Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the French Hate The U.S.  (Read 15291 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2006, 08:47:37 pm »

Second time I've heard this story today, too.

Well it is a good story after all.


I have to admit however that I do get an immature bit of laughter about the fact she arose that way... also, you know, the phrase Foamy Jism of Poseidon is basically schoolboy gold.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2006, 08:49:42 pm »

three-pronged trident

The Roman retiarii gladiators used these, and according to sources I shan't dare to name they were very effective against sword-based warriors, as not only did the length of the weapon allow them to keep the other Damnati in check, but the three prongs could be used to block and even disarm most attacks. If someone swung a sword at you, catching it in the prongs then twisting would certainly throw them off a bit.

Or maybe it's just symbolic of something or other?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2006, 08:52:31 pm »

The Roman retiarii gladiators used these, and according to sources I shan't dare to name they were very effective against sword-based warriors, as not only did the length of the weapon allow them to keep the other Damnati in check, but the three prongs could be used to block and even disarm most attacks. If someone swung a sword at you, catching it in the prongs then twisting would certainly throw them off a bit.

Or maybe it's just symbolic of something or other?

Which just goes to show you that having a long triple-headed dinkus is clearly evolutionarily preferrable as you can diswang the regular old joes who may attempt to mate with your own preferred breeding partner.


Oh hell.. this isn't going anywhere nice.  I'd say I was sorry about this, but really I'm not.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2006, 08:55:06 pm »

Oh god.. don't start with the mythology.  Next thing you know I will try and determine why Hephaestus would make a missle and then I'm two steps away from ancient slashfic and goddammit my parents are already disappointed in me enough.

Alright Mr. Expert. Aegis: A-gis or E-gis?

And the books Ilium and Olympos: What the hell? Really.

Wouldn't Poseidon do better witha double headed dinkus? He could claim to be the basis for that lame "shocker" hand gesture.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2006, 09:02:17 pm »

Which just goes to show you that having a long triple-headed dinkus is clearly evolutionarily preferrable as you can diswang the regular old joes who may attempt to mate with your own preferred breeding partner.

I'm not sure about the triple-headed part, but "have a really huge weird wanger in order to ensure that only your sperm reaches the gametes of your lady love" is a well-established evolutionary strategy.

(Fun Fact: there's a correlation between polygamy rates among primates and male reproductive-organ size! Chimps are ridiculously hung relative to their body size because a chimp lady will get it on with any old dude, meaning there's hella sperm competition; in contrast, gorillas are monogamous, and thus male gorillas are not particularly well-endowed. Humans are in the middle. This presents all sorts of fun party-game possibilities.)
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2006, 09:03:21 pm »

Alright Mr. Expert. Aegis: A-gis or E-gis?

And the books Ilium and Olympos: What the hell? Really.

Wouldn't Poseidon do better witha double headed dinkus? He could claim to be the basis for that lame "shocker" hand gesture.

E-jis (long e short i) is the most acceptible version that I have encountered but I am a lover of stories not a linguist.  (I am however cunning.)

Dude.. Dan Simmons concerns me about as much as the one grey hair I found on the side of my head the other day... "NOT AT ALL".

Furthermore, why would you go in for a dual-dinkus when you have the option of a triple-trousersnake right around the corner?  That just seems foolish.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2006, 09:04:05 pm »

Actual science

Sure.. ruin my joke with evidence, logic, and reason.


man you guys... just man.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2006, 09:06:50 pm »

The Roman retiarii gladiators used these, and according to sources I shan't dare to name...

I think Judy's been talking to Monkey Punch. Did he mention Roman Gladiators and Nate Small by any chance?
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2006, 09:07:35 pm »

Alright Mr. Expert. Aegis: A-gis or E-gis?

I second Q's pronunciation.  This makes sense because in Latin, ae is pronounced "ee," as in alumnae ("alum-nEE"); in contrast, i is pronounced "eye," as in alumni ("alum-nEYE").
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2006, 09:11:25 pm »

I think Judy's been talking to Monkey Punch. Did he mention Roman Gladiators and Nate Small by any chance?

My sources were the Roman Day at Chedworth Roman Villa. I got to watch mock gladiator fights. That is my source.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

1

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11
  • Clay Regazzoni? Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2006, 09:16:44 pm »

They didn't have gladiators when I went there. I seriously doubt they ever had a working arena in Chedworth, due to its status as Worst Tourist Trap in all Southwest Gloucestershire. Might be Wiltshire.
Logged
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 09:21:59 pm »

They didn't have gladiators when I went there. I seriously doubt they ever had a working arena in Chedworth, due to its status as Worst Tourist Trap in all Southwest Gloucestershire. Might be Wiltshire.

Nope, it's Gloucestershire. Anyway, what the hell are you on? We got to wear Roman armour and have a story from a Real Centuriontm, watch fights, and look at the remains of the villa! And they sold wooden gladiuses and those big half round shields.

They just fought on grass. The lady fighters wore very loose dresses, much to the delight of the creepy commentator. (Especially when they had to wrestle each other. We all know the real purpose of this place, then.)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

1

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 11
  • Clay Regazzoni? Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2006, 09:30:41 pm »

Nope, it's Gloucestershire. Anyway, what the hell are you on? We got to wear Roman armour and have a story from a Real Centuriontm, watch fights, and look at the remains of the villa! And they sold wooden gladiuses and those big half round shields.

They just fought on grass. The lady fighters wore very loose dresses, much to the delight of the creepy commentator. (Especially when they had to wrestle each other. We all know the real purpose of this place, then.)

Well, there were no opportunities for said lechery when I went. In fact, there were no opportunites for anything but rapid heat exhaustion.
Logged
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2006, 09:43:10 pm »

I second Q's pronunciation.  This makes sense because in Latin, ae is pronounced "ee," as in alumnae ("alum-nEE"); in contrast, i is pronounced "eye," as in alumni ("alum-nEYE").

OK, I'm home and my copy of The Iliad (the Fagles translation) says 'E-j&s is based on latin and 'A-j&s is based on greek. In English both are considered correct but long-a is more appropriate when talking about greek myths.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2006, 09:49:52 pm »

OK, I'm home and my copy of The Iliad (the Fagles translation) says 'E-j&s is based on latin and 'A-j&s is based on greek. In English both are considered correct but long-a is more appropriate when talking about greek myths.

Well there you go.. from a source that is way better than me.


Seriously... try it out... say "Hey Q said..." and then say "Hey this researched copy of the Illiad said.." in an Ancient Greek class and see which one gets more approval.

Why I bet you don't even have to do the experiment to come up with a pretty reasonable hypothesis to that even!
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up