... but Weird Al in the top 5?
Dunno what to say... I really love Weird Al. I love comedy music and I love tight musicianship and... like... say what you will about Weird Al but often in the songs he parodies, the instrumentation is much better technically than that which he mocks.
Which is mind-blowingly awesome to me, as most other comedy rock is done with... you know... a guy strumming an acoustic guitar for one take or three teenagers in a bathroom with two Casios. The notable exceptions of Fruvous and TMBG, of course.
The guy's original work, the style parodies that don't directly parody any song, rather a band's entire work or an entire genre... they tend to be flawlessly written. The guy also puts on one of the best live shows ever,
seriously.
This is going to sound laden with pretense but you sort of can't appreciate Weird Al without sitting down and, like, listening to his whole body of work and realizing how well he does at a genre that's much easier to do poorly than "regular" music but also might be harder to do well than "regular" music. Writing funny words to songs and still making them work perfectly musically is a lot harder than it seems... and making a whole song work after you've got the funny version of the chorus but you have to make the verses pay off? Deeply difficult.
Sort of like in television or film writing, where writing bad comedy is the easiest thing in the world, much easier than writing bad drama but writing great comedy is much harder than writing great drama.
As for Blur... well... generally, yeah, the Britpop was generally panned but Blur was the only one of them (in my opinion) that actually had songwriting and instrumental talent, that were trying to do anything more than make money off updating early Beatles stuff for the post-grunge whatever-it-was scene, like Oasis, say.
Blur is regarded differently because Blur was actually good, is I guess what I'm saying.
Jesus, though, just 25 bands is so hard. I feel like crap leaving off... the aforementioned TMBG... Clapton, Hendrix, Zepplin, Lou Reed... Air... NIN keeps wanting to flip with Zappa into the Next Ten, Steely Dan keeps wanting to flip with Bowie into the Top Five... I feel like I've got ten children and I gotta pick which three I leave my enheritance to.
Even though all I seem to be able to leave them is a sentence ending in a preposition.