Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The not so religious man... (09-11-03)  (Read 5219 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The not so religious man... (09-11-03)
« on: September 11, 2003, 11:08:27 am »

For some reason I totally got hooked on the line "You stay here by this ugly plant".
It just had a throwaway surrealty that I liked. I mean, are we ever going to see the ugly plant again?
Hell, at least Ray was being diplomatic about the late 19th century while he was there. He's a good guy at heart, as we always knew.

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:10:46 am by Nabubrush »
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 01:30:20 pm »

I actually thought the same thing as Slink - it's like in any movie where seemingly unimportant information is given - you totally know it's going to figure in later.  Whenever it's mentioned off-hand that a character has asthma in a movie like in "Signs" or "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" it always turns out to be a major plot point later.  

Also, that plant comes straight out of a Dali painting.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 04:37:47 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
I'm glad to hear I'm the only one who found it necessary to pause in order to study the 'ugly plant'.  Although I truly think 'stad is screwing with the reader by offering this convention and then never revisiting it.

fuxor.


How do you know he'll never revisit it? ARE YOU FROM THE FUTURE? *trembles in fear*
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 05:45:40 pm »

I cracked at the ugly plant, finished the strip while laughing, and didn't stop laughing for about a minute.  I'm still laughing now.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 05:46:53 pm »

I know what you mean.  But Nice Pete came back, so who knows?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

beverly

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 05:47:51 pm »

Alright, maybe more like 5 minutes -- it's a hearty laugh, too.  Now that that's settled, I'm going to take that next-morning poo.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
The not so religious man...
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 08:26:13 pm »

Yes, indeed, we need more ugly plant all up ons. It's kind of funny and kind of sad, sort of like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, but more weighted towards the funny.

Now, the question comes in: will Ray save the Dumbwaiter However-Many from the rent-a-cops?
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The not so religious man...
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 08:59:13 pm »

I thought the ugly plant was funny, but only because I thought it came from Onstad drawing a plant, not being satisfied with the drawing, and then putting in a self-deprecating barb in there as a joke.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
The not so religious man...
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 09:01:39 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"

Now, the question comes in: will Ray save the Dumbwaiter However-Many from the rent-a-cops?


I'm thinking he's sent the Harman Kardons cops home, and he's going to do something very/semi nasty to the boys in the dumbwaiter.
But on the other hand, I thought Beef had phoned him. Maybe it was his answer phone. I can't remember.
We'll see I guess.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The not so religious man...
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 09:08:07 pm »

Yeah, Beef left a message on the phone.  Which I suppose would be the phone in the house where they were?  Or maybe Ray's cell phone?

I was a little confused about whom Beef was calling if they were already *in* Ray's house and knew he wasn't home.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 10:16:05 pm »

Theories:

Beef called Ray's cell. But his battery died while in the past because it was desperately searching for a signal.

Telling him to wait by the ugly plant just totally fits Ray's personality.

When he finds out it was the guys, Ray will pretend he knew all along.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 01:17:33 am »

On a different tangent, it appears that Lyle and I are the only people left who still carry Palm III's.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
The not so religious man...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 01:56:39 am »

Its a t-shirt gimmick. Perhaps this time the plant will impregnate Phillipe.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The not so religious man...
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 02:24:12 am »

Man, that would be a rad shirt.
Logged
goose means greedy

V-Adore

  • Guest
The not so religious man...
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 02:51:03 am »

I would buy an "Ugly Plant" shirt.

Quote from: "FeeReep"
Perhaps this time the plant will impregnate Phillipe.

Now this is a creepy thought. (Given the physics of Achewood, I have to wonder if Philippe and Petunia's child is ever going to show up. You never know.)
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up