As one of those wacky vegans, I consume beans on a daily basis, because legumes are one of the few food items that I allow myself to ingest. Re: the tempeh discussion, it is very easy to make it incorrectly, and thereby ruin it. In fact, the vegan/vegetarian dining hall here at school does it on a regular basis. I've started to shudder just looking at the stuff, because I have flashbacks that involve its nightmarish texture.
Re: the country ham discussion, I have an amusing anecdote to relate. I am from the South, but my dad's family is located in the Midwest. One year when my parents and I visited our relatives in the Heartland, we toted along a ham from Smithfield, VA (which is apparently the Ham Capital of These United States) and convinced my grandmother to cook it. When it was served at dinner, it had been cut into very thick slices, because the Midwesterners were not familiar with the proper way to serve and consume country ham. My parents and I were not surprised when our relatives expressed their dismay at the unbearable saltiness of the ham. These family members made up their mind that country ham was entirely unappealing, and have refrained from eating it since.