Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Top Bands  (Read 25778 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2006, 08:41:23 pm »

I have Blackberry Belle, and I have just about all the Whigs albums.  Blackberry Belle has its moments, but end-to-end it's not as strong as any Whigs record, IMO.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2006, 08:42:33 pm »

it didn't quite have that much of a slight ominous undercurrent that Milk of Human Kindness had.

I do like the sound of 'ominous undercurrent'.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2006, 08:43:46 pm »

hm.

yeah, I say that I love Neutral Milk Hotel, but it's really just a few songs.
hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2006, 08:52:56 pm »

hm.

yeah, I say that I love Neutral Milk Hotel, but it's really just a few songs.
hm.

For shame!  Every song is glorious.

To be fair, it took me a few careful listens to realise this.  I suggest trying again until you learn to love it.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2006, 08:54:57 pm »

I suggest trying again until you learn to love it.

Isn't this like the S&M form of music appreciation or somesuch?
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

Hobot

  • DISK ONE OF SIX
  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 21
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 861
  • Appearing in a tortilla near you.
    • View Profile
    • Your music is inadequate.
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2006, 09:49:12 pm »

Isn't this like the S&M form of music appreciation or somesuch?

Music is a harsh mistress.
Logged
You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2006, 09:59:14 pm »

Music is a harsh mistress.


...Hot.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2006, 10:02:15 pm »

Music is a harsh mistress.

...and true.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2006, 10:09:28 pm »

*slaps hobot*
for shame!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2006, 10:12:56 pm »

inevitable, congratulations on finishing high-school, but do not gloat: I finish compulsory education next week! Unfortunately, the hardest is still to come. I am taking A levels.

Education is pretty awful, but you are finished. Go get sloshed.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2006, 11:35:36 pm »

I have Blackberry Belle, and I have just about all the Whigs albums.  Blackberry Belle has its moments, but end-to-end it's not as strong as any Whigs record, IMO.

Well, perhaps I'm biased 'cause the friend introduced me to Twilight Singers first, so I bought that album before I ever touched the Whigs stuff.  Black Love is great though... the only other I have is 1965 which was just alright.  tell me what I should get next?  the friend thinks 'Gentlemen' would be too harsh for me, but I'm not really sure what that means.. ahah.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2006, 12:11:25 am »

no way, sloshed is not OK.

I will, however, indulge in pretending that I am the kind of guy who would get his bone on with this girl. who blatantly wants to "get on my cock."
in the end, I won't. But I'll pretend to be debating it, you know, to feel like a rebel.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2006, 01:28:44 am »

tell me what I should get next?  the friend thinks 'Gentlemen' would be too harsh for me, but I'm not really sure what that means.. ahah.

"Congregation" is probably my second favorite after "Black Love." 

"Gentlemen" contains the wicked sexy "My Curse."  That album is even heavier on the abusive relationship themes than their other records.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2006, 02:35:34 am »

"Congregation" is probably my second favorite after "Black Love." 

"Gentlemen" contains the wicked sexy "My Curse."  That album is even heavier on the abusive relationship themes than their other records.

Hm.. okay, I'll download Congregation this weekend and see what I think.
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2006, 04:34:10 pm »

I do have all the Afghan Whigs albums, I think the only one that can pretty safely be skipped is the first, Up In It, and even that one is worth having if you like the rest.

I can see where starlight's friend is coming from on Gentlemen, compared to what's on your list, it's pretty heavy. But I don't think you should write it off, it's an amazing album, and the intensity is genuine and merited.

That being said, I completely agree with Carlos, depending on what mood I'm in, Congregation is my second or first favorite Whigs album. It's a different sound, though, from the last two. It came out on Sub Pop, while Sub Pop was still Sub Pop, the production value is far lower, but the rawness works for them, makes them sound even darker and more soulful than they already are.

eMusic had Blackberry Belle, downloaded it this weekend. Definately the best post-Whigs stuff I've heard, but yeah, not quite there, it's missing Curley (whos current band isn't worth listening to, sadly.)

Also, can dig on being burnt out on post rock since TEINACDP, and Caspian doesn't have nearly the composition chops Explosions have (for my dollar, no one does), but they put together a pretty solid, dynamic album.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up