Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Poll

Which of these legumes have you consumed?

garbanzos / chick peas
- 24 (9.2%)
black beans
- 24 (9.2%)
green / brown lentils
- 24 (9.2%)
red lentils
- 16 (6.1%)
kidney beans
- 24 (9.2%)
white kidney beans
- 20 (7.7%)
soy beans in the form of tofu
- 23 (8.8%)
soy beans in the form of tempeh
- 14 (5.4%)
split peas
- 21 (8%)
peanuts
- 27 (10.3%)
mung beans
- 7 (2.7%)
pinto beans
- 22 (8.4%)
jelly beans
- 15 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26


Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beans get no love  (Read 12426 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Beans get no love
« on: April 18, 2006, 06:23:18 pm »

I eat a lot of beans, so I'm kind of surprised when people don't. Last night I heard that some guy who was well over 20 had not ever heard of chick peas, and had never had lentils in a favourable context.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but I consider all of these reasonably common. Except in Germany, they have no black beans. We made a sport of looking for black beans in Germany.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 06:24:57 pm »

Soybeans in the form of edamame.  Yes, yes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:25:18 pm »

I have only ever had peanuts out of this list. I hate good food, but I am slowly becoming better at it. Bear with me.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:28:35 pm »

Hell, I've had most of those in the last two weeks. Beans are cheap and healthy, and I am poor. I'm assuming, though, that white kidney beans are the same as navy beans? I've never seen anything labeled as white kidney beans.

I've never had Mung beans, though. Anyone got a good recipe lying around? I'm in the mood for a flavor adventure.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:28:59 pm »

I have only ever had peanuts out of this list. I hate good food, but I am slowly becoming better at it. Bear with me.

I wanted everyone to have an option here.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 06:33:19 pm »

Hell, I've had most of those in the last two weeks. Beans are cheap and healthy, and I am poor. I'm assuming, though, that white kidney beans are the same as navy beans? I've never seen anything labeled as white kidney beans.

I've never had Mung beans, though. Anyone got a good recipe lying around? I'm in the mood for a flavor adventure.

I believe white kidney beans are different, they are the same size as kidney beans where navy beans are smaller. Similarly mild, though. They're good tossed in with pasta.

I've pretty much only had mung beans in curries, like this one. The hulled version (moong dal, you can get at the indian grocery store) is good for this too.
I would also count bean sprouts as mung beans, though.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 06:39:28 pm »

Hell, I've had most of those in the last two weeks. Beans are cheap and healthy, and I am poor. I'm assuming, though, that white kidney beans are the same as navy beans? I've never seen anything labeled as white kidney beans.

White kidney beans are usually labeled as cannellini.  They are tasty good, esp. in soups and Italian dishes.  Navy beans are smaller.  They're often what you're buying when you get a can o' baked beans.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever eaten mung beans, but rather mung bean sprouts.

posted at almost the same time as PigDog, there
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 06:41:54 pm »

No love for the great northern beans? Pretty good list. I have actually had all these, including Tempeh. That's not to say I liked 'em all, but I think beans are one of those things whose 'goodness' or 'badness' is 90% due to preparation.

Prepared the rightway, I bet I like 'em all.

Judy: You only hate good food because you can't get it in England. (I've been there. I looked. The Indian food was pretty good. The Haggis? OK) Try it, you'll like it.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 06:49:26 pm »

No love for the great northern beans? Pretty good list. I have actually had all these, including Tempeh. That's not to say I liked 'em all, but I think beans are one of those things whose 'goodness' or 'badness' is 90% due to preparation.

Prepared the rightway, I bet I like 'em all.

Ain't that the truth.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 07:02:59 pm »

Everyone loves a Jelly Bean.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 07:04:19 pm »

I have eaten all of those beans, but where is the comical final poll option?

I don't like beans.  I can't stand the mealy texture. They have to be cooked to a complete mush.  Hummus is OK, lentils cook into a puree easily, beans refried to within an inch of their life can be edible. But chewing on beans - ugh.  I love tofu, because it feels nothing like beans.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 07:05:27 pm »

Everyone loves a Jelly Bean.
but where is the comical final poll option?

Taa-da.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 07:06:01 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 07:15:40 pm »

I didn't check beans that I've only eaten accidentally like any that are ruining an otherwise tasty chili. Also I had no idea that one could get mung in non-sprout form.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 07:17:25 pm »

Everyone loves a Jelly Bean.

That's a better comical last option than human beans.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up