Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Top Bands  (Read 25741 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2006, 09:02:17 pm »

Okay, I finally listened to Congregation last night... it does have the same dulli sound, but less compression.. perhaps that's based on when it was made though, but seriously, the last two Twilight Singers albums (Amber Headlights / Powder Burns; not sure if it's out yet but a friend demanded I download it and eek.. only two songs didn't make me cringe and even then I don't get the urge to listen too often) lost their charm due to over compression to the point of cheesiness.  I saw a bit of a similarity to the Twlight Singers stuff when compared to 1965, but perhaps that's due to it being the last Whigs album.

I still say the first two Twilight Singers albums and well, the covers one to a small degree are very good since it wasn't as over the top crazy.  I did hear Amber Headlights was supposed to come out before Blackberry Belle did, but something tragic happened which put a hold on it; think someone died?  I listened to a podcast around the time that album came out, but hell if I remember.

Anyway, on Congregation, the best songs upon first listen were: Turn on the Water, Dedicate It, The Temple, and Milez is Dead.
Perhaps I'll get brave and find Gentlemen next; I mean, if it's really too intense, I can just delete it.. hah.

---

Also, on the post rock tip.. weirdly, my cousin ordered me a Godspeed album for my bday.. I just got it the other day.  I count Godspeed in with where post rock started yet I never had their best album (Lift Your Skinny Fists..) though I did have a live in osaka, japan bootleg with a good bunch of them and now I do.  hurrah!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2006, 09:03:56 pm »

Anyway, on Congregation, the best songs upon first listen were: Turn on the Water, Dedicate It, The Temple, and Milez is Dead.

"Conjure Me."  RrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ock
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Roger

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 22
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 311
  • Who watches the smiling fries?
    • View Profile
    • http://www.last.fm/user/rogermarmo/
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2006, 09:25:37 pm »

I was introduced to the Whigs when Gentlemen came out, like a billion years ago, and was instantly hooked. But I only "got" them when they did that cover version of "Can't Get Enough of Your Love Baby". Then the whole "dark soul music" thing everyone talked about made sense to me.
Logged
Gabba Gabba Hegel!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2006, 11:50:46 pm »

"Conjure Me."  RrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ock

Well, they all rock -- those are just the ones I remembered the tune to when going down the list before posting ;D
The second listen was even better!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake

Emmoh

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
    • Shameless
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2006, 04:33:35 am »

Okay, I finally listened to Congregation last night... it does have the same dulli sound, but less compression.. perhaps that's based on when it was made though, but seriously, the last two Twilight Singers albums (Amber Headlights / Powder Burns; not sure if it's out yet but a friend demanded I download it and eek.. only two songs didn't make me cringe and even then I don't get the urge to listen too often) lost their charm due to over compression to the point of cheesiness.  I saw a bit of a similarity to the Twlight Singers stuff when compared to 1965, but perhaps that's due to it being the last Whigs album.

The new Twilight Singers album is not out, but I looked up some of the mp3's floating around, thought they sounded alright. I'll bet dollar to donuts that among the three songs I listened to, one or both of the two that didn't make you cringe are in there. I just saw they're playing a late show here Friday, and between diggin' on Blackberry Belle and the minor Whigs kick this thread has me on, I think I'm goin to roll in...see if they's still got it.

Quote
Also, on the post rock tip.. weirdly, my cousin ordered me a Godspeed album for my bday.. I just got it the other day.  I count Godspeed in with where post rock started yet I never had their best album (Lift Your Skinny Fists..) though I did have a live in osaka, japan bootleg with a good bunch of them and now I do.  hurrah!

I'm a fan of Godspeed, I still think I prefer Tortoise, but that could be because I'm such a Chicago Homer.

But I only "got" them when they did that cover version of "Can't Get Enough of Your Love Baby".

Good call!

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Re: 25 Top Bands
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2006, 10:37:07 pm »

I'll bet dollar to donuts that among the three songs I listened to, one or both of the two that didn't make you cringe are in there.

If 'Bonnie Brae' and the title track were in there then yep...
Some others were just okay as background music but bored me after awhile.

Quote
I'm a fan of Godspeed, I still think I prefer Tortoise, but that could be because I'm such a Chicago Homer.

I think of Tortoise on a different level than Godspeed and other post rock... they're more jazzy to me.  TNT is one of my fav. albums though.. can't believe I forgot them on my list.. hah!
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up