Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pixies reunion  (Read 5069 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« on: September 10, 2003, 06:16:31 pm »

I'll stop dancing around my kitchen in a state of idiotic glee just long enough to post this link:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/03-09/10.shtml

   Yippeeeee!!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Pixies reunion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 07:11:24 pm »

It's been too long.  Don't get excited.  It could really suck.

Look what happened to Janes Addiction.  JUST LOOK AT THEM.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 07:12:22 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
It's been too long.  Don't get excited.  It could really suck.

Look what happened to Janes Addiction.  JUST LOOK AT THEM.


Yes, they lost their apostrophe and everything.  The horror!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Pixies reunion
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 07:57:57 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"

Yes, they lost their apostrophe and everything.  The horror!


*sniggers*
Well, I actually quite like some of Strays. It's certainly nothing compared to the first three, which were phenomenal and classic albums, Nothing's Shocking just being downright seminal!
Pixies, could be scary. Their last album wasn't my favourite (those being Doolittle and Surfer Rosa) but it was still good stuff.
So let's say I'm not getting my hopes up, and I won't be devestated or let down if the new stuff sucks, but there's always hope.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 08:01:03 pm »

Oh, believe me, I fully understand that the dancing around my kitchen could ultimately be the most happiness I get out of this.  Reunions are always a dicey proposition at best.

But they've all grown as musicians in their time away from the band, and if Kim is actually allowed to sing and contribute songs again, I don't see how it could completely suck.  ( And I think that Trompe le Monde is a gigantic tsunami of ass-kick, myself, but I seem to be alone )

The thing about Jane's is: all the great songs that made us love them were written in one huge creative gush before their first album came out, even the good stuff off of Ritual.  And since everything they've done as solo artists was, um, not redolent of goodness, I'm not surprised that there were no hooks on this new album.  

Look, there's never going to be a Replacements reunion, so this is the next best thing.  I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Pixies reunion
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 08:13:08 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"

But they've all grown as musicians in their time away from the band, and if Kim is actually allowed to sing and contribute songs again, I don't see how it could completely suck.  ( And I think that Trompe le Monde is a gigantic tsunami of ass-kick, myself, but I seem to be alone )


Don't get me wrong - Trompe Le Monde is ass kickingness! But when I put one of their albums on, it tends to be Doolittle or Surfer Rosa. Thus I kind of think those must be my favourites.
And yes, if Kim gets her chance again it will be sweet - delightful voice!

Quote from: "Limmo"

The thing about Jane's is: since everything they've done as solo artists was, um, not redolent of goodness, I'm not surprised that there were no hooks on this new album.


Well, I did hear a great bit of Perry Farrell solo - King Z of his last solo album. Some of that album was great actually. Dropped off in general for the second half, but it was way better than I expected.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 05:38:06 am »

I'll bet there is a lady dancing around in her radiator.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Pixies reunion
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 05:44:46 am »

I was offline so I missed most of the threads and am just letting them pass.

I'll just say that a Pixies reunion warms my heart but I'm not expecting much.  I'll still go see them live, though.

And "Trompe le Monde" is my favourite Pixies album, and one of my favourite albums of all time.  I like that Space-Punk sound, I guess.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 05:48:31 am »

Add one more vote for Surfer Rosa, if you please.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Pixies reunion
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 08:04:28 am »

I so much liked "Come On Pilgrim" better than any of their other stuff. However, I did like their other stuff.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 04:41:13 pm »

Quote from: "FeeReep"
I'll bet there is a lady dancing around in her radiator.


Ha, ha!  

Where I come from there's always music in the air and the birds sing a pretty tune!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 04:46:02 pm »

So far, sounds promising.

Anybody know where I can get files of this stuff?  I did a Kazaa search on a friend's computer and found nothing.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Pixies reunion
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 08:39:59 pm »

I've heard the reunion performances have been pretty great but I wouldn't doubt that there's an OMIGOD OMIGOD THE PIXIES element to it.  I'm definitely going to do everything in my power to go see the Toronto show (although that's in November, and my then I'll be here (hurrah!).

And I'm on that team that thinks Trompe le Monde is mediocre by Pixies standards.  Which are, of course, much higher than the standards for regular music.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Pixies reunion
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 08:52:45 pm »

Huh.  Trompe le Monde is my favourite Pixies album, and one of my favourite albums of all time.

It seems to break down that most people who bought them as they came out liked Trompe the best.  Those who came into them post mortem like Bossanova or Surfer Rosa.

All good albums, of course.

So can anyone find those MP3s of the new live stuff?  No luck here on gnutella or eDonkey.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Pixies reunion
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 09:47:26 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
It seems to break down that most people who bought them as they came out liked Trompe the best.  Those who came into them post mortem like Bossanova or Surfer Rosa.

All good albums, of course.


I went to UMASS, so naturally I'm biased.  I thought the common wisdom was that Bossanova was their worst album.

Whatever, it's all water under the bridge now.  I saw them on the Doolittle tour, but I wouldn't mind another shot - as long as it's within driving distance, and not at a festival.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up