I have now gotten it down to 1:36, though. the issue is that most of the songs are pretty short-- so cutting off an additional 16 minutes is probably going to be 6 or 7 tracks.

plus, I'm seeing if I can get a track by this local ska band. if I can't get a copy from them-- is there any tricky way that I can record a song that I'm streaming? They have the track on their Myspace, but it seems like "hold the microphone up to the speaker!" is a bad option.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 01:28:14 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up