Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...  (Read 10968 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2006, 07:21:32 pm »

paul-- that is the real way. they are just making that shit up.
I hope. I mean... did Junior High go away for a while?

ok, another good question: do you call it "Senior High," or "High School," or what? My dad calls it Senior High, and I am wondering if this is a regional thing (he is from Boston).
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2006, 07:43:37 pm »

I've used Senior High and High School.  They are interchangable.  I think Senior High is going away though because Junior High is now called Middle School.  Also, a lot of highschools around here, or rather in Houston, I forget sometimes that i'm not around Houston right now, are subdivided even further.  A lot of 9th. grade campus's cropping up.  Or they will build a new high school nearby the old one and it'll just be for 11th. and 12 graders and the 9th. and 10th. graders will go to the old school.  Or vice versa.  I don't what you might call that kind of school?  Of course 1st. grade is actually 2nd. grade if you count Kindergarden.  And some kids go to school for a couple of years before that even.  So what grade are you in The Inevitible, 14, 15, 16?

Also, I thought it was pretty clear that I was insinuating that Jough was posing as the 12 year old.

Oh and another thing. I had a brief snippet of a dream last night that involved some of you.  There were probably about 5 or six of us there, all members of this board, dream logic said so even though the only one I can identify was Jough.  We were walking out of a building and I said well Joe (Jough) where are we going now?  Everyone else just gasped... "Joe, I thought his name was Jeff?"  "I thought it was Jefe?"  "Jefe, that's stupid, his name is Jog."  Jough just crossed his arms and grinned.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2006, 08:39:02 pm »

You know, I've spoken on the phone to Jough a couple of times.  He never did say his name -- I was listening for it.  Dang but he's crafty.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2006, 08:52:39 pm »

August, your surname always led me to think you were related to Jough. Clearly, what I don't know could fill Gina's pu$$y. But not quite.

If you are related but of the estranged brothers kind, that would bring a tear to my eye.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2006, 08:54:11 pm »

Same name, no relation.  At least to the best of our knowledge.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2006, 09:03:22 pm »

ok, another good question: do you call it "Senior High," or "High School," or what? My dad calls it Senior High, and I am wondering if this is a regional thing (he is from Boston).

Boston-area students did not call it "senior high" as of the late 90s. That's the best I can help you here.
Logged

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2006, 09:11:05 pm »

Lower School: Kindergarten through 5th Grade
Middle School: 6th Grade through 8th Grade
Upper School: 9th Grade through 12th Grade

This is how it is done at prep school.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2006, 09:30:46 pm »

oh goodness! now I know that there is another school in america that calls it "lower school" and "upper school"

yeah, I was wondering. I thought "isn't jough's last name "dempsey"?" I think I read that somewhere when I lurked here for like 6 months before posting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2006, 09:42:19 pm »

yeah, I was wondering. I thought "isn't jough's last name "dempsey"?"

Here I thought it was "Schmough". 


Oh damn, that was so bad.







so bad...
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2006, 09:49:25 pm »

oh goodness! now I know that there is another school in america that calls it "lower school" and "upper school"

Maybe it's a Southern prep school thing.  Regardless, a high-five from my school to yours!
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2006, 10:47:19 pm »

Well, I went to a Catholic elementary school.  The public schools, when I was a kid, went up to 6th grade, and then the Junior High was 7-9, and then the Senior High was 10-12.  I left Catholic school after 6th grade, which in hindsight was a mistake but at the time felt like FREEDOM.

After my first year of Jr. High (7th grade) it switched over to a middle school, so I only spent two years at the Jr. High and then four years at the high school.

Flip: That one's free.  The next one will cost you.

Also, I am only related to seven other people named Dempsey.  And Mr. AugustWest is not one of them, although I tend to think of him as a long-lost cousin (although not long-lost enough, if you get my meaning).

Also, Paul, I always suspected you dreamt about me.  But now I know for sure.  Cut it out.  You're a fine guy, but I just don't dig you like that.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2006, 01:52:10 am »

I went to catholic schools right through high school. Elementary school ran until the end of grade 8, the four/ five years of high school (it was in Ontario, which had grade 13 at the time). The public school kids across the street did junior high for grades 7 and 8.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2006, 02:19:34 am »

Maybe it's a Southern prep school thing.  Regardless, a high-five from my school to yours!

At my Southern prep school, Lower School was K - 6 and Upper School was 7 - 12.

In one town, where I went to elementary school, Elementary was 1 - 4, Middle School was 5 - 6, Junior High 7 - 8 and High School 9 - 12. 

Then I moved, and Elementary was K - 6, Junior High 7 - 9 and HS 10 - 12.

Whatever.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2006, 04:08:34 am »

Here in Manitoba, for over 10 years now, Grades 9 - 12 are known, on paper at least as Senior 1 - Senior 4, but generally, most people still call them Grades 9-12 - even teachers I talk to every day. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Isn't that thoughtful of Onstad...
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2006, 05:42:09 am »

Where I grew up, waaaaaaaaay Upstate New York, K-6 was "elementary" 7 & 8 were "junior high" and 9 - 12 were "senior high" even though the junior and senior high were in the same building... though eventually, years after I graduated it was rebuilt and separated into a 6 - 8 "middle school" and a 9 - 12 "high school". Though, of course, the local slang resisted the change.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up