Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Poll

Which of these legumes have you consumed?

garbanzos / chick peas
- 24 (9.2%)
black beans
- 24 (9.2%)
green / brown lentils
- 24 (9.2%)
red lentils
- 16 (6.1%)
kidney beans
- 24 (9.2%)
white kidney beans
- 20 (7.7%)
soy beans in the form of tofu
- 23 (8.8%)
soy beans in the form of tempeh
- 14 (5.4%)
split peas
- 21 (8%)
peanuts
- 27 (10.3%)
mung beans
- 7 (2.7%)
pinto beans
- 22 (8.4%)
jelly beans
- 15 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26


Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beans get no love  (Read 12422 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 04:30:32 pm »

Iron is a little strange, because one wants enough, but not too much.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 04:36:21 pm »

I want too much, but then I like being described as Metallic, so there's that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:04:20 pm by misterqueue »
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 06:37:06 pm »

Your heart is going to kill you. And once it's finished, it's coming after me.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2006, 11:40:18 pm »

Iron is a little strange, because one wants enough, but not too much.

I once had iron saturation in my blood.  I was re-tested a month or so later, and the levels were normal.  It may have been a mistake originally, or it may have been that I had stopped taking my daily multi-vitamin.  Who knows.  But to this day, I only take Centrum Silver (or the Kirkland Signature brand equivalent).
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2006, 01:23:06 am »

I don't understand.

You stopped taking a supplement and had too much iron in your blood? And it subsided without chelation?

Sounds to me like your liver took a break. Or a tech screwed up the test.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2006, 05:28:41 am »

I think it was a tech screw-up.  In fact that's what they thought too.  But what I meant was that I had stopped taking a multi-vitamin in the time between the first and second blood tests.  First blood test showed too much iron, second test didn't, and to this day part of me worries about ingesting too much iron, as silly as that sounds.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2006, 11:41:59 am »

Guys shouldn't get too much iron. I don't remember why though, and I don't feel like researching now. Most mens multivitamins don't contain any iron, so you could look into those if you're set on taking one.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2006, 02:32:50 pm »

Guys shouldn't get too much iron. I don't remember why though, and I don't feel like researching now. Most mens multivitamins don't contain any iron, so you could look into those if you're set on taking one.

I've heard iron increases the risk for heart attack/heart disease or some such. Supposedly it's not an issue for women because they're able to shed iron. That's what I read in Men's Health like 4 years ago, anyway.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2006, 03:09:55 pm »

Your heart is going to kill you. And once it's finished, it's coming after me.
BECAUSE OF IRON
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2006, 03:35:40 pm »

Iron suppliments are very hard on your stomach.  My mom had to take them, she was told to by her doctor for whatever reason, or so she says - it's hard to tell with my mom.  Then she passed out from a bleeding stomach ulcer.  Another doctor told her that one should not take iron suppliments in high doses.  So she decided this meant she needed to stop taking all her perscription psychological meds.  That was more than a year ago, and now she is barely tollerable to be around because she is so out of her head.  Good times.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Beans get no love
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2006, 07:49:04 pm »

because they're able to shed iron.

That's the nicest reference to menstruation I've ever heard.

Some guy wrote this in 1996. I'm not sure what his credentials are. I do know that I've never had a medical professional tell me I should get my iron tested regularly.

Make sure your diet contains anti-oxidants, though, that'll help get rid of stuff like excess iron.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up