Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)  (Read 8891 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 11:38:49 am »

dang.
I meant English.
English teacher.
and she is not a manman.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 05:33:22 pm »

heshe?

sheshe?

mantawomb?

wombtaman?

wombat?

(sorry, I'm working off two days with almost no sleep, and I'm gettin' all zany up in here.  To clairify, the gender of our wombat is not questionable.  She is a sheshe, and that is that.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 05:41:41 pm »

(sorry, I'm working off two days with almost no sleep, and I'm gettin' all zany up in here.  To clairify, the gender of our wombat is not questionable.  She is a sheshe, and that is that.)

Don't you mean that is thatthat?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 06:44:44 pm »

At first you'll likely think WTF, D00D? but then slowly you'll start to think "What the fuck, dude?"

This is the best book review I ever read.  I wish I could give you 4100 cans.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 06:58:45 pm »

This is the best book review I ever read.  I wish I could give you 4100 cans.

Agreed.  It quite literally made me "LOL."
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 07:03:33 pm »

This is the best book review I ever read.  I wish I could give you 4100 cans.

Now you can!

ASK ME HOW

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2006, 07:21:42 pm »

Okay, so here's the lengthier post I promised earlier.  I know you were all waiting for it, biting your nails and quivering with anticipation. 

Anyway, since I am something of a literature snob (despite not being very well read; I am high-minded without the credibility is basically what I'm saying), I plan to read as many "classics" as I can get my hands on this summer, in between my job and internship.  Emphasis will most likely be placed on Russian literature.  I received a copy of Gogol's short stories for my birthday, so that is first on my list.  Works to tentatively read (Russian and otherwise) include those of George Eliot, Edith Wharton, Thomas Hardy, Dante, Milton, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Kafka, and Joyce.

I doubt I'll get very far, unfortunately.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 07:24:29 pm »

Works to tentatively read (Russian and otherwise) include those of George Eliot, Edith Wharton, Thomas Hardy, Dante, Milton, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Kafka, and Joyce.

I doubt I'll get very far, unfortunately.

Allow me to summarize. Ahem:

Some people were sad, and some people died, and some people were so sad that they died.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2006, 07:57:22 pm »

Great!  Now that we've taken care of that we can read Douglas Adams and John leCarre instead!  What a relief. Thanks, Mite!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 08:09:58 pm »

On a more serious note:  If you want to read Dante, I recommend taking a class.  I think you need someone to give you a ton of background to get anything out of it. Anyway that's why you're paying good money to the college, to have someone explain stuff like Dante to you.

Out of that list, at one point I actually read almost all of Thomas Hardy of my own volition.  But the rest of it... well, the first book I ever in my life checked out of the library and didn't finish was Kafka.  And we will leave the rest to a respectful silence.  Good luck.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 08:35:06 pm »

Kafka is my very personal deity.  Sometimes I speak to him late at night.  I wish I were joking.


Joyce is also very very high on list of heroes.


I have a new poetic xlation of Dante's Inferno (not the whole Divine Comedy mind) and while it certainly amuses in ways, I never really fully enjoyed it because most of it's imagination is based on a mythology I suppose.

Still though being buried upside down IS pretty funny.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 09:48:24 pm »

If you are into turn-of-the century Big American Cities (Chicago) Historical Events (the 1893 World's Fair) famous architects and architecture (Daniel Burnham) and murder (The real-life mass murderer H.H. Holmes) then you realy ought to read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

I guess that's the book for me. Or at least it was a couple of years ago, right when I finished the Jimmy Corrigan graphic novel and became all obsessed with the Chicago World Fair and everything. I might pick that obsession up again.


If you're interested in one about events (like the molasses flood) instead of things (like the cod book, which I read but am not left with a strong impression of), the most compelling piece of that sort of nonfiction I've read in fairly recent years was The Circus Fire by Stewart O'Nan.  Depressing of course though with like dead burnt children and stuff, don't say I didn't warn you.

Right now I'm halfway through The Fall of Berlin 1945. Which is as far into the nonfiction-depressing-events category as I can go. And I mean depressing. Dead burnt children? How about refugee women trying to nurse their dead frozen babies?
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2006, 09:49:38 pm »

Kafka is my very personal deity.  Sometimes I speak to him late at night.  I wish I were joking.


Joyce is also very very high on list of heroes.

Well, you know I am reading both at your recommendation.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »

Well, you know I am reading both at your recommendation.

Well, I am rather bright and cute as a button.


(Although, also a Sick Fuck; so.. you know.. grain of salt and all that.)
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 10:16:52 pm »

(Although, also a Sick Fuck; so.. you know.. grain of salt and all that.)

Surely 'pinch?'

I saw Dostoevsky up above. Has anyone read Crime and Punishment? I am expecting a resounding YES, and I would like to hear your opinions on it.

('Cos to be truthful, I never enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Maybe I'm just too young for that sort of thing. I can always try later.) (Not talking about sex)

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up