Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Money's 50 Best Jobs!  (Read 6821 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« on: April 25, 2006, 12:09:29 am »

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/

Man, information architect isn't even on the list!

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:20:52 am »

Damn, I was certain "No Job" would've been number 1.  Oh well, you can't win 'em all.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

acoxcae

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 314
  • Because I don't have one. Never have.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 12:28:46 am »

I'm number one!  I'm number one!

It seems like such an honor...but, well, it's not.
Logged
this new board has a shitload of buttons.

why are there no zippers?
-thanks ark

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 12:30:55 am »

Yay number 7!  Except.. my salary is nowhere near that.   Well shit...


Maybe if I didn't live in a place with a reasonable annual cost of living.  Hrm...


College professor looks pretty good from here though let me tell you.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 12:37:06 am »

Personell Manager? I can't even fathom how that could possibly be that high. I guess the pay must be high for such a lame position.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:01:27 am »


College professor looks pretty good from here though let me tell you.

WTF?  $81,491?  I could have stayed in my job till I was a hundred and I'd never have gotten anywhere near that, the way things were going. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 01:31:54 am »

Paralegal?  Sure, if you like doing endless amounts of work and not being recognised or paid for it.

Writer?  Bullshit.

How is doctor/physician number 30?  The money more than makes up for the life you sacrifice to get there.

Does it count if my eventual, ideal career is on there (number 35)?
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 01:36:49 am »

Woooo! #37!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 01:42:39 am »

Alright - in 10 years, I might be at #2. Woohoo!
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 02:10:51 am »

# 10!

does "psychiatrist" count as a doctor, or as a psychologist, or what?

although, Med School is like hell. I could probably not deal with it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 02:43:35 am »

# 10!

does "psychiatrist" count as a doctor, or as a psychologist, or what?

although, Med School is like hell. I could probably not deal with it.

I'm assuming a psychiatrist counts as a doctor/physician, since psychiatrists have M.D.s.  Psychologists are not actually medical doctors.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 02:53:45 am »

I'm not on the list.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 03:41:09 am »

How is doctor/physician number 30?  The money more than makes up for the life you sacrifice to get there.

I work for a group of physicians, and a close uncle is a doctor.  It sounds like it isn't what it used to be.  I don't know about my uncle, but all five of the physicians I work for, though very well respected and competent, with growing practices, have salaries that have been declining for at least a few years (rising cost of malpractice insurance, problems with insurance companies, and normal problems with running a small business).  Many doctors, especially in certain fields of practice, live in constant threat of malpractice lawsuits.  It takes a certain kind of person to be happy and successful as a doctor, and it doesn't just take compassion and intelligence.  The money you make and the respect you earn certainly makes up for years of debt and the grinder through which one is put while a medical resident, but I imagine there are drawbacks now that weren't there years ago that makes the job less appealing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 12:12:07 pm »

I work for a group of physicians, and a close uncle is a doctor.  It sounds like it isn't what it used to be.

Same is true for professoring.  It's bizarre that they give it a high grade for not being too stressful.  I assume they only interviewed people who got their jobs 20 years ago - the junior untenured faculty don't have time to waste talking to a magazine!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Money's 50 Best Jobs!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 01:08:19 pm »

Wow, they're... pretty optimistic about science, huh? As compared to most of the stuff I've actually been hearing, which seems to indicate that the NIH grants are running out and the sky is falling.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up