Okay, so seriously I really needed to come to terms with his previous album before I could even start on this one.
I finally bought Living with War and I'm thinking it's one of his best albums ever.
But is it just me, or is almost every song making allusions to other Neil Young songs? With some of them I'm singing "Hey Hey My My" or "Keep On Rockin' In The Free World" because the chord progressions are exactly the same, and the melody lines similar but not exact (the Keep on Rockin' one in particular is much slower and in a minor key, but it's obviously the same song) so I'm wondering how much of this is intentional and how much is just Neil Young sounding like Neil Young.
Still, it's brilliant. "The Restless Consumer" is just amazing. The whole album sounds restless and urgent. I'm usually not a fan of sound clips and stuff in songs, but of course the Bush quotes in "Let's Impeach the President" are wholly appropriate.
Neil Young's albums are often angry, or bourne out of sadness and anger, but this is probably his angriest. Jesus.