Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)  (Read 11338 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 01:35:38 am »

I have to take a little umbrage at being categorized along with people even I think are a little crazy.

Where did this happen?  Are we not allowed to make fun of the radicals just because you're in the mainstream?  Where did we say all Christians are crazy?

Maybe attacking the messenger isn't the right tactic to take here.  The wackos are the ones saying the crazy stuff.  We're just pointing it out and laughing.  If they're exposing your faith to ridicule perhaps you should take it up with them.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 01:43:49 am »

People need to talk to the Wackos for sure, be they Islamic or Christian or what have you.

Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 01:56:45 am »

I'm just gonna say, if this guy was a Jew saying not only that the banana is evidence of God's intent, but calling it "atheists' worst nightmare" and acting like his revelations about the banana were going to demolish all atheism, he would be equally hilarious to me.

Without those assertions, it would just be kind of amusing in a "stoned guy has a revelation about the world" kind of way. "Hey, man, did you ever notice.. the banana fits your hand perfectly. 'Sgotta mean something, dude."
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 03:05:37 am »

I'm seconding Wombat here. Play nice, everyone.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2006, 03:11:37 am »

"Hey, man, did you ever notice.. the banana fits your hand perfectly. 'Sgotta mean something, dude."

Yeah, it means that early primates ate those bananas that fit into their hands, and did not eat the ones that didn't, and thus when they pooped seeds the ones they selected continued to live.

If anything, the banana's qualities make an argument for evolution and natural selection, not intelligent design.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2006, 03:14:00 am »

There's also the fact that, for every easy-to-eat ergonomic fruit like a banana, you've got twenty plants in nature with fruit that's poisonous, painful, or otherwise poorly designed for humans. Why would the same God who designed a banana design a pineapple? Sadism? Was it, in fact, Satan?
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2006, 03:18:32 am »

It's tiered effort-based rewards like in an MMOG. You've got your basic tasty banana for n00bs or casual gamers who can only invest a small portion of their time in your game, but for those really willing to work at it and solve your puzzles, they get rewarded with delicious pineapple and coconut. Of course, eventually the spoiler gets out and everyone's eating pineapple, coconut, or delicious tropical cocktails thereof.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2006, 03:22:26 am »

It's tiered effort-based rewards like in an MMOG. You've got your basic tasty banana for n00bs or casual gamers who can only invest a small portion of their time in your game, but for those really willing to work at it and solve your puzzles, they get rewarded with delicious pineapple and coconut. Of course, eventually the spoiler gets out and everyone's eating pineapple, coconut, or delicious tropical cocktails thereof.

Nice theory, but bananas are delicious too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2006, 03:26:16 am »

Nice theory, but bananas are delicious too.

Well, yes. You have delicious items at all levels of skill, and the advanced players get their choice.
Logged

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2006, 03:56:52 am »

I DELETED THIS PART BECAUSE APPARENTLY THE DISCUSSION WAS GOING ON IN THE THREAD ABOUT THE GODSMACK INTERVIEW BULLSHIT STUFF.

---

2nd edit-
also 'dawg is cool and i try not to be an asshole even though i fail.

---

Nice theory, but bananas are delicious too.

no, they aren't.  they are, they are the ANTITHESIS of delicious.

they are the very model of a modern major general in the army of ICKYFOODIA.

bananas fuck*ng suck in every way, shape or form and i can not comprehend a manner in which they do not.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 04:03:40 am by arkabee »
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2006, 08:17:17 pm »

I got a little redassed along the way, and I think It's because of the thread title which hit me the wrong way after having a headache for two and half days and then taking medicine which was supposed to make me not dizzy but instead made me drowsy and gave me blurred vision.

I don't like bananas either. I think the line of reasoning that culminates in intelligent design and starts from the banana is predicated on the idea that everything in the world is geared specifically toward mankind succeeding - I don't think we have any direct proof that God's intent was that specific - and, that theory suffers from what V points out - that there are a million things that kill humans on this planet too.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2006, 08:56:39 pm »

ok, so, speaking of things that kill people:

reading Heart of Darkness, the following occured to me: is it possible that the reason that Europe and parts of Asia were so much more advanced is that they're easier to live in? Africa is terrifying. There are so many natural predators for humans, diseases, etc. On the other hand, Europe, and countries like China and Japan are relatively free of things that eat people. The biggest problem in Europe was most likely climate-- which required innovation to overcome it.

does this make sense? am I explaining this enough?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2006, 09:06:27 pm »

Theinevitable is not afraid of bears.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2006, 09:29:32 pm »

ok, so, speaking of things that kill people:

reading Heart of Darkness, the following occured to me: is it possible that the reason that Europe and parts of Asia were so much more advanced is that they're easier to live in? Africa is terrifying. There are so many natural predators for humans, diseases, etc. On the other hand, Europe, and countries like China and Japan are relatively free of things that eat people. The biggest problem in Europe was most likely climate-- which required innovation to overcome it.

does this make sense? am I explaining this enough?

I think farming is a pretty big contributory factor to the 'advanced' state of an area. In Western Europe, by all standards an 'advanced' place, there is predominantly very good farming land. On the other hand, the Middle East and Asia Minor in general have very fertile farming land, but are not so advanced. But in history, these were affluent places which were certainly more advanced than the tribes of the West. Same goes for North Africa: while today that area may seem slightly backward despite the good farming land (on or near the coast, at least), in the past they were the crux of both the highly advanced Carthaginian and Egyptian states. (Though the Nile is a pretty big factor in Egypt's case, and let us not forget that the Romans sowed salt into the earth around the city of Carthage, rendering great swathes of land in North Africa unfarmable.)

And as for the USA (quite advanced I guess), another interesting factor comes in. The plains in the U.S were once almost impossible to farm and live on; I'm sure most are familiar with the stories of pioneers with no wood, poor soil, very harsh weather, and so forth. But because of things such as the government encouragement and the 'Manifest Destiny' people persevered and 'tamed' the plains for farming, and in turn the newly-fertile soils of America helped feed its people and propel it to the forefront of the world's nations.

As for places like Japan, as far as I know it is a hard place to farm: very mountainous and so forth. But rice is pretty much a great thing to grow if you can, so maybe farming does play a part there. Hmmmm.

And then we have Africa: not an easy place to farm, or hunt for that matter. It is not hard to see why they have had a hard time being as 'advanced' as us. Though of course, 'advanced' can mean a lot of things.

If you read all of that, thankyou. If you can correct me on some of the unfounded statements I have made, thankyou further.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I don't want to mock anyone's beliefs (not openly)
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2006, 09:37:11 pm »

yeah, also, native americans didn't have any beasts of burden.

and yeah, I thought about bears. but... they're just bears.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up