Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Poll

Which of these legumes have you consumed?

garbanzos / chick peas
- 24 (9.2%)
black beans
- 24 (9.2%)
green / brown lentils
- 24 (9.2%)
red lentils
- 16 (6.1%)
kidney beans
- 24 (9.2%)
white kidney beans
- 20 (7.7%)
soy beans in the form of tofu
- 23 (8.8%)
soy beans in the form of tempeh
- 14 (5.4%)
split peas
- 21 (8%)
peanuts
- 27 (10.3%)
mung beans
- 7 (2.7%)
pinto beans
- 22 (8.4%)
jelly beans
- 15 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beans get no love  (Read 12418 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 07:26:11 pm »

... and, they're good for your heart.

I'm not sure I ever had tempeh, but the rest I certainly have.  I made hummus last night.

Nothing like navy beans cooked with a little country ham.   Mmmmmm.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 07:28:54 pm »

I really, really want to like beans, but I managed to pick up a food aversion (it's like an allergy, but with extra psychosomatic flavor!) during Girl Scout camp one year and now seriously cannot deal with them. Like, "dining with too many people having beany chili is uncomfortable on an odor level" can't-deal. That said, for some reason soy is fine, and I'm growing to love soy meat replacements for some reason. (Maybe it's my body's way of telling me it's time to go veggie?)
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 07:34:38 pm »

I'm not sure I ever had tempeh, but the rest I certainly have. 

I love tempeh, but it's hard to describe it in any way that sounds appealing. "It's made from partially cooked soybeans with a mould grown over them to form a solid cake... no wait, it's a fermented soybean product, which aids digestibility... um, HERE HAVE A SANDWICH! IT'S GOOD HONEST!"

I swear there's something funny in it, as I always feel remarkably calm after eating it. All the preparation methods recommend steaming it first though, which I find makes it way too mushy. I just dice it and marinate it in soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, sesame oil, and sriracha, then fry it. But seriously, what wouldn't taste good with that treatment.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 08:03:05 pm »


Nothing like navy beans cooked with a little country ham.   Mmmmmm.

Well sure, but what isn't?  I mean, you could eat, like, computer keyboard keys cooked with a little country ham, practically.   Hmm, and they wouldn't be so dang mealy...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 08:05:31 pm »

Well sure, but what isn't?  I mean, you could eat, like, computer keyboard keys cooked with a little country ham, practically.   Hmm, and they wouldn't be so dang mealy...

You have just described all of southern cuisine. You should have seen my husband's eyes light up when I brought him over to a friends house for a bunch of "vegetables", and not a one of them lacked a pork product.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 08:06:08 pm »

Well sure, but what isn't?  I mean, you could eat, like, computer keyboard keys cooked with a little country ham, practically.   Hmm, and they wouldn't be so dang mealy...

Hey, don't get snarky with me just because you don't have an appreciation for the finer things in life.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 08:07:49 pm »

You have just described all of southern cuisine. You should have seen my husband's eyes light up when I brought him over to a friends house for a bunch of "vegetables", and not a one of them lacked a pork product.

Southerners are geniuses.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2006, 08:24:17 pm »

I love tofu, because it feels nothing like beans.

And here in WA, it's allowed to grow Free-Range.


I had just remembered that I put that together last week.   JPG Reuse is also good for the environment.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 08:27:55 pm by smick »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2006, 09:28:09 pm »

Hey, don't get snarky with me just because you don't have an appreciation for the finer things in life.

I am not being snarky.  I am totally sincere.  Things Go Better with Pork.

And Ash:  I am touched by your concern.  But it is hopeless.  I do try to eat very mushy beans whenever I can.  It is the best I can do.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 09:38:15 pm »

my Latin teacher proclaimed that the south is about to rise again.

because he hatched the idea of mixing in cholesterol inhibitors with Crisco. So that everything can be fried again.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 09:44:49 pm »

I'ma buying a big assload of lima beans tonight to bubble up w/ the leftover ham shank from easter sups. I may get some carrots and chop their tasty asses into that mess too.

HEY! Does any of those funk-ass bean names mean LIMA BEAN? 'Cause if they don't it's a grevious omission in my double-wide loving point of view.

WOMBAT: I love you but you are so wrong and dirty and broken about this. Please, get some help. Embrace the lowly bean on its own mealy terms. Dr. Phil, whatever. Help. You. Please. NOW.

I covet your hambone. We went out for Easter. At least the hams are on sale now....

What I do is, I make a Mirepoix and cook the shank for a while (like, an hour or two) with it along with a sachet d'epice (bay leaf, peppercorns, sprigs of thyme, maybe a clove of garlic and or some parsely tied in cheesecloth) to make the pork stock nice and 3 dimensional. Takes some time, though. It should never boil. Throw the beans in after you skim off the foam and remove the raft of mirepoix and the sachet. Throw in the veggies you actually want to eat as well. (Used mirepoix is bad eats.)

Sounds like too much work, but I love it.

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 11:00:14 pm »

Well, I had hummus, falafel, and lentil soup for dinner.  Not that I let imaginary people on a messageboard run my life or anything.  Excuse me, now I have to go work on my mix CD...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 02:35:18 am »

Well, I had hummus, falafel, and lentil soup for dinner.  Not that I let imaginary people on a messageboard run my life or anything.  Excuse me, now I have to go work on my mix CD...

Damn.  Just don't hang out around an open flame.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:02:12 am by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 02:48:02 am »

Tasty Food For A Lazy Person

(1) blue can chick peas in water

Dump in bowl

Microwave until hot and not too hard to eat comfortably

Mostly drain

Put some butter, salt and pepper on it

Eat
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 03:06:25 am »

Tasty Food For A Lazy Person

(1) blue can chick peas in water

Dump in bowl

Microwave until hot and not too hard to eat comfortably

Mostly drain

Put some butter, salt and pepper on it

Eat

I do something very similar. 

Dump chickpeas in bowl.

Add:

Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Garlic Powder
Salt (kosher)
Few grinds of Pepper
Maybe some hot sauce.

Ta DA!  It's extra chunky Hummus. 

Sometimes I prefer this to actual hummus because I like the skins on the garbanzos.  They have a little texture thing that I like -- they kind of <snap>, you know?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up