Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Top Bands  (Read 25784 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 09:13:11 pm »

not in any order, real or imaginary:

The Feelies
The Doors
the beatles
REM
My Bloody Valentine
Slint
Nirvana
Beat Happening
The Flaming Lips
Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Velvet Underground
Pixies
The Stooges
Built to Spill
Weezer (shut up, you!)
Fugazi
Jimi Hendrix
The Replacements
Sonic Youth

beyond this, I'm not sure. it really changes with the mood I'm in, what I'm listening to at the time, etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 10:02:43 pm »

25. Meat Beat Manifesto (Only because Subliminal Sandwich is so fuck*ng good it makes me weep like a baby)
This made me have to listen to my one MBM song that I own for reference. And I must say that She's Unreal (alternate mix 3) isn't really producing any tears so I'm going to assume that it's no representative of their work.
Logged

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 10:09:34 pm »

This made me have to listen to my one MBM song that I own for reference. And I must say that She's Unreal (alternate mix 3) isn't really producing any tears so I'm going to assume that it's no representative of their work.

The first disc of Subliminal Sandwich is AMAZING (it's a collective experience though, you have to listen from beginning to end.)  Let me know if you would like to be provided as such.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2006, 02:39:29 am »


Keith, you've been cool up to this point, but you turned to shit when you called Wombat a Jerk.

~Paul

Yea, sorry it was the heat of the moment.  It will go away.  I am going on 30 hours of no sleep now, and at that point it was about 20 hours and writing a very frustrating 13 page paper.  Not that it is an excuse.  Being pretty young it is just amazing to me that someone would have not heard of  Neutral Milk Hotel.  They are a fairly big indie band, or however you describe it.  One of the few original bands that the United States has had in the last 10 years.

Anyway, I just picked up two Tim Buckley albums, and even though I just finished the first I am pretty sure he is going to be a keeper.


The Feelies.

You, sir, are a god amongst men.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 02:45:47 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2006, 02:50:56 am »

the feelies is a band which is guaranteed to make people impressed.
bonus: I really like them a lot.
it's funny, because I first heard them when I was starting to write songs on guitar. And I read their allmusic page, and said "hmm... the beatles, the doors, and the velvet underground? they're going to be pretty good."
and then their music sounded like a better version of the songs I was writing. Spastic, fast, and trebley,with layered rhythm guitars. often the only dynamic is "slowly speeding up"

it was pretty exciting when I realized that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 03:02:42 am »

I had a subliminal sandwich once, but when I was finished I didn't remember eating it.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2006, 03:52:58 am »

I had a subliminal sandwich once, but when I was finished I didn't remember eating it.

So all the sudden you were full and didn't know why?
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2006, 11:24:10 am »

Flip: Exactly.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2006, 01:24:02 pm »

the feelies... their allmusic page, and said "hmm... the beatles, the doors, and the velvet underground? they're going to be pretty good."

When is my disc coming.  Did I IM you the inevitable?  I can't remember.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2006, 07:31:01 pm »

I gotta see if I can pull this off...definately gotta cheat a little.

1. Rocket From the Crypt/Drive Like Jehu/Hot Snakes/etc
2. Stevie Wonder
3. Fugazi
4. Soundgarden
5. Dinosaur Jr.
6. The Clash
7. Steely Dan
8. Ween
9. The Who
10. Naked Raygun
11. You Am I
12. The Afghan Whigs
13. Seaweed
14. Explosions in the Sky
15. Aretha Franklin
16. At The Drive In/Mars Volta/Sparta
17. Minus the Bear/Sharks Keep Moving
18. Riddle of Steel
19. Les Savy Fav
20. Radiohead
21. David Bowie
22. aMinature/Mirroramerica
23. Miles Davis
24. Led Zeppelin
25. Jawbox/Burning Airlines

Okay, I can probably live with that for now. Prone to change with a stiff breeze, or with the sudden realization of a glaring omission.

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2006, 07:40:10 pm »

Wire are one of those bands that do that to people I suppose. I'd recommend Pink Flag or On Returning (another best of).

If you do not like Pink Flag, then you can probably pretty safely say you don't like Wire.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2006, 07:47:03 pm »

rocket from the crypt are not the same as rocket from the tombs, right?

paul: I have not yet made a mix cd. But now it is friday, and so hopefully I can get a tracklist done.

to answer your question, however: no, you have not PM'ed me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2006, 07:51:25 pm »

rocket from the crypt are not the same as rocket from the tombs, right?

No, about 15 years later...the name is definatley a homage, play a roll in the influence...

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2006, 08:09:13 pm »


2. Stevie Wonder

15. Aretha Franklin


Two great ones!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2006, 11:36:44 pm »

This is pretty difficult to rank within the 25 but I'll try it. I guess I tend to lean towards either proggy stuff or "hard folk" stuff, at the end of the day.

Definite Top 5, not in order:

The Beatles/Harrison/Lennon
King Crimson/Fripp/Belew
Weird Al Yankovic
Guns N Roses
David Bowie

The Next Ten, not in order:

Elliott Smith
Steely Dan/Fagen
Ben Folds/Five
The Eels/DJ Honky
Wilco/Tweedy
Smashing Pumpkins
Neil Young
Tom Waits
Frank Zappa
Pink Floyd/Waters

The next ten bands I could think of that I like a good deal:

Hayden
Nine Inch Nails
Moxy Fruvous
Stone Temple Pilot/Weiland
Soul Asylum
Flaming Lips
Brian Eno
Blur
Beck
Queen
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up