Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like to golf?  (Read 5513 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Do you like to golf?
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:51:29 pm »

I plan on playing much golf this spring/summer/fall.

I've played at least a par 3 course at least once every year since very small times.

After taking my last final of the semester today, I bought two nice maduros and went down to the driving range with a buddy to celebrate his 21st birthday.  I hate those rubber tees, though, I can't find it possible to drive off a rubber tee that is two inches tall.
Logged
ACHIEVE

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:24:54 pm »

I do!

I didn't for a long time, but every spring, when the sun comes out, everyone else in the office would disappear to the course for an afternoon each week.

I didn't golf, so I didn't bother going.   Eventually I realized, they were off being paid to play golf, and I was sitting at a computer for 4 hours.

The set of clubs quickly paid for themselves.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 11:31:37 pm »

I have a love/hate relationship with the particular game of golf.

for every good shot, I hit 5 bad ones. It's like a drug though, I keep chasing those good shots. It's like a nightmare while I'm doing it but good memories afterward.

It's like being in an abusive relationship.

I love golf even though it hurts me sometimes. It'll change, I know it will, if I just love it enough.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 01:33:00 am »

My name is August West and I'm a recovering golfer.

What Dawg said pretty much applies to me too.

I played as often as I could (usually 1 - 2 a month, occasionally more) for 10 years.  Those (oh so rare) good shots kept be coming back.  But it nearly impossible to improve unless you're playing regularly, say at least once a week.

About two years ago I decided that golf was no longer worth the time, frustration and money I was investing in it.  So I made a conscious decision to quit.  I still play once or twice a year.  My inlaws have a family scramble, and if somebody I like asks me, I'll play.  But I don't go out on my own anymore and I don't set up games with friends.

Oddly enough though, I've felt strangely drawn to the golf course recently.  Maybe I'll go out one day soon.  Who knows?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:45:10 am »

we live on a golf course.
my dad used to dream about living by a golf course.
now his back is crap, and if he plays he's in pain for weeks.
so he never plays.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:50:37 am »

The Saddest Thing.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 05:35:53 pm »

That's irony.

Does he have disk problems? I can't think of anything worse than the twisting and swinging motion of golf for disk problems.

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:12 pm »

I'm not completely sure what is wrong with his back. I mean, I don't think golf was really a big passion or anything, but he'd always wanted to get into it.

it also might have to do with an old shoulder injury.

this is the injury that happens when you dislocate your shoulder in a basketball game, and put it back in by yourself.
and then keep playing in the basketball game.
he is 50 today! I got him the new Neal Young record.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 04:20:18 am »


OK, whip out your golf dicks:

Best handicap - 7.3
Current - 14.7

I play full length courses and post ALL cards.

Clearly you have the big swingin' member in this crowd.  A 7 handicap?  Damn!  That means you broke 80 on a regular basis at some point.  That's serious bidness.

If I started playing once or twice I week, I think I could be in the 90s by the end of the summer.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 06:53:10 am »

OK, whip out your golf dicks:

Umm, I once shot a four on a par four...
Logged
ACHIEVE

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 03:24:54 pm »

I totally hit par on a hole once.

Once.

My boss almost killed me once, too.   I was standing behind him, he drove, and the ball went directly 180 degrees from where he expected it to go.   At that particular instant, I was down on one knee, tying my shoe.   The ball did this amazing tight arc right over me.

I didn't even realize what had happened until I heard it knock into the bench off to my side.   When I looked up, the rest of the foursome was gaping at me.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 03:37:50 pm »

I birdied a Par 3 once.  Once.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

misterqueue

  • Sick Fuck
  • VIP
  • R I S O T T O ?
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2011
  • I can do anything I want. And so can you.
    • View Profile
    • A Reason for Diseasin'
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 03:41:48 pm »

I birdied a Par 3 once.  Once.

Since I know nothing of sports that sounds vaguely hot.

Are high fives in order?  Did she like it?

these are the things one thinks when they browse threads they really have no business being in.  I'm sorry, please do continue with your thing here folks.
Logged
So it's satire, is it?  Well that changes everything!

Lockjaw is serious times.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »

I'd have too much to live up to to even try golf. My uncle is crazy-active golfer and my cousin actually had a PGA card for a year after placing in some national tournament. I'd just end up hurting myself and/or the grass.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like to golf?
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 05:43:24 pm »

I birdied a Par 3 once.  Once.

I almost birdied a par three once by totally overhitting the drive (with a 1-iron! I actually had a 1-iron). It hit a tree dead center 30 yards behind the hole and bounced back to within 3" of the cup.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up