Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006  (Read 14569 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

They must have some weird school programming in Ray's old days.  Ours just told us about condoms and aids.  Damn Democrats (end sarcasim).  Good to see he went ahead and got the Keith Moon head and the large laser as well.  To bad Keith's eyes are closed, he does look happy though.
 
Ray is going to save the day again.  I kind of forgot he was semi-responsible for all of this, what with burning some bowls, making some omelettes and watching Braveheart.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:17:08 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 08:40:35 am »

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know if what you're saying means anything.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 08:57:17 am »

I am a huge fan of the fact that... there was no screwing around with this one, you know?

No insinuation, no slow-burn storyline, no dropping hints for something that will pop up in weeks:

Ray sees Insane Things he can buy on Rich People's eBay and the next strip, he is flying Airwolf and the disembodied head looks quite delighted. He flies Airwolf straight on 'til morning, directly into where it is needed for the plot.

Onstad seems to have figured out an interesting way to follow up the GOF... doing things the exact opposite way but just as well.

Airwolf is faster than any jet, Ray spends money like a rummy drinks wine purchased at Big Lots, the sky is blue, water is wet and all is right in the world.

It is as if the comic strip Achewood itself, not the artist, not the characters, not even the website but the comic strip itself is saying "Happy May Day, Comrades. May The Struggle Continue Proudly and You With It."

P.S. The concept of something shipping "Same-Day Airwolf" is pretty much the funniest thing ever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 09:00:58 am »


It is as if the comic strip Achewood itself, not the artist, not the characters, not even the website but the comic strip itself is saying "Happy May Day, Comrades. May The Struggle Continue Proudly and You With It."




That is probably the best review of a comic I have ever heard in my life.  Thank you, good sir.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 09:32:51 am »

I don't know, this strip is cool but I wouldn't say it's anything special: Ray is being obscenely rich, Teodore is confused by the way Ray interacts with the world and there is a head in a jar. If I were less of a drooling nonety of a fan I might comment that it is a bit cheap to use Ray's unfathomable richness as a deus ex mechina for every situation, but actually like the bizzare ways the 'Stad comes up with for giving Ray what he needs in a given situation so really it's all good.
Although the interaction "'A pretty bad problem actually.' 'Awesome.'" is great but isn't as obvious because you have to go down a row to get it.

On an unrelated note, did you last two guys come in together or is the baseball thing just co-incidental? I see mets has 50 posts under his belt so I guess that doesn't necessarily qualify as a recent newb but it's an odd co-incidence to see the mets referenced twice one after another. That said I am in a country that knows nothing of your 'bases ball' so I guess it's more likely to catch my eye but means nothing to you, the same way people in my country like to use screen names based on our favourite marsupial crocodile wranglers.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:57:57 am »

I have Airwolf. This is not code language. I am flying Airwolf because I own Airwolf.

Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:54:45 am »

On an unrelated note, did you last two guys come in together or is the baseball thing just co-incidental? I see mets has 50 posts under his belt so I guess that doesn't necessarily qualify as a recent newb but it's an odd co-incidence to see the mets referenced twice one after another. That said I am in a country that knows nothing of your 'bases ball' so I guess it's more likely to catch my eye but means nothing to you, the same way people in my country like to use screen names based on our favourite marsupial crocodile wranglers.

Yea, I noticed that too.  Keith Hernandez was this awesome first baseman that played for the mets and cardinals, did a lot of cocaine and appeared on Seinfeld.  I would have said something, but didn't want to be one of those people that acts like their username, if that makes sense.  With that said, the Mets are my favorite NL team, and Hernandez is probably one of the coolest ballplayers ever. 

I decided to use this name for many reasons:

1 He just said something stupid as broadcaster for the Mets.  It was a sexist remark that got him negative public reaction

2 This is the year the mets win it all.

3 Cocaine is a good drug

4 The Seinfeld episode he was in was on a couple days ago.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 11:21:04 am »

Is it wrong to have laughed at this one? Because I did laugh. A great bourbon-scented wheezing chortle with all the weight of a misspent youth upon it.

I had previously been of the opinion that Phillippe, having finally achieved his dream (however briefly) of becoming a cute and friendly despot, was indeed lost to the inky depths, his coffin a nonbiodegradable testament to one of the worst libations on god's grey earth. It all seemed rather heavy to me and was not really making the amusement.

Now the cat who wears a thong and sunglasses shows up flying Airwolf. The cat who decided last week that a helicopter might be a good idea but he wasn't really sure shows up flying Airwolf. This brings with it the most delicious probablilities, ranging from the classic Wacky Rescue Attempt to the flaming and horrible deaths of virtually the entire main cast of the comic strip.

But possibilites alone do not make for a hearty phlegm-clearing chuckle. No, that came at seeing the Head of Keith Moon's Delighted Expression. Truth in advertising on eBay? Funny!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:49:54 am by Bimmicus »
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 11:29:46 am »

jesus people what is Airwolf?


also: "mom! the dang ol' eyes closed!"
"ray, you know it said that would happen! don't complain now, young man."
"yes ma'am... *walks away* shucks."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 11:32:23 am »

Whether this is a way of ending the storyline ASAP, an excuse to branch out and draw things other than cars, or just normal happenings in the Acheniverse, I heartily approve.

I mean, you gotta love the box with " 3' " hiding in the lower corner of the last panel. There is no better deus ex machina than Keith Moon's head and the world's biggest laser.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 11:41:03 am »

Man oh man... lasers... it'll be all p'tou p'tou.


All scorched earth style.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 11:47:17 am »

Correct thread title.  Thank you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 11:49:14 am »

Correct thread title.  Thank you.

Was there any other way?


I just noticed that Ray responds to Teodor's problem with awesome, just so he can show off his new toy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:53:00 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 12:58:43 pm »

where is Stringfellow Hawk? Did he not come with Airwolf? Ray should've at least gotten a cardboard cutout of him or something.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 01:20:43 pm »

There is no part of this strip that is not perfect: the drawings of the ePR items, Ray's conversation with Teodor, the concept of watching a video in sixth grade just about the transfer station, the phrase "same-day Airwolf," all of it. This strip truly is THE BEST THING ONSTAD GOT. A++++ would read again.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up