Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: talking singer (09-10-03)  (Read 2760 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
talking singer (09-10-03)
« on: September 10, 2003, 04:30:31 pm »

I'm impressed. Mark Twain was obviously a crazy-smart guy, but his ability to comprehend and process the slang, terms, and syntax variations in our english is awesome.

It took me a couple days to figure out the whole "hizzle my shizzle" thing

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:14:55 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: talking singer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 05:45:12 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm impressed. Mark Twain was obviously a crazy-smart guy, but his ability to comprehend and process the slang, terms, and syntax variations in our english is awesome.

It took me a couple days to figure out the whole "hizzle my shizzle" thing


What do you mean by "figure out"?  Does "hizzle my shizzle" actually mean something?

I just like that Phillipe is starting school - does this mean he's progressing in human years since he's probably entering kindergarden or grade one?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: talking singer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 07:08:44 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
What do you mean by "figure out"?  Does "hizzle my shizzle" actually mean something?

I just like that Phillipe is starting school - does this mean he's progressing in human years since he's probably entering kindergarden or grade one?


The first couple times I heard it there was no context, so I couldn't tell if it meant "for sure, my friend" or " The idiocy of your statement has caused me to lose my language faculties."
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
talking singer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 07:30:40 pm »

I thought "hizzle my shizzle" was the street version of a pirate's "shiver me timbers."  

Arr.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
talking singer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 10:09:51 pm »

It's "Fo' Shizzle my Nizzle", which, when translated, is an ethnic slur that is not allowed in my 8th grade math class (even though I'm the only honkey for miles).

After previewing, let it be noted that I am an 8th grade math teacher, not an 8th grade math student.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
talking singer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 10:25:16 pm »

Reminds me of the time I was in my mom's car and her soft rock station played a commercial featuring the word "shiznit" Apparently they were banking that their target audience wouldn't know what it meant, but their kids in the backseat would.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
talking singer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 10:58:01 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Reminds me of the time I was in my mom's car and her soft rock station played a commercial featuring the word "shiznit" Apparently they were banking that their target audience wouldn't know what it meant, but their kids in the backseat would.


It's like Firefly which all the swearing is done in Mandarin.
a la : Qingwa cao de liumang
which translates to - Frog fuck*ng punk.
Now I know most Chinese-Americans speak Cantonese, but even so! It's not like it doesn't go out at 8pm over here and some of us know a little bit.
I loved it mind, not like I'm complaining!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
talking singer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 03:11:50 pm »

There's also "Off the hizzle fo' shizzle," which translates as "Off the hook, for sure."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up