Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!  (Read 17205 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2006, 08:31:51 am »

Oooh! That sounds like a good story waiting to be told. Tell us, V!

Well, if you insist.

As I may have mentioned a couple of times on this board, I grew up in Alaska -- Fairbanks, to be exact. When I was in fifth grade, I won my school's Geography Bee and thus qualified to go to the state bee, which of course was held in Anchorage at the Holiday Inn. This involved taking time off school and making the lengthy drive to Anchorage, which in those days was always kind of a treat. I didn't care that much about geography, but I was psyched anyway...

... and yet, the week of the state bee, I got the flu. Not just a sniffly strain, but one of those mother-of-all-Martian-Death-Flu types that takes your whole system out. I really should have stayed in bed, but my parents really didn't want me to miss my big day, so I got tons of cough syrup and we headed out.

Flash-forward to: the day of the bee. That morning at breakfast I had gotten dizzy and quite nearly fainted, which should have been a sign that competing in the bee was not part of my dharma, but I soldiered on! Once my preliminary round started, I got my first three questions right, and then...

Then, well, I don't actually remember this part very well. I think I've blacked it out. But I do remember that there was vomiting -- lots of vomiting. In the conference room. During the preliminaries.

After that, it's all a bit of a blur; needless to say, my competitive day was over, and the rest of the stay in Anchorage was spent in bed. However, that wasn't enough! It all continued to reap its hideous dividends: first, when my parents were in the elevator later that day and were asked excitedly by another Bee parent if they had heard about what happened, that some girl had puked right in the middle of... -- Silence, followed by sad nods, followed by more silence.

And finally... eventually, I had to go back to school, at which point I met the chorus of people all asking how it went and how I did. I still can't remember what the lie I told them was, but I think it was thorough.

I still can't see Holiday Inn carpet without a vague twinge of dizziness and shame.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2006, 05:23:45 am »

Hi all, just so you know, I have an insane amount of preparations to undertake before I leave on Thursday, and indeed you probably wont hear much, or at all from me until I return in early December. 

(I am hoping that the Kuala Lumpur airport, where I have an 11 hr stop over, has some sort of internet cafe... There's a business centre listed on their site, so maybe then...)

One of the things I'll be doing is learning how to use Flicker so that I have some place safe to store the photos I'll be taking on the borrowed digital camera I'm bringing along, so you may find me there.

Cheers all, and an early happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans on the board! 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2006, 05:25:53 am »

best of luck, smells. I will make you a contact on flickr and such!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2006, 12:49:59 pm »

Holy shit, I'm in Indonesia.

The hotel is in a gated compound with armed guards.

The drive from the airport made it pretty clear why this is nessiary.

They charge $12 per hour for internet access, so so long!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2006, 12:54:51 pm »

Not that you'll be around to read this, but have a great time and keep safe. Any dude or lady starts putting the moves on you, bust out on them with a commanding voice in a manner befitting of the theatrical arts.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2006, 06:41:00 pm »

Enjoy Indonesia, and tell us all about it when you get back! If allowed by law, a Paul-style photoessay would be rad.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2006, 11:23:03 pm »

Dang, have fun.  Get home safely.  Post lots of pictures.  Best of luck.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2006, 05:31:12 am »

Still not in India.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2006, 05:09:48 am »

Holy shit, I'm in Indonesia.

The hotel is in a gated compound with armed guards.

The drive from the airport made it pretty clear why this is nessiary.

They charge $12 per hour for internet access, so so long!

Ya know, when the Islamic world is really really shaking itself up Indonesia isn't the best place to be - but since you aren't American, you should do OK.

My pastor's son was there when gangs were going into the hotels and and yanking out and beating Americans. The hotel manager had actually registered all the Americans as Australian or Canadian so no one got hurt.

Hence the gated hotel. Be safe, have fun and get home OK.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2006, 08:51:51 pm »

I'm home.

It was a life changing trip, and at this point a lot of it is really hard to articulate.  The crushing poverty, the incredibly strong women, the artistic mastery of artists from practically every corner of the globe, the friends I made.  At one point I was sitting and laughing with some women who's entire community had been destroyed by the tsunami almost two years ago, at another a women told me about how she had been unable to present her speech at the conference because her country's ambassador had unexpectedly appeared at the conference, and her speech was one critical of her government's censorship.  I was in the company of women who had been to prison for the their writting, women who had been circumcised as children, women who believed in serving their husbands... Women who in spite of all odds were finding their voice through art.  It was very powerful.

