Man, I kind of hate public transportation. The bus makes me want to put a bullet in my mouth, I haven't set foot on one since I started driving.
When I have to go into the city, I usually drive to the subway. The subway is alright, it looks spooky and has musicians playing sometimes. Some stations have interesting kinds of art, little bronze sculptures, mosaics. Years ago it used to be serious hoboland, but Rudy Guiliani gassed them all. Plus, if the undercover police don't see you, you can drink a flask on the trains without getting a summons.
It's pretty slow at night, but it's always an adventure. You know, actually, sometimes taking the subway is incredibly surreal. Sometimes you see some pretty weird shit. And if you're alone, at the end of the trip you realize that there is basically no way to discern whether the things you've seen were real or hallucinations. Like for instance, one time I saw this huge dude, probably mildly schizophrenic, wandering around the platform, singing to himself, staring people in the eyes, and no one was reacting to him. Probably because he was extremely spooky and intimidating, but the ride was done, there was no way to ever tell whether or not he actually existed.
It was a pretty long wait for a train - probably 2AM or so, always slow at that time - and he came up to me exposing his lazy eye and he pointed towards the tunnel. "I heard dey started a fire on da tracks. Das'stupid 'cause if you do that shit, you know ya gonna get caught." And then he paced away to go stare at some other people.
If you are accompanied by other people, they're always like, "Yeah, I saw that too," and just totally shit all over your fun. Subway adventures are always much better ridin' dolo.