Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: May 3, 2006: POUF  (Read 8023 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

evan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
    • http://www.i-got-problems.com
May 3, 2006: POUF
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:26:26 am »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05032006

Not sure I get it... was the missle a dream or is Ray just in shock from having blown up Phillipe? Did Teodor push Ray out of Airwolf in the last panel?
Logged

Mr. Chord

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 24
  • Cheshire smirk
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:40:19 am »

I think Ray's in shock (at having possibly blown his otter pal to bits), and Teodor just moved him to switch places.

Hm - I think Ray passed out, as well. You normally don't say "wake up" to someone in shock, but then again, you do say it to folks daydreaming or just plain out of it.

Or maybe Ray was replaced with a dummy, and the helicopter's a prop, and this is all some odd Cartilage Head performance being pulled on Teodor.
Logged
---

I had to get out of there. I took the stairs.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:44:42 am »

Yea, but what does the last panel (or frame, I dont know the proper word.  Regardless, the part about the painted styrofoam) mean.  I don't get it.

The alt-text means it is real, I think.  Nielsen would have made a better computer. 



Ray has to have some type of sleep deprivation by now as well.  He probably ordered Airwolf, then went to go pick it up right away.


« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 08:53:08 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 06:53:16 am »

Teodor's reaction to the explosion (the movement lines about his ears, the shocked eyebrows) suggest that it "happened" but... if Ray's whole headset was fake, how could he give the voice commands in the first place?

That suggests that he's hallucinating or at-least zoning out into his imagination because, as it was established in an earlier strip, the cat is clearly cheeched. Or, I suppose, doing the opposite of fugeing. The rare anti-fuge.

I got nothin'.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 07:05:37 am »

That suggests that he's hallucinating or at-least zoning out into his imagination because, as it was established in an earlier strip, the cat is clearly cheeched. Or, I suppose, doing the opposite of fugeing. The rare anti-fuge.

He has been known to hallucinate when he is too stoned.


How would he know about Philippe?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:11:48 am »

Airwolf can hear you just fine without a mic. Ray just thought he really should have a headset.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 07:13:40 am »

The cat in the thong is wearing a pretend headset.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 08:28:41 am »

Yeah, I thought set-up at first but I think the discs are really just because Ray can get ripped off even on Platinum Reserve. Either Phillipe really is dead (which would be kind of cool, he'd get to go hang with Blister) or the missile, like the headsets, are fake because Airwolf is a prop FROM A TV SHOW. Ray just hasn't picked up on this yet.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 08:51:24 am »

And the prize for needless complicating of an otherwise straightforward web comic goes to...

Logged

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:30:31 am »

And the prize for needless complicating of an otherwise straightforward web comic goes to...

Oh come on... this was never an otherwise straightforward web comic.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

cellardoor

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 282
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 11:07:44 am »

Missile fired, cat in catatonic shock at killing young otter, Bear discovers headset is non-functioning prop.

Come on people!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 11:30:52 am »

I am not so sure what is going on here.
I suspect phillipe will pop up in a few panels, saying "what just knocked? did something knock?"

or some other thing.

he will get so excited about getting a ride ina  real helicopter. they will never explain to him that they thought they killed him.

POUF is not the sound of something exploding.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

mrdna1

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
    • five-six
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 11:38:01 am »

And the prize for needless complicating of an otherwise straightforward web comic goes to...
Here, I made a simplified version just for you:
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 11:39:12 am »

Pure awesome.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: May 3, 2006: POUF
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 11:42:54 am »

Here, I made a simplified version just for you:

yeah, this doth win

As for the comic, I don't really know what's going on. I mean I saw what happened, but I don't know what is going on.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up