I got back home to over a foot of snow.  The shock of having been swimming in the ocean in the blazing heat 36 hours before made me start to shake really hard - not from the cold, just from the impossibility of getting my brain to accept the change climate and 13 hour time difference.

Jakarta was mind blowing:  the traffic, the contrast of rich and poor... it was so much to take in.  (Note that the shot of my hotel's pool and the slum on the river are shots taken out of the same window at just slightly different angles.)

The performances I got to see were incredible.  From women jumping up and down on shards of broken ceramics in protest to the suffering of women in their community to the traditional dance/music/theatre to a puppet show about terrorism with puppets specially rigged to have their faces cut off or puke out ramin noodles, it ran the full gamut of serious to silly.  Getting to know and work with so many Muslim women was also very enlightening.

When it came to food, I tried just about everything that was offered.  The food was mostly unpleasant - too totally unfamiliar to be truly enjoyed. To be honest, I longed for North American cuisine and I'm still suffering from all the fruit and rice I ate. 

I went to Bali for the last part of my trip and it was amazing.  All the conference delegates were given a police escorted motorcade through the streets of Bali to the Bali Classic Centre.  When we arrived we were ushered in by these lovely ladies , and followed behind by [ulr=http://www.flickr.com/photos/side_show/311301770/]these lovely men[/url] playing a myriad of instruments. We sat under gorgeous canopy and watched performances all night long, only to escorted by police motorcade back to our hotels.

In Bali my hotel room had two balconies, and I watched the sunrise over the ocean every morning.  Naturally I swam in the ocean too, and I went to the Enchanted Monkey Forest with two Australians, another Canadian and an Italian (the Italian and myself not pictured here). The monkeys were good natured and cute.  In the Monkey Forest, we visited the Temple of the Dead, where there were some incredible statues like this one.  There were a couple of these where the babies look totally content with being eaten, and another holding a severed head.  Near the end of our visit, I got distracted by some monkeys who decided to go for a swim, and dislocated something in my foot, and painfully limped for what little was left of the evening, but I was basically too caught up in enjoying myself to let it bother me.  Thankfully I got my foot on ice right away and the next morning there was a loud "pop!" and magically everything was all right, and the pain was gone.

I could go on and on and on.  Really what I took away from the experience is that I am so very fortunate, and my country is so very wealthy, and that there is so much more I need to do to help the women who do not share the level of freedom and comfort that I do.

I have more pics on flickr, and loads more photos to upload, but I've already filled my quota for the month on the site today, so they'll have to wait.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2006, 12:24:22 am »

Don't even have time to read your post right now Mel, but wanted to be the first to welcome you back home.  Glad you are home safe and sound.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2006, 01:59:58 am »

Glad you had a good, safe time.  The monkeys are adorable, especially the one with his tongue out.  Welcome home!!!

Also, the two pictures of rich and poor are really amazing.  It is foreign to me that so much poverty and money could be so close together.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2006, 04:43:05 am »

Welcome back. May your next week be filled with hamburgers and pasta. How was your panel? The topic sounded interesting: "Diversity and Art on the Global Plain."
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2006, 05:30:21 am »

My continued suffering from Bali Belly drove me to the drugstore today. 

The panel was sort of okay... there were some problems with organization on the first day, where they started us late, then shaved 5 minutes off of each of our speech times, and since mine was only 15 min long to begin with that meant cutting 1/3 of my speech, with only 2 minutes to figure out how, which was sort of a disappointment.  I was talking about globalization, the disappearance of neighborhood as community, and our role as artists in creating a new social structure of community as art.  We did get into a really interesting discussion about language, linguistic preservation in the face of globalization... which was pretty fun to talk about while knowing I was being translated, and which raised a lot of interest in people of all languages, but then we ran out of time.  Better to leave them wanting more I suppose.  I ended up getting a lot of interest from the Australians, who have had very similar experiences to those of Canadians when it comes to colonialism, language and politics.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Shit! I'm going to Indonesia!
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2006, 02:11:49 pm »

I don't really get linguistic preservation. But then maybe that's just because I use the aggressive language already.

I remember my high school spanish teacher would go on a ten minute rant if anybody used any of the "abomination" words that were "ruinging spanish" like beepar or emailar. But should could never explain how this was any different than spanish stealing the word guerra from german or english taking the same word for guerilla. Apparently that was OK because it happened before she was born but any modern changes to the language are worthy of criminal charges.

She was also against the decision that ch and ll no longer be considered separate letters when alphabetizing.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up