Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Poll

What's it going to be?

Coffee
- 19 (51.4%)
Tea
- 12 (32.4%)
Tacos
- 6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 36


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?  (Read 19547 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 05:22:53 pm »

No joke, coffee makes me flip out.  I actually have what you would call "a reaction" - I become aggressive, paranoid, jittery and jumpy, and can basically not function as a human being.  It's something that's happened to me over the past two years, which is strange, because I used to drink so much coffee.  I used to drink it, and then just, take a nap, or whatever.

I drink teas, but not herbal tea.

I have a puffergiraffe tea pot.  It is awesome.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 05:38:39 pm »

Nothing beats the Bunn-O-Matic drip.  It makes the water VERY hot (this is important) and also brews the pot in about 3 minutes (the faster the water passes through the coffee, the better.

I like about six scoops (of beans) of coffee for 10-12 cups.  Those bags from the coffee services are pretty well measured out, although grinding your own beans is really the only way to go.

Also, even shitty Maxwell House coffee tastes pretty good when made in one of those huge urns that brews 3-4 gallons at a time (the urns tend to be percolators too).

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 08:05:56 pm »

It's something that's happened to me over the past two years, which is strange, because I used to drink so much coffee.  I used to drink it, and then just, take a nap, or whatever.

Yeah, my mother is like this -- she'll have a cup of coffee before going to bed. (How that works neurochemically, I have no idea.) The SO apparently used to drink soda to help him go to sleep, which troubles me to no end, because that implies you've managed to fuck up those receptors but good.

Cort, I think you're totally off-base on coffee but exactly right on sauerkraut, which I have not been able to eat since a lazy afternoon in my youth when I was subjected to the smell of it cooking. Holy CRAP nothing has ever smelled worse. I imagine that, when death comes, it will smell like cooking sauerkraut.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 08:09:09 pm »

I like all three, but the coffee is the essential one. I will often have tea a few hours after the necessary morning cup of coffee. Tacos are taken much more infrequently.

I have tried going without coffee for two weeks, and I survived, but then I gave in again and realized that I was just much happier in the mornings if they involved coffee. I know this is sort of a problem.

I really enjoy the coffee black (I would drink a lot of it if I could tolerate that much caffeine anymore), but I also love sauerkraut, ripe belgian beers, straight gin, and 99% chocolate. Not dirt, though. I don't like eating dirt.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 08:10:31 pm »

Not dirt, though. I don't like eating dirt.

Sadly, I have known exceptions to this rule, most infamously in the "someone leaves a bunch of those gimmick Harry Potter jellybeans out in the common room, Sean eats an earthworm one, realizes that it tastes like earthworms, and eats the rest" incident.
Logged

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 08:14:56 pm »

Sadly, I have known exceptions to this rule, most infamously in the "someone leaves a bunch of those gimmick Harry Potter jellybeans out in the common room, Sean eats an earthworm one, realizes that it tastes like earthworms, and eats the rest" incident.

Now I have eaten sandwiches made from sauerkraut, sriracha, and cheez whiz, but that is disgusting.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 08:35:11 pm »

I imagine that, when death comes, it will smell like cooking sauerkraut.

Wow. That means that death smells exactly like New Year's Day. That's oddly poetic.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 12:49:55 am »

I like coffee.  Black.  The key to discerning good coffee from bad coffee is to drink it black.  Putting milk into coffee is crazy, the taste goes away.

The best is expresso, I have this stovetop expresso maker which is a ton of fun.  If it comes out too strong, throw in a few drops of sambucca and salut!

Tea is alright with some honey.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 01:16:05 am »

ok, I lied.

because once I had coffee that was so good that I wanted to die.

it was in italy.
I later remembered that they had told us never to drink italian coffee, unless we had a high tolerance for caffeine-- italian "coffee" is espresso.
well, I drank a big ol' mug. it was amazing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 05:38:12 pm »

ok, I lied.

because once I had coffee that was so good that I wanted to die.

it was in italy.
I later remembered that they had told us never to drink italian coffee, unless we had a high tolerance for caffeine-- italian "coffee" is espresso.
well, I drank a big ol' mug. it was amazing.

Espresso is served in little tiny cups. You probably had coffee. (A big mug of espresso would probably give you a heart attack).  The better Italian restaurants serve really good Italian coffee here, and stupid people get it and won't drink it because the oil from the really good beans rises to the top.

Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 07:00:36 pm »

The best coffee I've ever had was at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.  Full of flavor without being the tiniest bit bitter.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2006, 07:53:10 pm »

Ooh, who's had the Ethiopian coffee ceremony from the restaurant? Of course Ethopian beans made the regular way are quite good, but this is something else. While you're eating, they roast the beans so that they are very dark, and bring them out for you to smell. Then after dinner's over, they bring it out in a weird pot. It's made sort of like turkish coffee, with the grounds very fine and left in the pot. It's very dark, but surprisingly mellow and smooth. Even if you don't normally like black coffee, you may enjoy this black. They often bring out a little brazier with some frankincense and some popcorn or something too.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 08:16:18 pm »

yeah, actually, hm. I was aware that espresso was normally served in tiny cups... but... I don't know.
maybe it was just coffee that was so much better than the coffee I'd had that it tasted like an entirely different substance.

the other great story: they had one of those coffee vending machines. and I hit the button for "1 cup", then "con chocolate", 2 sugars, etc.
I said "this is the best coffee I've ever had! good lord!"
it was hot chocolate.
they mocked me. mercilessly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2006, 01:07:47 am »

If I remember my Italian teacher correctly, it would pretty common to be served an entire cup of expresso in Italy.  Also, if you order coffee, you get expresso by default.

I'm 80% sure about that, but I could be wrong.  I have forgotten all the Italian I learned in those three years, so I suppose that info could be skewed as well.
Logged
ACHIEVE

swinehund

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 140
  • you cannot defeat me, I wear the mask of vulcan
    • View Profile
    • blaagh
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2006, 01:13:20 am »

I got the impression that most european coffee was made more 'americano' style, as in fresh but  dilute espresso. Practically everywhere I got it it was made this way, even at the norwegian 7-11. It was also very good.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up