Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006  (Read 14588 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2006, 02:49:30 am »

What is a Philly and/or a Met? Without ever having scene either I'm going to guess that they're just guys with baseballs for heads. LAME! Or possibly the Met is a tiny art museum that wanders around the sidelines in which case I'll allow it.

Oh man, that would be brilliant.  But unfortunately...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2006, 04:13:52 am »

I don't like how Platinum Reserve goods are delivered within hours.  Makes it less special.  I would pay extra just to have stuff delivered a little more slowly.

At this level, the market demands non-linear value.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2006, 04:19:23 am »

My dad is from Boston, so I have been a Red Sox fan for the last 20 years.

So you become a fan of the Red Sox the year they were embarrassed unforgivably by the Mets, then several years later become a Mets fan, while remaining a Red Sox fan?  There's something weird going on here.  But, you're a Mets fan, so you're OK.

I'm a Mets fan, and will be going to Shea Stadium to see the Mets play for the first time ever on August 19th.  I can't wait. 

I'm also a Mariners fan.  So, like you, I have double the reason to hate the Yankees.

Anyway, I'm not troubled by the quickness of the shipping, but how did Ray pay for all this stuff?  You can't possibly paypal $27,300,000.  I bet he has an American Express black card.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2006, 05:00:30 am »

I would concur, though, that I would be hell of interested in the story of your year in pro baseball... though, of course, I'm still new enough here to not quite know if going that far afield of On-Topic would be kosher or not.

I've never known anyone who actually got some time in where they were paid to play ball, even the practically-a-stipend you got in Rookie Ball. Kinda like how I'm not gonna call myself A Writer until someone pays me, until then I'm just an f'n hobbyist, you know? Let alone as a ballplayer... closest I'd ever get to pro ball would'a been people paying to laugh at me, embarassing myself in the Sherman Oaks batting cages.

A 6'6 320 pound man taking the slow pitch in on the fists over and over again because he has no coordination is The Saddest Thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2006, 07:15:46 am »

Yeah, Ash, I asked for that story too. Before you started threatening the shankings and such.

Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2006, 02:23:38 pm »

Anyway, I'm not troubled by the quickness of the shipping, but how did Ray pay for all this stuff?  You can't possibly paypal $27,300,000.  I bet he has an American Express black card.

You see, if you or I put 'WHAT'S THE BEST THING YOU GOT' into Paypal it wouldn't really do us anygood.  But they already knew Ray was a multimilionaire based on earlier purchases (i.e. John Lennon's Rickenbacker) so they unlocked that option for him.  All he had to do is find it.  When you are that rich, the president of the bank is on speed dial.  "Hey I just spent 30 million on e-bay, can you handle the payment."  "Of course Mr. Smuckles, right away sir."

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2006, 02:28:03 pm »

Keith Hernandez was this awesome first baseman that played for the mets and cardinals, did a lot of cocaine and appeared on Seinfeld. 

Keith Hernandez also played for the Cleveland Indians.  Let's not forget that.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hernake01.shtml
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2006, 09:57:53 pm »

When you are that rich, the president of the bank is on speed dial.

When you are that rich, the president of the bank is you.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2006, 11:06:31 pm »

When you are that rich, the president of the bank is you.

Ray saying "non-trivial" as though he had just heard the word on a law-advice radio show and decided to try and use it at least once that day is... one of those little ways where the distinct dialogue for these characters is so good. It's not a lot of comic strips where you can tell when a character using slightly out-of-character phrasings means that they're trying to sound different that day and not a sloppiness in that day's writing.

In spoken words, you can so clearly denote that through tone that... like... it's almost over-the-top to do so... but to do it in bare text with no signifiers, that's something else entirely. No smilies needed, you know?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't they show you that video in the sixth grade?- 1 May 2006
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2006, 12:45:55 am »

So you become a fan of the Red Sox the year they were embarrassed unforgivably by the Mets, then several years later become a Mets fan, while remaining a Red Sox fan?  There's something weird going on here.  But, you're a Mets fan, so you're OK.



I am not a true Mets fan, they just have hell of cool players, so I like them now.  I may be becoming more of a Mets fan than a Sox fan slowly though, which scares me.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up