Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Poll

What's it going to be?

Coffee
- 19 (51.4%)
Tea
- 12 (32.4%)
Tacos
- 6 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 36


Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?  (Read 19608 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2007, 03:17:42 pm »


I'm a little nervous about trying kim chee though.


Kim chee is delicious.  I heartily endorse kim chee.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2007, 03:34:07 pm »

Don't fear kim chee.  Its just like pickles, except peppery.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2007, 10:13:50 pm »

Well, perhaps. I do like sauerkraut a lot, and kim chee is just spicy sauerkraut, basically, right? I'm a little wussy about spicy food though. Sometimes I love it and other times it's like torture. There's a Thai place here I love, and even though I request the same level of "heat" on my noodles (two stars on a 0-4 scale), sometimes it's too hot for me. Other times it's divine. I suppose it depends on which cook they've got on that night.

Still, their Thai iced tea is spectacularly delicious and cooling, so when the food is too hot, I just enjoy more tea.


Et voila! Back on topic. *bows*
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2007, 12:38:48 am »

My family is English and I was raised in the American South, which I believe are the two premier tea-drinking cultures on the planet, and yet I never touch the stuff.  I have had jasmine tea from China before, which was lovely, but I'm not sure if that qualified as actual tea with tea leaves or if it is in fact just a teaesque plant infusion of some kind.  In either case, it still doesn't make sense to me as a beverage.  It tasted good, but I didn't really feel refreshed.  You couldn't wash down a meal with something like that.

I am also completely incapable of drinking coffee.  I don't really mind the taste, but I get so little caffeine I can get a buzz from eating Hershey's Special Dark, so coffee is just plain dangerous.  I've never had a whole cup before, but I did once take a single No-Doz during an all-nighter (supposedly the equivalent of one cup of coffee).  I felt like I was on speed for the next thirty-odd hours.  It was horrifying.  I'm sure if I started drinking it regularly I could build up a tolerance, but that seems to defeat the purpose.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2007, 05:32:47 am »

Interesting.

I once ate a half a bottle of No-Doze and... all that really happened was I got REALLY mad during a screening of "Something About Mary". I have a younger cousin with Down's and so, like, I was just not having any of the jokes about the mentally impaired.

I left in a big jittery huff and then walked off the high by doing a circle of my college campus.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2007, 06:36:13 am »

Ah, yes, those kind of walks can be quite fun.

When my doctor first prescribed Adderall for me he gave a recommended dosage of anywhere from half a tablet to two whole tablets.  I was supposed to adjust the dosage to "feel out" what the ideal amount was for me.  I took two tablets the very next night.

Finding myself unable to think in complete sentences, I decided to step outside and walk around the block "to clear my head."  I left my house at about 9 o'clock in the evening and returned at half past midnight, having meandered two miles north to the local shopping mall and back.  It had closed before I even set out, but I didn't care.  I felt like Magellan.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2007, 07:15:19 am »

man. You have hell of sensitivity. I once took twice my dosage by mistake for like a week, and all that happened is I got a headache and had trouble sleeping.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2007, 07:57:40 am »

I just got a ritalin prescription a week or two ago, and when I took it for the first time it felt like being assimilated by the borg.  My thoughts were running around like happy free children in a field, and then the ritalin tractor beam came and picked them up and carried them, kicking and screaming, to their boxes.  "No!" they clamored, "I was thinking about something!  I'm not done!"  To no avail.  Once they were all boxed up in neat little rows they looked up at me, saying, "So Alternate, what do you want us to do now?"  It was really creepy.  I was like, "What?  You guys want to obey me?  But you never do that.  Shouldn't you be out running in circles and breaking things, or something?" 

The other weird thing is that the world looked different.  Normally everything looks kind of trippy to me, everything looks like there's more to it than meets the eye, everything looks like it has potential.  Normally when I walk down the hall I always stop and look at things and go, "Man!  Have you seen the curve of this pipe!  Look at how it cuuuurves... and oh man look at the shadows in that corner, they remind me of a cave in a rainforest or something.  Like a place where ichthyosaurs would live, if they lived in caves.  Hey, we should go to that museum with the ichthyosaur skeleton, that place is awesome..."  But on ritalin I walked into my office, and it basically looked like a room with desks and chairs.  It never looks that way.  And when I was walking to class there were about five occasions when I thought something like, "Hmm, that pipe looks interesting- ah well.  Better get to class."
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2007, 08:13:43 am »

I get hella issues when I drink coffee or strong tea now. I spent much of my teenage years doing questionable drugs, and now am left with a cup of coffee, similarly, making me feel like I've dropped a wrap of speed. My head feels that way, and I start to get hallucinations - flashes of light, and various images I take to be things in my peripheral vision. Therefore, when I have to drink it for the caffeine, if I need to stay awake, it doesn't exactly let me be particularly useful.
I did hear that by ditching the first cup of tea from a bag you wash like, 90% of the caffeine out of it, and since I drink most of the teas I drink very weak (all fancy teas or at least earl grey), that works for me. Coffee I can get away with drinking socially, when it tends to affect me less, but I still have to be wary, and make sure I don't drink it anywhere up to  6 to 12 hours before I want to go to sleep, depending on how tired or insomniac-riddled i'm likely to be.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2007, 08:30:50 am »

I'm hell of bipolar and I get really, really irritable when I take any sort of caffeine. I can handle 2 cups of green tea per day, or some yerba mate', but I get really unpleasant when my system gets overloaded. I can't even really drink iced tea, it's too strong.

Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2007, 01:33:57 pm »

I'm up to about 12 12oz cups a day now.  That's 144 oz. of strong coffee.

Is that like a Mega Big Gulp or something?  By today's standards, that's probably a "medium."

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2007, 03:39:12 pm »

Is that like a Mega Big Gulp or something?  By today's standards, that's probably a "medium."

You mean 'Grande', surely?
I used to drink coffee like that. Back in my good ol' days of computing. Hence I drink infusiony type tea now, as if I can't smoke cigarettes, I need something that feels remotely like a vice. At least late on I can switch to scotch.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2007, 05:18:29 pm »

alternate-- just don't do what I did. DO NOT Slowly build up a tolerance and convince yourself you can go off of it. The next step is that you slowly fuck up almost all of your classes, and don't really realize this until the midterm rolls around.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2007, 07:09:14 am »

That sounds like good advice.  When I stop taking classes and start doing research it will probably be both possible and necessary for me to stop taking it, but for now it seems like a creepy but useful tool.  And I have the kind that only lasts for a few hours, so I can take it when I'm doing homework and let it wear off when I want to socialize or daydream or something, so that's good. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Coffee Or Tea Mother Bitches?
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2007, 07:11:16 pm »

yeah. I wish my parents hadn't been all "good for you, daniel!" when I told them I was off of it.
And it's just sitting there. Sitting in the cabinet...

is it illegal to take something which you used to have a prescription for? A friend needs to know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up