Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006  (Read 14579 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 05:01:15 pm »

Highlights:
  • "I'm not sure what you mean.  I don't know if what you're saying means anything."  (This pretty much sums up what it must be like to be friends and carry on a conversation with Ray.)
  • "Nothing else I could say would make more sense given what I own and what I am doing at this moment."
  • "A pretty bad problem, actually." / "Awesome."
  • That Video in the Sixth Grade, because apparently the Transfer Station is bad enough that it needs its own warning video in the style of films about STDs and drugs and driving while intoxicated.
  • Téodor's face as he reacts to the mighty FLUP-ing of Airwolf
  • Keith Moon's delighted expression; this is what really sold the strip for me.

Thank you, Onstad, for today's free entertainment.  I heartily approve.


Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 05:12:38 pm »

"I have Airwolf" almost sounds like an admission of STD. The question, though, is what kind.

The only kind you are proud to have. 

"DUDE SWEET I GOT AIRWOLF!"

"Fuckin AIRWOLF dude!"


That's also a rule, airwolf is an adjective now.
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 05:15:25 pm »

The only kind you are proud to have. 

"DUDE SWEET I GOT AIRWOLF!"

"Fuckin AIRWOLF dude!"


That's also a rule, airwolf is an adjective now.

"I totally met this girl the other night and it was gettin' hot and heavy.. you're never gonna believe.."
"No way man, don't tell me she did airwolf?!"
"Damn straight man.. airwolf was on till the break of dawn."
"Bro.. you are so lucky!"


Man.. that's like... I dunno.. Fraternity Brother Theatre or something.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 05:18:18 pm »

Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 05:44:26 pm »

I don't like how Platinum Reserve goods are delivered within hours.  Makes it less special.  I would pay extra just to have stuff delivered a little more slowly.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Jeepers

  • Guest
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 07:57:15 pm »

I found the source picture. He did an amazing job translating that to comic form.

Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 08:30:41 pm »

Yes, that's why Jesus invented Adobe Illustrator's "Live Trace" feature.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 08:46:36 pm »

How could you not love that face.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2006, 09:17:22 pm »

On an unrelated note, did you last two guys come in together or is the baseball thing just co-incidental?

I have no connection with Keith previous to being a poster on this board recently... but early spring is when each of us seem to have joined and baseball starts then, so... its not such a reach that two Americans joining in the early spring might have baseball on their minds.

In my case, the Little Falls Mets were a minor league baseball team in the town I grew up in, in northern New York State... until they moved to Western MA when I was nine. They were the lowest level affiliate of the New York Mets, the team where Keith's namesake attained his greatest succees, so yeah, that's a little bit of a coincedence but not a huge one. Said namesake has been in the news lately, anyway, for commenting that he considered the San Diego club inappropriate for having one of their on-the-field doctors, such as working in the dugout and the lockerroom during play, being a woman.

My affection for my hometown's former team is more metaphoric than just sporting, however, as... you have to understand... there were 6,000 people where I grew up, it was kind of an Insane Idea to put a professional sports team (even in the lowest minors) in a town that small in history as late as the late 1970s. Towns of 50,000 were considered small for that level of baseball, even then, and thirty years later, towns of 100,000 are smallish for that. It's crazy that we had a pro ball team for two seconds, let alone eleven years, nine of which were the formative years of my life.

They were literally the only thing to do on summer nights, going to those games, and even the players sort of couldn't believe that they were actually playing there, in this little town where there were more cows than people... that these 18 or 19 year old kids from the Deep South or suburban Los Angeles, a year or two of playing a children's game away from being millionaires living in Manhattan skyscrapers, sleeping on piles of loose women and tightly-packed cocaine... were in this town for four months of the summer, whatever it meant.

It was a weird kind of magic, that something so Big City and Important could be happening in a place known primarily for cheese, paper mills and the majority of the population being on public assistance. It was Strictly Impossible but here it was, from middle of June to middle of September, we were Somewhere and Someones. Everyone has an aunt or an older sister that were so unbelievably impressed by the idea that they... uh... got to service these strange fellows who had a half a shot at being Rich Men and Gods.

