I live in australia where broadband is only reliably available in major cities (defined as the 7 capital cities) and even though I live within half an hour of one of these I cannot get broadband by adsl, cable or wireless. The mobile phone coverage at my place stinks too.
Luckily we have a reasonably powerful national (read: rural) party so things are slowly getting better but sure as hell the government privatising our major communication provider didn't help (yeah thats right, the major communications company used to be part of the public service. AND THEY SOLD IT!).
The worst part is the people down the road from me can get ADSL (literally four houses down) and the people up the road from us are in range of wifi so it's really just my house.
This makes me sad.
At least we don't have crazy laws like this being proposed though, mind you some people in the opposition have proposed mandatory filtering options at the ISP level, meaning you would need to apply to your isp to get access to all the smut and violence (for the 'won't somebody think of the children' reason rather than the 'lets give huge companies a way to make MORE money!' reason), I don't care for that one bit. It's cool though, they haven't been elected in over a decade and have gone through about three or four leaders in the last three years so we're in no danger from that front yet.
Actually now that I think about it your government does seem to go out of it's way to allow giant companies to make more and more money and the expense of the people with the, y'know, votes. I know this is because to be elected president you need a huge bundle of money and so on but I can't help thinking this wouldn't happen if the president wasn't so independant of their party. Over here the party just elects their leader internally and run as a party, so while there is exactly 0 chance of an independant being elected leader of our country that doesn't seem to be happening over there either.
To tangent totally (and probably piss people off) I've always thought there was something a bit weird about this artificial god-emperor position you guys have created, you have all the same levels of elected officials we do but then make it all moot by electing one guy (I was going to say person but hey, let's be realistic) who can just veto the whole shebang, seems messy. Makes it harder for one group to take total control I suppose but at the same time your congress (and senate and whatever else) seems to have proven itself either unwilling or unable to even challenge a leader commiting large scale international acts that are unpopular with (at best) a large minority of your citizenry.
I'm sorry what were we talking about again?