Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!  (Read 17130 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 05:42:20 pm »

Yep.  Those are my photographs.  "Hobot" was taken, and I realised that "nohobot" was more clever anyway, since I am in Northampton, which is referred to as Noho by those in the know.

So you're not a Hobo *****, you're actually a Northampton *****?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 06:04:32 pm »

I was going to retort, but I don't want this to turn into the PC-buying thread.  I probably shouldn't have responded in the first place.  Also, I obviously know nothing about photography, so there's another reason I should have neglected to reply.


*Slinks away*
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 06:06:08 pm »

For example, Manitoba gets its share of snow, so if you want to take a picture outside during a goodly chunk of the year you need to know how to adjust for the light meter leveling out the exposure due to all that bright ass white (and turning everything grey because of that).

My shiny blue camera has a button that says 'snow'.  And one that is for a party!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 06:06:31 pm »

Ash, you big bully, you hurt Hobots feelings.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 06:08:46 pm »

I was going to retort, but I don't want this to turn into the PC-buying thread.  I probably shouldn't have responded in the first place.  Also, I obviously know nothing about photography, so there's another reason I should have neglected to reply.


*Slinks away*

It is okay hobot, you are a rad friend.


YOU. ARE. RAD.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 06:09:13 pm »

So if you press the "party" button, do you instantly get a party?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 06:30:14 pm »

So if you press the "party" button, do you instantly get a party?

Lisa: Who's playing that music?
Marge: And where's all that liquor coming from?
Homer: It's a party, Marge. Doesn't have to make sense.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 07:13:36 pm »

Uh, bullshit. There's lots of conditions where the pre-set modes just don't cut it unless you like shitty photos. For example, Manitoba gets its share of snow, so if you want to take a picture outside during a goodly chunk of the year you need to know how to adjust for the light meter leveling out the exposure due to all that bright ass white (and turning everything grey because of that). A similar condition for me out here would be over water in bright sunlight.

Short summary: You can use a digital the same as an old 135 Instamatic with about the same results, mostly good, easy and fun but limited. But at a pricepoint under $200 you can get into doing so fuck*ng much more it's ridiculous.

'Course, just 'cause you can doesn't mean you got any want to. Pointy Clicky works for the vast majority of the population.

I still like film.  Is that so wrong?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 07:14:52 pm »

I still like film.  Is that so wrong?

No.  But may I ask why?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »

I guess because until recently, digital cameras that do all the stuff Ash was saying weren't really affordable. Once I can buy a true SLR digital with interchangeable lenses that looks and acts just like my Nikon F-5. I'll probably stop using film because the difference in the images will be reduced to a single point: how long I have to wait to see them.

Right now, those are still out of my price range.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 03:22:02 pm »

See I took my film using camera with me to Toronto, and when ever someone else took a picture they were totally startled when it made the little whirring sound it makes when it automatically proceeds to the next frame.  And I got lots of comments like "Wow, old school!"  I actually hate taking photos of things, I really like to depend on my memory, rather than a photo.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 05:29:13 pm »

Paul and Mel! Fight! fight! fight!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 05:51:01 pm »

Paul and Mel! Fight! fight! fight!

No little The Inevitable we won't fight because we are both right and we both know it.  In Melanie's case she has a strong memory and the eloquence to bring her memories to life via the printed word.  I on the other hand have a suspect memory and I don't share Melanie's gift of writing.  So I use photos to tell my stories and preserve my memories.  One must play to their strengths.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 05:26:44 pm »

I am sorry.

I am sorry for saying that you should fight.

*hugs mel*

*hugs paul*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 05:02:27 am »

Indonesia is cool (Bali has been a popular holiday destination for australians for forever, though the popularity waned a bit after that nightclub got blown up).
My only advice is that if you plan on being  a drug mule and you get caught then don't get the press involved. Totally screws up your chance at bribing your way out of jail. A few aussies went down for it recently and the australian press was all over them so they all ended up doing life or at the wrong end of a shotgun deportation.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up