And then, just as I was getting old enough to really understand how Weird and Amazing this situation was, a larger small town lost THEIR team and a rich man from there bought ours and moved it there... and in the middle of the night in the winter, the magic disappeared and our sense of being Important and Special disappeared like candy floss in a sunburst of rain. Like it had never been there at all, maybe we just imagined it.

Anyway, I didn't mean to write a book here, just saying, my screenname's origin is just sort of my personal symbolism for mouring the longshots and celebrating outrageous fortunes in life, it sorta... encapsulates the funny sadness of life to me, even as I live in Los Angeles trying to make it in entertainment (a longer shot than becoming a New York Met from being a Little Falls Met, that's for sure) with my little hoarde of baseball pennants and cards and pins and programmes, trying to remind myself that it Did Happen and so on, that Big Pointless Miracles can be just around the corner and et cetera.

As for baseball, the key is to imagine cricket...except awesome.

But you probably knew this. You're the Doc, Doc.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2006, 09:26:27 pm »

In my case, the Little Falls Mets were a minor league baseball team in the town I grew up in, in northern New York State... until they moved to Western MA when I was nine.

That must be Pittsfield.  I went to a game there some years ago.  Great little old ballpark. 
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2006, 10:15:48 pm »

As for baseball, the key is to imagine cricket...except awesome.

I am so full of rage with that statement! So here is one of my own:

As for baseball, the key is to imagine rounders... except modified for big, macho men so they don't feel embarrassed playing it. Also, made a lot more boring. (Admittedly, there is nothing much more boring than cricket.)

See also American football as compared to rugby.

I am not saying this simply out of moronic national pride. Honest.

Anyway, awesome comic. It... is a perfect Keith Moon's head. Astonishingly perfect. If it was up for sale, I'd rob a bank for it.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2006, 10:26:41 pm »

Somehow Applicable

Is Beef still stuck in a poop loop?

A Poop Loop!

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2006, 10:32:36 pm »

That must be Pittsfield.  I went to a game there some years ago.  Great little old ballpark.

Yep. And they pretty much only stayed there long enough for the Mets to build a ballpark in Brooklyn and move the team there. This is sort of an important thing to understand how crazy it was that we had a team. In the '80s, we were a town in a league where the towns were, like, 30-60,000... such as Utica and Watertown and St. Catherines, Ontario. The Mets moved to Pittsfield, a town in that range, and within a decade, they were moved to... Brooklyn, which has a million people.

It's a league now wherein the two "biggest" teams represent two bouroughs of New York f'in City. Albany, the state capital and a metro area of 400,000 people is now one of the "small" teams, so small that they don't even call it "Albany" they call it "Tri-Cities" for "Albany-Schenectady-Troy".

Still, here's the thing about being a New York Mets fan. In the Northeast, you can be a Yankees fan, a Mets fan or a Red Sox fan.

To be a Red Sox fan is to be a self-flagellant, enjoying the pain of almost always failing by just an inch... digging on it, making it your personality, the sick pride of always being stepped on and almost feeling betrayed by success because you're not so special anymore.

To be a Yankees fan is to be completely obsessed with being The Best, to the point of not caring to understand any of the minutae of anything, only caring that you're destroying everyone else and... when you're not... being bewildered by it, as though up was down and in was out, to the point where you're asking why God has forsaken you.

And then there's being a Mets fan. The Buddha's Middle Path. Mediocre, just enough to not quite be in the playoff race, most of the time... some of the games are exciting, some are awful, a few stars, a few goats, the whole range of the experience and... every once in a while, every five ten fifteen years, they get it together enough to be the Best or quite near it. And that's nice but you sort of have the full view of the experience because you've spent the last ten years dealing with the depth and breadth of the experience of being So-So.

It's a balanced healthy kinda fan experience.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2006, 10:38:43 pm »

Should we retitle this thread "Why Little Falls Mets loves the Mets?"
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2006, 10:47:56 pm »

I'm sorry, I just can't let this go.



P.S. notice the couch
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:02:46 pm by Bimmicus »
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up