Great story, Ash. Sounds like you got all of the good stuff you could possibly get out of such an experience. I'm a bit jealous, tell the truth.
Swinehund, I totally agree with everything you say. Hated sports, never thought I was good at them, so didn't try too much (well, that's a lie, I beat myself up pretty badly when I was in about the 6th grade for sucking - though not enough to really practice).
Unfortunately, I've got some weird problem with my calves now. I was hoping to run the peachtree road race this summer, but I can't do much more than a mile without my calves cramping up and hurting for days. Any sports people know anything about that? Do I just need a new pair of shoes? I've been icing them and working on my form for months, and it just doesn't go away.
The Inevitable - Join your local Y, go and lift 3 times a week, and watch the guys (or gals) who seem to know what they're doing and copy them. They'll probably be more than happy to help you out, too. Go high weight, low reps, and lift to exhaustion (meaning you use enough weight to do 8 reps but not 9, then rest for a minute and do that 2 more times). Don't cheat and try to lift anything using your back if you're not supposed to use your back. Don't hog the equipment. You'll hurt like hell for a week, and then you'll feel awesome. God I love weightlifting.