Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!  (Read 7125 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2003, 06:16:24 am »

I sort of liked this Drew cartoon, and the Johnny Cash thing was sort of funny in a platonic, thoughtful-but-not-visceral sort of way. Overall, sadly enough, probably still qualifies as one of the better VH installments.

[Edit: fixed late-night imprecise wording]
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2003, 07:48:47 am »

I think someone else touched on this, but it seems to me that if there is a fit fifteen out there, about 12 of them aren't pulling their weight. I would like to see more 'variety' in the 'variety hour' and, quite possibly, some of the others would bring the funny in a little more consistent way in that format.

Just thinking out loud.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2003, 08:33:46 am »

The VH is dead.  Just accept that it's not ever going to be good.  'stad's heart is obviously not in it - maybe it would be better if he didn't have to do something EVERY week, but could just keep it as a place where IF he got an idea for something funny he could put it there.

The Johnny Cash thing was lame, insomuch as it felt forced, plotted.

Phrases like "You stand here by this ugly plant" or "You cold got a peter in your mouth" do NOT feel stilted in the same way.  The strips are gold, man.  The VH... huge turd lumps.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2003, 11:08:48 am »

The Johnny Cash thing was pretty inopportune, though, huh?
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2003, 11:16:51 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
The Johnny Cash thing was pretty inopportune, though, huh?


You beat me to it. I think the 'Stad knew it was coming. He's like a glass ball of forthcoming images!
Or maybe it was just a coincedence...

(it's funny, I was listening to Hurt (the NIN version) purely by chance when te news item came on! - slashdot link about mould on cd's and how it affects them, and the one I downloaded was the one I know in the first place)
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2003, 05:08:19 pm »

... I'm assuming it was a coincidence, but Christ, that just sucked all the vestigial funny out of the entire concept. Time to turn to the ugly plant for consolation.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2003, 05:18:50 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
(it's funny, I was listening to Hurt (the NIN version)


Is there another?

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2003, 06:10:16 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "slink"
(it's funny, I was listening to Hurt (the NIN version)


Is there another?


Yes.
The relevance being Johnny Cash just did a version, for which he won a whole bunch of awards.
OK, so it's not hugely relevant, but it left me thinking, did he do a coevr or am I imagining it because it's playing in the background?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2003, 06:40:54 pm »

I thought he may have, from your reference, so I searched for "Johnny Cash Hurt" and found it via a paid mp3 site.

It's not so good.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2003, 06:48:46 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
I thought he may have, from your reference, so I searched for "Johnny Cash Hurt" and found it via a paid mp3 site.

It's not so good.


I've only heard it once. Can't remember when or why. I seem to recall thinking, even while hearing it - why cover it? It's one of those songs that there can only be one version of it.
i.e. Jane Says, Under the Bridge (or should have been, but alas, Britain had to spawn that band who did it who I forget the name of) and many others I can't think of right now!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2003, 06:54:26 pm »

True, but then there are covers that surpass the original, like Alient Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" or Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" (or even his "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window").

I suppose cover songs could be another thread in another place, though.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Oh happy day, it's Thursday again!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2003, 01:52:23 am »

See if you can find the video.  The video is excellent, and oddly prophetic.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up