Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)  (Read 8893 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2006, 10:21:30 pm »

Kafka is my very personal deity.  Sometimes I speak to him late at night.  I wish I were joking.

I don't know if Salman Rushdie's gotten much play here, but the feel of his writing is somewhat similar. It does make a bit more sense generally, but takes the same kind of literal-absurdist angle. I particularly liked Grimus, which is not the critics' favourite but feels a bit more sci-fi than his later stuff.
Logged

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2006, 10:42:50 pm »

I saw Dostoevsky up above. Has anyone read Crime and Punishment? I am expecting a resounding YES, and I would like to hear your opinions on it.

Yup. It's real good. Skip the epilogue; you'll feel much better. Though I liked The Brothers Karamazov better. If only he could write believable women, they'd be perfect.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2006, 11:04:52 pm »

Yup. It's real good. Skip the epilogue; you'll feel much better. Though I liked The Brothers Karamazov better. If only he could write believable women, they'd be perfect.

I haven't even MET that many believable women.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2006, 11:36:02 pm »

I don't know if Salman Rushdie's gotten much play here, but the feel of his writing is somewhat similar. It does make a bit more sense generally, but takes the same kind of literal-absurdist angle. I particularly liked Grimus, which is not the critics' favourite but feels a bit more sci-fi than his later stuff.

Really?  I've read a good portion of Midnight's Children, and I don't see it at all.  It felt more like Garcia Marquez to me.

Second the love for Dostoevsky and Joyce.  Kafka, well...  I started out college (and ended high school) as a fan.  In fact, he's why I studied German in the first place.  But now, meh.  I still have yet to finish any of his novels, though some of his shorter fiction is among my favorite.

I loved Crime and Punishment and the Brothers Karamazov, but probably the latter better.  Demons is also excellent, even though I haven't finished it.

As far as Joyce goes, I never got very far into Ulysses, and have only read passages from Finnegan's Wake.  But the first chapter of A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man is one of my favorite works of fiction ever (the rest of the book is amazing too).  Dubliners is also great.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2006, 11:41:14 pm »

For the record I think the short Kafka stories are okay, but by far pale in comparison to The Trial.  Ulysses is something I read every year without fail.  (It has gotten a lot easier now that I do not need to read as many annotations to get some of the underlying stuff.)

Also concur on the first chapter of Portrait..  dammit people.. I'm trying to finish Catch 22 here... you are all tempting me.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2006, 12:01:50 am »

Really?  I've read a good portion of Midnight's Children, and I don't see it at all.  It felt more like Garcia Marquez to me.

That's one I haven't read. I think it comes across more in Grimus (particularly), The Satanic Verses, possibly Shame.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2006, 03:00:23 am »

I love Kafka.  I've read everything he's written.

Also, the Trial is a damn good movie.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2006, 03:09:39 am »

Also, the Trial is a damn good movie.

Second that, anyone who hasn't seen it needs to.  One of Orson Wells' better works.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2006, 03:38:00 am »

Well, I'm a Joyce scholar from way back.  I too read U every year. 

I was introduced to Kafka by Frank Zappa, who suggested listening to a song of his (on Lumpy Gravy?) while reading "In a Penal Colony."

HOWEVER

With Kafka, I can only read the English translation by the husband and wife team.  Muir?  Other translations just seem WRONG to me.

Also, of course, if you're going to read Ulysses, you have to read Gabler's edition.  The others are just... uncivilised.

And if you're interested in Joyce, there's a web site that you may find interesting.  Yes, I know it hasn't been updated since 2002, but the books haven't been updated in longer than that, so it's all good.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: so... what're y'all reading? (new for a new age!)
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2006, 05:25:03 am »

Speaking of Kafka, any of you know Bruno Schulz? Jewish writer from Poland, shot dead by a Gestapo officer in the Drohobycz ghetto in 1942. My favorite author forever and ever. I don't usually go for those "x meets y" kind of definitions, but in this case the "Proust meets Kafka" tag that's usually attached to him makes sense. At least based on the little Proust and Kafka that I know...
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up