Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the French Hate The U.S.  (Read 15318 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Why the French Hate The U.S.
« on: April 23, 2006, 01:20:00 am »

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:36:23 am »

It's not just that I'm sure.  There's gotta be a little sting every time we put some crappy sausage patty at a fast food joint on a Croissant.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:48:13 am »

There's gotta be a little sting every time we put some crappy sausage patty at a fast food joint on a Croissant.

Funny, I feel sorry for the sausage.  Croisanwich, worst idea ever!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 02:12:07 am »

Sausage and cheese on a Dunkin Donuts croissant is pretty unstoppable, if you ask me.  Give or take egg.
Logged
ACHIEVE

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 03:54:39 am »

Weren't they Belgian to begin with, anyway?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Honeycombhideout

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 04:38:44 am »

What is up with this guy?

http://www.fuckfrance.com/

Logged
I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 04:40:15 am »

I don't know, but this has to be another reason to hate the U.S.:



Also, Motorola cameraphones are pretty hateful.

Honeycombhideout

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 04:49:34 am »



I blame Lance Armstrong.
Logged
I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 11:47:39 am »

Looking at that those things I can only assume that france would consider it a favour to no longer be associated with such abuse of the common potatoe.
I don't know though, do the french really hate the US that much? I always just thought the US hated france and so assumed (as they are apt to do with all their enemies, real and assumed) that the feeling is mutual.
The whole US-France thing always conused me anyway, from my superficial knowledge of the two nations histories' you would think they would have more in common than most other countries, they could at least team up and hate the english together.

More towards topic: Freedom fries are the stupidest goddamn idea ever, but you knew that, they seem to me indicative of this general tendency to believe that words are more important than actions.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 12:07:06 pm »

Having been to France almost every year for the past decade, it is easy to see they generally dislike people not from the continent. Most seem to tolerate my French-speaking family, despite us being British, but I have seen on more than one occasion Americans being thrown out of restaurants, being given the finger by youths and one poor soul even got knocked off his bicycle by a car.

On every such instance, the unfortunate tourists were wearing either a baseball cap, T shirt or shorts emblazoned with the stars and stripes, or a I <3 New York type thing. All other Americans were okay in their fairly generic clothing. Of course, they could have just been Canadians. I can't distinguish accents.

In conclusion:
Judy's tips on how to survive in France

1. Don't excessively show off which country you come from. People will think you are a dick.
2. Learn to speak the bloody language.
3. DO NOT GO INTO A TRADITIONAL FRENCH RESTAURANT AND ASK THEM TO MAKE YOU A TRIPLE HAMBURGER IN ENGLISH VERY LOUDLY. (Yes, I saw this happen.)
4. Much like this board, French people may appear hostile, but be nice and they will accept you. Maybe.

So, back on topic, I blame tourists for France's negative perception of the U.S. Toodle pip.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Honeycombhideout

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 12:40:18 pm »

Quote
Don't excessively show off which country you come from. People will think you are a dick.

People will be right. 
Logged
I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 03:50:18 pm »

The French are also pretty racist and nationalist, though.  They fear losing their national identity, since everything they experience in culture comes from somewhere else.  They listen to American and British music, they watch American film and television, they're even wearing fashions out of New York. 

Also, Paris is not France.  I think what people think of when they think of "the French" think of Parisians, which are the worst type of French.  Think of Paris as the Los Angeles of France.  It's not really representative of the rest of the country.   People from Paris even hate other Frenchmen.  They make fun of people from Provence like we would mock hillbillies here.  And of course people from the farming regions are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.  Go figure.

Anyway, I wasn't really remarking on why the Parisians hate the U.S. as much as I was marvelling at what "France" means to the American Culture, which is completely distilled in the Caesars "Paris" Casino (as seen above).

It's like making a papier-mâché pu$$y and titling it "Paris Hilton."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 03:59:56 pm »

Also, Paris is not France.  I think what people think of when they think of "the French" think of Parisians, which are the worst type of French.  Think of Paris as the Los Angeles of France.  It's not really representative of the rest of the country.   People from Paris even hate other Frenchmen.  They make fun of people from Provence like we would mock hillbillies here.  And of course people from the farming regions are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.  Go figure.

My personal experience does not corroborate. We almost always stay in Provence (very rural south of France. Education.) and they are pretty much worse than the Parisians. There is, like you mentioned, a lot of fear about national identity: down South there are a LOT of second homes for greedy English people.

As to asshole-ishness, it is of course all down to one's own experiences, so I will say no more.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Honeycombhideout

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 04:00:57 pm »

Paris is not France.  I think what people think of when they think of "the French" think of Parisians, which are the worst type of French.  Think of Paris as the Los Angeles of France.  It's not really representative of the rest of the country.   People from Paris even hate other Frenchmen.  They make fun of people from Provence like we would mock hillbillies here.  And of course people from the farming regions are the nicest, friendliest people on the planet.  Go figure.

I went to Nice from Paris a few years back and found the people there to be infinitely more personable than their Parisian counterparts.  The first bar I walked into even had a sign over the door that read "Welcome to Our Liberators".  I was all, "Hells yes!  You sort of mean me!"
Logged
I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Why the French Hate The U.S.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 04:03:51 pm »

Yeah, I really like the French, but I'm also very much white.  If you don't look white, or even if you don't look French, you'll find that you're treated much differently there.  Racism in France now is like racism was in the U.S. around 1950.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up